Author Topic: Does anybody have any old pics of Highfield Road Hall Green?  (Read 4295 times)

Bellmeadow

Does anybody have any old pics of Highfield Road Hall Green?
« on: February 12, 2016, 06:04:32 PM »
Does anybody have any old pictures of Highfield Road Hall Green?

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Does anybody have any old pics of Highfield Road Hall Green?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2016, 06:20:42 PM »
Bellmeadow,

What part of Highfield Rd and Rd and how old do you want them?
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 07:10:13 PM »
Some more photos of Highfield Road through the years.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Bellmeadow

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2016, 05:03:34 AM »
Thank you so much for sending the pictures of Highfield Road. I lived there in the mid seventies directly opposite the shops. I remember Mrs. self who owned the grocery  shop.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 05:01:11 PM »
Just the last few I have, including a late one of Highfield House just before it was demolished. It amused me because they made more fuss about the felling of the tree at the front of the house than thet did about demolishing a fine old building. Yet nothing was said about the 20 or 30 trees to the rear that were felled.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

john williams

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2017, 09:04:02 PM »
I lived on Highfield road opposite Mrs Self shop she sold almost everything but you had to be careful not to eat bad food or fall down holes in the floor.She always burnt food around the back and you had to watch out for the odd rat or two just in case you got attacked Mrs Self lived on Robin Hood lane I also remember Jacks fish and chip shop Jack and his sister sadly passed away from cancer his wife still lives around the corner from the new chip shop.The house on the corner which was knocked down for new houses was great we went to parties there twice a year and went on train rides around the garden,the house was offered to my mother as there was no further extended family to leave the home to but my mother said should felt it was wrong, I also looked after Mrs Ingram home and garden for her.I have loads more history of Highfield road

MrsSs

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2020, 09:50:41 PM »
I remember Self’s very well indeed. I’m 71 and as a child recall Self’s as a filthy store. I lived in Robin Hood Crescent and regularly walked to these shops with my mother. There was a hardware shop - Payton’s? Mrs Woolley, haberdashery appropriately, a butcher, hairdresser, chemist,  grocery on the corner. Opposite was Highfield Hall which became the annex for Hall Green infant school to accommodate those of us the main school could not accommodate. I used to walk there alone age 6/7.

3 gresham

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2021, 09:34:42 AM »
I remember Self’s very well indeed. I’m 71 and as a child recall Self’s as a filthy store. I lived in Robin Hood Crescent and regularly walked to these shops with my mother. There was a hardware shop - Payton’s? Mrs Woolley, haberdashery appropriately, a butcher, hairdresser, chemist,  grocery on the corner. Opposite was Highfield Hall which became the annex for Hall Green infant school to accommodate those of us the main school could not accommodate. I used to walk there alone age 6/7.

3 gresham

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2021, 09:42:20 AM »
I remember selfs, and the chemist on the corner of Blackburne rd run by the bruckshaws two sons Ian and Jamie, I lived in. Gresham rd Robin Hood lane end and went to Roslyn school  as you know that school is just inside Birmingham. And I remember the head mistress answering the phone saying Roslyn high school Solihull  she was livid as she was just outside by the 37 bus terminus  I used to walk there from Gresham rd also before it was HallGreen infants and the Hall Green school on Stratford rd. there was a garage on. The parade of shops in Robin Hood lane just before turn left down Highfield road. Sweet shop there and toy shop  loved it there left In 1964 to Solihull. Am 69 now can remember lots of names of the other kids

frederick

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2021, 02:30:53 PM »
3 Gresham,
Both my sons went to Roslyn school on the Stratford rd from 1972.    O0    I think they still have the same uniform colours.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy