Author Topic: INKERMAN STREET VAUXHALL  (Read 15413 times)

Janetbrown

Re: INKERMAN STREET VAUXHALL
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2016, 02:06:21 PM »

Hello John. I was born in Alma Crescent in 1944 and my brother was born in 1942. We both went to school at Loxton Street. Our names are William Brown(Billy) and Janet. Perhaps you remember my brother from school. He was at Loxton Street from infants and through to the senior boys.
JanB

Diggory Jons

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2016, 10:39:30 PM »
Hello Janet Brown
 John Gore. He fell with a ruler in his mouth and talked with some difficulty afterwards. His parents moved to Trent Tower and lived next
to relatives of mine. He would know me as Gerald.
Diggory

Diggory Jons

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2016, 12:38:47 PM »
Hello Janet
Do you remember any of the following girls
Mary Ottawell
Margaret Brooks
June Watts
Beryl Fallon

I think you might know me and perhaps your brother does as well. Do you remember the Hoptons and the Crowes.
At Loxton Street School did you have Mrs Curtiss, Mrs O'Neil, Mr White, Mr Davies and Miss ( The Slap across the face ) Smith.
Look forward to hearing from you.
Diggory in Wales..Gerald White In England.   

Janetbrown

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2016, 06:24:04 PM »
Hello Gerald?
The girls I remember from my early years in loxton street were
Carol Jones, Joan Hook, Shirley Smith, beryl Hollingsworth, Christine Adams, Lorna Grassic
The boys - Peter Rock, Brian Smith, Ronald tarpy, Victor danks
The head when I first started school was Mr Hawkins who was later replaced by Mr Sims.
Miss Smith retired after she taught our class and the school bought her a fireside chair for her retirement. She also taught my oldest brother and my sister who are 10 and 9 yrs older than me respectively.  I remember Mr White, Mr Jones and Mr Davies. There was also Miss Hewitt who taught us in the first year and a Miss Lumsden who followed me to my senior school in Water Orton.
The other names sound familiar but I can't recall their beings, however my sister may know of them.
JanB

GardenGerald

« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2016, 10:36:36 AM »
Hello Janet
What senior school did you go to.
GardenGerald

Janetbrown

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2016, 11:21:06 AM »
Hello GardenGerald

In answer to your question, I went to Park Hall High School for girls, Water Orton, as it was then called. The boys' school was joined to it at the dining hall and the art classroom.
JanB

Diggory Jons

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2016, 11:29:39 AM »
I knew that school quite well. Played cricket there a few times. Did you go into Water Orton much. The Water Orton School next to the village green will be pulled down if the HS2 is built. The row of houses in Attleborough Lane will also go. Great shame to see the destruction of a village.
Take care
Diggory

Janetbrown

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2016, 01:22:07 PM »
Hi Diggory

My family moved to Meriden Drive, Kingshurst in 1954. Chelmsley Wood was still woodland. Wally still lived in Kingshurst Hall. Cooks Lane was a lane. Bacons End was a small island at the crossroads of the Birmingham Rd, Chester Road, Cooks Lane and the main road to Stonebridge. I spent most of my free time either in the woods or at the 'lido' (river Cole)in Coleshill. I would walk to Coleshill over the fields, past Coleshill Hall Hospital.
I didn't spend much time in Water Orton village although it is where my late husband was born. My in-laws are both buried in the cemetery at Water Orton church.

Janet
JanB

Diggory Jons

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2016, 01:59:45 PM »
Hello Janet
I knew the area very well but so much of it changed. Green Lane Castle Bromwich was farms but now all built on. Coleshill was a big attraction with the river to paddle in. Did you ever pick Bluebells at Castle Bromwich Hall. Do you remember Rawlins Farm and all the horse and carts.
My route to about 40 years of age was Vauxhall, Castle Bromwich then Water Orton.
What were the names of your in laws and were did they live in Water Orton.
Take care...Diggory

Janetbrown

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2016, 04:37:23 PM »
Hello again Diggory
In answer to your question, my in-laws names were Lionel aka Len or Leo, and Ethel Brown. They lived in a small cottage on the lane that led to Minworth, not far from the sewage farm. They moved from there to kingshurst around 1954. Ethel's dad was the station master at Water Orton station and his name was Felgate and lived in Castle Bromwich. However I think we are in the wrong place for reminiscing about this area.

My route from birth to present day is, Alma Crescent, Vauxhall (my granny Lil lived Inkerman Street and my Granny Brown lived in Weston Street, Bloomsbury), then to Kingsthurst, then Germany, back to Kingshurst and then to Kenilworth.

Janet
JanB

Diggory Jons

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2016, 08:32:06 PM »
Hello Janet
Perhaps we are but its nice having a chat with you about the areas we know and grew up in. Its seems that very few children in the Vauxhall area went to loxton street  school. I have typed it in to search but not much comes up. The school held about 800 pupils. My days there were quite happy ones.
Bst wishes
Diggory

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy