Author Topic: Best Chip Shop In Brum  (Read 16561 times)

lolly

Re: Best Chip Shop In Brum
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2011, 03:43:00 PM »
We used birds chippy on the moseley rd good walk but worth it , then they opened one in wenman st run by greeks i think, 6 old pennys for a six of chips , feed the family for half a crown .

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2011, 06:38:15 PM »
Lolly

Birds used to be a good chippy, I'll agree with that but they were a miserable family. I thought fat be were supposed to be happy (I'm rather portly myself) but I think I have a happier attitude than they did.

The chippy at the opposite the Medina in Edward rd used to be pretty good in the 50's and early 60's in between the Butchers and Coopers newsagents. I can't remember the name.

But without a doubt the best chippy in Brum in those times was Bedders down the Cov at Hay Mills.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Steve

« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2011, 11:59:21 AM »
Those were the days when chips were brown and crispy and tasty. Now you mostly get white, soggy excuses that fall apart when you try to pick them up. At the moment the best chips round here come from my deep fat frying pan. Had an electric on but threw it out, just wouldn't get hot enough to cook owt but soggies.
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2011, 12:21:14 PM »
i member a chippy on the Moseley road by the baths almost next to the imperial flicks   limegrove about 1962  they not only sold fish and chips but faggets and peas and on a Friday sold pigs trotters  chips 6P fish a shilling faggets 7p trotters 10p this was in real money but the best was a meat pie made by Brazil's 10p
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2011, 07:18:13 PM »
Roy

The only  place I remember between the Imperial on the corner of Clifton Rd and The Art School on the corner of Lime Grove was Butchers Transfers.

The closest chippy I remember was on the other side of the road in between the New Inns and the Laundrette.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

townie

« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2014, 02:26:31 PM »
Hi Does anybody remember the Chippie T James corner of  Oozells Street / Sheepcote Street.
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

CaroleC

« Reply #50 on: February 21, 2014, 08:43:02 PM »
Those were the days when chips were brown and crispy and tasty. Now you mostly get white, soggy excuses that fall apart when you try to pick them up. At the moment the best chips round here come from my deep fat frying pan. Had an electric on but threw it out, just wouldn't get hot enough to cook owt but soggies.

Does anyone remember the fish and chip shop in Adderley road Saltley, just round from St Saviours road, in the 60s you could get scallops for 1p and a bag of batter for the same.  ;D

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy