Author Topic: Sparkbrook  (Read 13747 times)

Old Git

Sparkbrook
« on: March 08, 2016, 03:37:19 PM »
Hi everyone
This is my first post so please be gentle with me.

I lived in Sparkbrook from 1951 to1963.
We lived in Lime Grove on the Stratford Road directly opposite the Baptist Church.
I went to Stratford Road School, and then on to Golden Hillock Seondary Modern.
Was a member of the 2nd Boys Brigade based in the Baptist Church.
We used to spend most nights either in "the hut" at the side of the Church or in the hall at youth club or on Parade.
Great times,does anyone remember?

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Sparkbrook
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2016, 03:53:02 PM »
Hi Old Git

Welcome to the forum, we are always gentle with newbies, I'm sorry to say that even though I knew Sparkbrook well having lived there on and off I hadn't a clue where Lime Grove was and the only one I knew of was on Moseley Rd by the Art School. So I looked it up and found it was where the Aldi store is now, well in that sort of area. Sorry but the BB wasn't my scene as I was in the scouts (in Vincent St)  and later the Army Cadets (Stoney Lane).
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 03:57:26 PM »
hi og
           welcome to the forum  Lime Grove now the only lime grove that I know of was off the Mosley road by the swimming baths  farm road park was my play ground I was there in the late 50s and 60s  most Sunday afternoon you would find me in farm park on the black patch playing cricket  40 or 50 of us  just a shot in the dark I had a friend Trever carson  his nick name was tc one night he was having a dream about superman and he jumped out of his bedroom window  1959 or there abouts roy
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Old Git

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 05:05:36 PM »
Hi Phil/Roy one
We were always getting post for Lime Grove Moseley Road.
Our Lime Grove was roughly behind where Aldi is now,between the doctors surgery and I think it was Smith's Builders.
I remember a Trevor Carson at junior school but I don't think he came to Golden Hillock.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2016, 05:48:42 PM »
no he did not go to golden hillock   he was a clever clogs and went on to grammar I think he lived in white road  with his mom and sister the last time I seen him was over 50 years ago  we built a bit of a boat and took it up the cut  the b.s.a cut  that was over 60 years ago  some kid  by the name of lions mick was giving him a kicking so he stopped going out
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Richinredditch

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2016, 11:54:13 AM »
Hi I'm new on here and trying to do some research into my family, The family name is Williams we had a betting shop in Sandy Lane and Bradford Street
just wondering if anyone had any old pictures or remember these shops

I know its a long shot but I have trawled the internet not found anything yet

Thanks

planetmalc

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2016, 02:59:04 PM »
I'm nor sure where Sparkhill ends and Sparkbrook begins, but when I went past Walford Road yesterday, I noticed that the vacant land on the south corner of the Stratford Road/Stoney Lane junction had been invaded by what looked like travellers, but their cars/caravans all had foreign number-plates. :o     
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2016, 03:47:08 PM »
PM

This photo was taken in 1960 before the Stoney Lane, Stratford Rd, Walford Rd junction was straightened out.  All the buildings to the left of the sign disappeared under the new road. From what you say I would think the travellers are just inside the borders of Sparkhill. Perhaps they are the people who were working at the German Market just before Christmas and they have decided to hang around until next year. Most of them were Romanian.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Old Git

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2016, 05:25:12 PM »
I always thought Spakhill started past the Mermaid pub.
The picture you posted brings back memories, on the corner of Stratford Road and Stoney Lane there was Springs outdoor. They used to sell sweets with 1/2d chews, and 1d ice lollies.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2016, 08:20:14 PM »
OG

According to this old map Sparkhill started on the south side of Walford Rd. The boundary line is the red line that runs down Walford Rd.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Old Git

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2016, 09:13:12 PM »
Just goes to show, I walked down Walford Road to school for years and never knew it was Sparkhill. Saying that I think Golden Hillock was in Sparkhill. Still in those days it wasn't all that important to a 13/15 year old.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy