Author Topic: INKERMAN STREET VAUXHALL  (Read 15416 times)

Janetbrown

Re: INKERMAN STREET VAUXHALL
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2016, 01:05:37 PM »
Hello John Gore
I was born in Alma Crescent in 1944 and lived there until the family moved in 1954. My order sister was born in Inkerman Street at No. 50 which is where my Grannie Lil lived. I was speaking to my sister last night and here are some names you may recall:-
The Rakes, Iris, Thelma, Johnny, Edna, Pauline and the youngest son whom she thinks was called Lesley. Then there was Rita Bud, Pat and Barbara Green, the Longs who had 7daughters, Jeannie, Doreen Betty Maureen, Barbara Winnie and Christine. She couldn't remember the name of the people that ran the Brit but they had a son called Arthur. The Richardson's ran a sweet shop, Dorothy, Tommy and Dennis. She remembers the name of Gore but seems to think that the children she remembers were older than you. The shop on the corner of Inkerman Street and Alma Crescent belonged to Mrs Speak and on the opposite corner was Beryl Disturnell's shop.
There are of course many other memories that she has. My sister's name is Maisie Brown. Do any of these names mean anything to you?
Janet
JanB

GardenGerald

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2016, 04:36:40 PM »
Hello Jane
I remember some of the names. Did Pat Green have a Brother David. Also remember the Disturnells shop. What year was your sister born.
John Gore had an elder Brother but I do not remember his name. The Longs also rings a bell. Hope John replies to your post.
Gerald...Garden Gerald.

Janetbrown

« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2016, 05:03:46 PM »
Hello Gerald

My sister was born in 1935 (she won't forgive me for publishing that). She, my oldest brother and my mom lived with my Gran in Inkerman Street and my father lived with his mom and dad in Weston Street until they got the house in Alma Crescent. My brother was Edwin Brown and my sister was Maisie.

Her memory of the 'old end' is phenomenal. She went to Loxton Street school and then on to Lingard street girls school. I used to have to share a bed with her and would lie awake waiting for her to come home and tell me tales of her escapades on her nights out.

At this time I was the youngest child in the family. I had another brother who was born in 1942 and he also went to Loxton Street school until he started work at the age of 15. His name is William (Billy) Brown.
JanB

GardenGerald

« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2016, 06:08:53 PM »
Your Brother Billie Brown must know me, I remember his name.  I am 1 year older but went to Loxton Street from 1945 to 1956.
Dos he remember Mr Haydyn Jones, Mr Wells, Mr Bond, Mr Martin and the Headmaster Mr Ian Jones. It was a great school. Happy Days.
Gerald...Garden Gerald...Gerald White

Janetbrown

« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2016, 06:29:01 PM »
Hello Gerald
All 4 of us children started our education at Loxton Street and I agree with you that it was a really good school. Although Billy was the only one of us who completed his education at the same school. My oldest brother passed his 11 plus and went to Saltley Grammar. When I next speak with Billy, I will ask him who he can remember.

Some of his mates from that time period were Johnny Wilkins or Wilkinson, Brian Stanton, ? Moore.

Janet
JanB

GardenGerald

« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2016, 08:12:59 PM »
Hello Janet
I remember Brian Stanton
Take care
Garden Gerald

JOHN GORE

« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2016, 09:00:40 PM »

HELLO  JANET  BROWN  MANY  THANKS  TO  REPLYING  TO  MY  MESSAGE  I  LIVED  AT  109  INKERMAN  ST    LAST
  GARDEN  FURTHEST  AWAY  FROM  ALMA  CRESCENT   MY  ELDER  BROTHER  RONALD  WAS  BORN IN  1934  AND EVACUATED
TO  OVERSEAL  BURTON  ON  TRENT  HE  WAS  8  YEARS  OLDER  THAN  ME   WITH  A  LOT  OF  GROUP  OF FRIENDS  MY  SISTER
ALMA  BORN  1936  BOTH  OF   THEM  HAD  DIFFERENT GROUP  OF  FRIENDS  TO  ME  NATURALLY
MY  MEMORIES  I  REMEMBER  DISTENALLS  VERY  WELL        THE  SHOP  ON  THE  OTHER  CORNER  IN  1960
WHEN  I  WAS  18   WENT  OUT WITH  THE SHOP  GIRL  SHELIA  FOR  A  WHILE      MY  DAD  WILFRED  FREQUENTLY
DRANK  AT  THE  BRIT   THE  SMALL  SHOPS  ON THE  CORNERS   I  REMEMBER  THE   FRUIT  AND
VEGETABLE SHOP  IN  ALMA  CRESCENT  OPP   VAUXHALL  STATION &  THE  CARRIAGES  CLEANING  SHEDS
ME  AND  KENNY  POWELL  NO  97  INK   USED  TO  PLAY  FOOTBALL  TOP  OF  ALMA  CRESCENT  THE  BALL
MANY  TIMES  GOING  IN  THE  GARDENS  OF  DOLLMAN  ST    WE  KNEW  THE  NICHOLLS  FAMILY  THE HOUSE
ON  THE  OTHER  END  OF  THE  ONES  WITH  FRONT  GARDEN  THAT  WAS  THE  ENTRANCE  TO  OUR  BACK
GARDENS  THE  NICHOLLS  HAD  THE  FIRST  MOTORBIKE  COMBINATION  FIRST  CAR  3  WHEELER  1ST
TV  WE  ALL  CROWDED INTO  SEE  CORONATION IN  1953  THEY  HAD  2  CHILDREN  BRIAN   &VALERIE
SAME AGE  AS  ME  I  THINK    I  REMEMBER  MY  KISS  WITH  JOAN  HOOK  LIVED  LOWER
PART  OF  ALMA  CRESCENT   IN  AN  ENTRY  SEEN  BY  BOYS  IN  MY  YEAR  DID   I  GET  SOME  STICK  NEXT  DAY
WHOLE  SCHOOL  NEW  I  THINK  HAPPY  DAYS  JOHN  GORE

Hello John Gore
I was born in Alma Crescent in 1944 and lived there until the family moved in 1954. My order sister was born in Inkerman Street at No. 50 which is where my Grannie Lil lived. I was speaking to my sister last night and here are some names you may recall:-
The Rakes, Iris, Thelma, Johnny, Edna, Pauline and the youngest son whom she thinks was called Lesley. Then there was Rita Bud, Pat and Barbara Green, the Longs who had 7daughters, Jeannie, Doreen Betty Maureen, Barbara Winnie and Christine. She couldn't remember the name of the people that ran the Brit but they had a son called Arthur. The Richardson's ran a sweet shop, Dorothy, Tommy and Dennis. She remembers the name of Gore but seems to think that the children she remembers were older than you. The shop on the corner of Inkerman Street and Alma Crescent belonged to Mrs Speak and on the opposite corner was Beryl Disturnell's shop.
There are of course many other memories that she has. My sister's name is Maisie Brown. Do any of these names mean anything to you?
Janet

GardenGerald

« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2016, 09:20:46 PM »
Hello John
We have had a few chats on Friend Re United but that closed down. Hope you are well, lets know what you are up to these days. Your sister Alma was a nurse. Look forward to hearing from you.
Take Care.....Gerald White..Cathcart Street.

Janetbrown

« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2016, 11:11:16 AM »
Hello again John

I have just read your reply to my post and I smiled reading about your kiss with Joan Hook. She was my friend from before we started school until my family moved to Kingshurst when I was 10yrs old in 1954. Her brother was Raymond, about 10 years older than me. I lived almost opposite from Joan at No. 15 Alma Crescent, next door to Peter Rock who was 1 month younger than I.

I also remember watching the coronation on television. Joan, Peter and I were sitting on the kerbside peering through the window of Mrs Howard (or Haworth) house. She had a son Robert, younger than us, and she invited us in to watch the ceremony. Afterwards came the street party.

In our part of Alma Crescent, the owner of the first car was our other neighbour, Mr Duckett. It was black and had a running board along the sides, probably an early Austin.

I remember my first ten years with great fondness and love reading everyone else's memories. My dad also drank in the Brit. His name was Alf Brown and he worked at Dunlop's.

Take care
Janet
JanB

Janetbrown

« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2016, 01:56:17 PM »
HELLO  JANET  BROWN  MANY  THANKS  TO  REPLYING  TO  MY  MESSAGE  I  LIVED  AT  109  INKERMAN  ST    LAST
  GARDEN  FURTHEST  AWAY  FROM  ALMA  CRESCENT   MY  ELDER  BROTHER  RONALD  WAS  BORN IN  1934  AND EVACUATED
TO  OVERSEAL  BURTON  ON  TRENT  HE  WAS  8  YEARS  OLDER  THAN  ME   WITH  A  LOT  OF  GROUP  OF FRIENDS  MY  SISTER
ALMA  BORN  1936  BOTH  OF   THEM  HAD  DIFFERENT GROUP  OF  FRIENDS  TO  ME  NATURALLY
MY  MEMORIES  I  REMEMBER  DISTENALLS  VERY  WELL        THE  SHOP  ON  THE  OTHER  CORNER  IN  1960
WHEN  I  WAS  18   WENT  OUT WITH  THE SHOP  GIRL  SHELIA  FOR  A  WHILE      MY  DAD  WILFRED  FREQUENTLY
DRANK  AT  THE  BRIT   THE  SMALL  SHOPS  ON THE  CORNERS   I  REMEMBER  THE   FRUIT  AND
VEGETABLE SHOP  IN  ALMA  CRESCENT  OPP   VAUXHALL  STATION &  THE  CARRIAGES  CLEANING  SHEDS
ME  AND  KENNY  POWELL  NO  97  INK   USED  TO  PLAY  FOOTBALL  TOP  OF  ALMA  CRESCENT  THE  BALL
MANY  TIMES  GOING  IN  THE  GARDENS  OF  DOLLMAN  ST    WE  KNEW  THE  NICHOLLS  FAMILY  THE HOUSE
ON  THE  OTHER  END  OF  THE  ONES  WITH  FRONT  GARDEN  THAT  WAS  THE  ENTRANCE  TO  OUR  BACK
GARDENS  THE  NICHOLLS  HAD  THE  FIRST  MOTORBIKE  COMBINATION  FIRST  CAR  3  WHEELER  1ST
TV  WE  ALL  CROWDED INTO  SEE  CORONATION IN  1953  THEY  HAD  2  CHILDREN  BRIAN   &VALERIE
SAME AGE  AS  ME  I  THINK    I  REMEMBER  MY  KISS  WITH  JOAN  HOOK  LIVED  LOWER
PART  OF  ALMA  CRESCENT   IN  AN  ENTRY  SEEN  BY  BOYS  IN  MY  YEAR  DID   I  GET  SOME  STICK  NEXT  DAY
WHOLE  SCHOOL  NEW  I  THINK  HAPPY  DAYS  JOHN  GORE

Hello John

I was having trouble with my tablet and kept losing my reply to you. I hope you enjoyed your kiss with Joan? I must have left by then. I remember that her mom's name was Amy and I can remember her Gran lived in the front room until she died. We used to play in the entry that led to our back gardens. Was that the one you kissed in?

Take care
Janet
JanB

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2017, 06:58:43 PM »
Hi Janet Brown,I was born in1939 at 183 Inkerman St , my brother Roy was born in 1936 .We lived opposite  Pickfords the grocers My friends were Bobby Bowden and Kenny Bowden ,Tommy Friar, Ray Crosley he had a sister called Betty, my brothers best friend was named Ray Hook he lived up by Disternals up your end Edmund Fifield
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy