Author Topic: INKERMAN STREET VAUXHALL  (Read 15412 times)

Janetbrown

Re: INKERMAN STREET VAUXHALL
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2017, 01:29:29 PM »
Hi Janet Brown,I was born in1939 at 183 Inkerman St , my brother Roy was born in 1936 .We lived opposite  Pickfords the grocers My friends were Bobby Bowden and Kenny Bowden ,Tommy Friar, Ray Crosley he had a sister called Betty, my brothers best friend was named Ray Hook he lived up by Disternals up your end Edmund Fifield

Hello Edmund

I remember Raymond Hook. His young sister, Joan, was my best friend. I spent many hours in her house. I saw Raymond a good few years back at a Vauxhall reunion but haven't seen him since, nor have I seen or heard from my childhood friend, Joan.
JanB

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2017, 02:41:04 PM »
Hi Janet ,My brother and Hookie as we called him when'it everywhere together,they went to Loxton St school up to 1952,My brother Roy Fifieldwho died 4 years ago always went to the reunions .They were organized by my cousin Brian Round who owns R T P  Crisps,and my aunt Margret who lived at 2 back of 183 till she got married she had a sister named Francis Fifield .Wonder if you new them.
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Janetbrown

« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2017, 06:33:59 PM »
Hi Edmund, I was born at 15 Alma Crescent in 1944 so both you and your brother were older than me and therefore wouldn't have been among my playmates. However, my oldest brother and sister, who were born 1934 and 1935 respectively, probably remember them. My brother has died but my sister is still with us and the next time I speak with her I shall pass on your names. It was through their contacts that we went to the reunions, both Vauxhall and Loxton Street.
Janet

Ps my brother's names was Edwin, we called him Alf, and my sister is Maisie. Our family name is Brown.
JanB

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2017, 06:46:15 PM »
Hi Janet .Do you remember between 1947-49 they used to have a girls band  from Trittiford Mill who marched up  and down Inkerman St playing there Gazzoo's.Some of us lads fell in love with them,I was 8 or9 at the time Edmund Fifield
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Janetbrown

« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2017, 07:39:45 PM »
Log
Hello again Edmund, I can't remember that particular band but do have vague recollections of some sort of carnival/parade during that time period. I think it was organized from the Brit but I might be wrong, and there was also a fair on one of the bomb sites. There was floats and I vaguely remember sitting with other children on a flat top and the highlight of the day was a visit from Dick Turpin, Randolph Turpin`s older brother. Apparently Randolph had just won his boxing title. Can you or anyone else remember the event?
Janet
JanB

pricecauser75@btinternet.

« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2017, 11:16:08 AM »
Log
Hello again Edmund, I can't remember that particular band but do have vague recollections of some sort of carnival/parade during that time period. I think it was organized from the Brit but I might be wrong, and there was also a fair on one of the bomb sites. There was floats and I vaguely remember sitting with other children on a flat top and the highlight of the day was a visit from Dick Turpin, Randolph Turpin`s older brother. Apparently Randolph had just won his boxing title. Can you or anyone else remember the event?
Janet
Hi Janet
I do remember it - I have a photo of myself aged about 3/4 with Dick Turpin taken at the carnival but I'm not sure which road it was taken in, although my grandad, Bill Fogg, lived in Inkerman Street. Do you know which year it was? My family lived at 46 Dollman Street (my grandad's shop, run by his sister Lil), and my great aunties/uncles (all Fogg) lived at 48 and 44.  Their father and mother had lived at 44 since before 1911.
Regards
Julia 

jawatkins

« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2018, 01:20:05 PM »
Hi Phil, John , and anyone else from Inkerman St , Aston.

Came across your posts today while talking to my husband about Inkerman street.  I am Mr Homer's grand daughter.  My Grandad (Henry known as Harry) and Dad (Len) ran the firm until it moved to Tamworth in late 60s, early 70s, I cant remember, I was only young.  I do remember visiting them at the works, the curve in Inkerman Street, its quirky name, the paasageway into the site, the funny shaped office because it was squashed up between the entrance and the house next door.

I was so amazed and pleased to read posts of people who lived next door to the entrance and even worked there, lovely to hear it was "not a bad company to work for".

Thanks for putting a smile on my face and a tear in my eye. 
J

GardenGerald

« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2018, 01:59:08 PM »
Hello Pricecauser
Did Mr Smith house his horse at he back of the shop in Dollman Street.
I remember some of the names you mention. Gerald.

pricecauser75@btinternet.

« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2018, 06:33:52 PM »
I'll ask my mum Reta Fogg, who's 93 this year, about the horse.  She and her Dad and 2 sisters lived at 5 back of 40 Dollman Street, opposite the 'brewhouse', with the railway line siding at the end of the yard.  Their mother Ada May tragically died when she was 30 after giving birth to a son. All the sisters went to Loxton Street School and my mum worked at Madeley's factory at the end of Dollman Street, and my aunt worked at Tants.  I lived at number 46 , in the rooms behind the shop itself until I was 9 in1957, when we were re-housed to Tile Cross after I developed rheumatic fever.  Before then, my cousin Olive and I went to St Anne's in Devon Street. The Foggs stayed in Dollman Street until they were rehoused to Kingshurst and Castle Vale estates many years later.  Happy memories of my Big Aunty May making cinder toffee and toffee apples for Bonfire night, and her sitting on the step peeling onions ready for the empty big sweet jars from the shop for pickled onions!

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2018, 08:20:27 PM »
Hi Phil, John , and anyone else from Inkerman St , Aston.

Came across your posts today while talking to my husband about Inkerman street.  I am Mr Homer's grand daughter.  My Grandad (Henry known as Harry) and Dad (Len) ran the firm until it moved to Tamworth in late 60s, early 70s, I cant remember, I was only young.  I do remember visiting them at the works, the curve in Inkerman Street, its quirky name, the paasageway into the site, the funny shaped office because it was squashed up between the entrance and the house next door.

I was so amazed and pleased to read posts of people who lived next door to the entrance and even worked there, lovely to hear it was "not a bad company to work for".

Thanks for putting a smile on my face and a tear in my eye. 
J

Hi Jackie

I have answered you already on the other thread but I thought I would share another memory, I remember one day when your grandfather picked up a new car from the dealers and when he got back to the factory he called everybody outside to see it. If I remember correctly it was a Singer Gazelle he was obviously as pleased as punch with it.

By it was Inkerman Street Vauxhall or even Duddeston and although there was an Inkerman Street in Aston it was not the one where your family's factory was located.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Paul.

« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2018, 09:36:31 PM »
My grandmother Rosina was a 'Fogg', the family lived in Malthouse Lane, Washwood Heath, 1901 census.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy