Author Topic: st chads school brearley street in the 60s  (Read 3828 times)

asprin2

st chads school brearley street in the 60s
« on: January 28, 2016, 04:17:07 PM »
Hi there does anyone remember the teachers in the middle 60s ,i can remember sister ethna also sister veronica  ,im not sure but i think there was a mr begley also mr foley ,miss burns ,i left in 1965 or 1966 ,had some good memories, some  names of my class was m.remedious...frank mcinerny m coppage,tommy burke p  tumelty t.ford , e.cox both females ,im just curious if these people are still around and doing well ,i lived in park lane aston .

by the way my name is p.wade.

Phil

• Global Moderator
Re: st chads school brearley street in the 60s
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 04:31:47 PM »
Hello Asprin

Welcome to the forum, I'm sure that if we had any members that attended St Chads School in Brearley Street during the years that you mention they will contact you. Unfortunately it was the wrong side of town and a little late for myself.
Make Love Not War

astoness

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 07:17:02 PM »
hello asprin where abouts on park lane did you live what number house was it...i am also from aston..born in paddington st off summer lane...i have quite a few photos of park lane prior to demolision....

all the best :)

lyn

asprin2

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 08:30:58 PM »
Hi lyn, i lived at 4/86a we had to go up a long steep entry and our house was right at the top ,near a family called  the kemps ,
the entry was on the left just past the pub ,dont know the name of it ,goings towards hp.

all the best

astoness

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2016, 12:02:26 AM »
asprin here is a photo of st chads school...

Phil

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2016, 10:45:38 AM »
Lyn

Knowing what problems you have posting photos to this forum, I'll post a larger copy of St Chads School Brearley Street in 1983 for you,
Make Love Not War

frederick

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2016, 10:55:47 AM »
I used to spend a lot of time not to far from Park lane. We had premises in Albert rd I believe there is a school there now.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

astoness

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2016, 10:39:21 PM »
thanks for posting the larger photo phil...thats much better

lyn O0

Lin

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2016, 12:17:16 PM »
Hi yes I attended Brierley st school in the 1960s I remember Mr.Begley, sister Ethna and sister Veronica and in most cases the cruelty of sister Ethna, I often wondered what had happend to her. The main focus as you will know was on religion, I left there in 1967/1968.

asprin2

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2016, 05:41:22 PM »
hi Lin ,nice to hear from you ,do you remember any of the names i mentioned above ,yes i remember the cane from sister ethna,
a few more i can remember ..Michael remedious.   Fred mcinerny, Sean canavan,

Lin

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2016, 11:42:46 PM »
Hi, nice to hear from you I seem to remember a Micheal Coppage he wasn't in my class I think he was a year above. In the year I left (1968) we were being taught by sister Veronica which wasn't pleasant, I remember a girl in our class plucked her eyebrows so sister Ethna made her sit in the hall outside the classroom until her eyebrows grew back.  Do you remember how you were not allowed to put your hand on the bannister when you walked up or down the stairs and if they caught you you could get caned 

When you speak to anyone about the way we were taught at St Chads they can't beleive it it's like we attended school in the 1930s.