Author Topic: Sparkbrook  (Read 13751 times)

planetmalc

Re: Sparkbrook
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2016, 02:50:43 PM »
According to this old map Sparkhill started on the south side of Walford Rd. The boundary line is the red line that runs down Walford Rd.

Cheers, Phil.     That's a nice map   -   whose is it?
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

planetmalc

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2016, 02:51:59 PM »
I always thought Spakhill started past the Mermaid pub.
The picture you posted brings back memories, on the corner of Stratford Road and Stoney Lane there was Springs outdoor. They used to sell sweets with 1/2d chews, and 1d ice lollies.

I remember a Bata shoe shop there, too.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2016, 02:59:38 PM »

Cheers, Phil.     That's a nice map   -   whose is it?

PM

It's one of my own, a Bartholomew's Plan of Birmingham on cloth from 1942 costing the massive amount of 5 shillings. It's about one of the best I have and just a bit worn in the creases where it folds.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

planetmalc

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2016, 03:59:41 PM »
PM

It's one of my own, a Bartholomew's Plan of Birmingham on cloth from 1942 costing the massive amount of 5 shillings. It's about one of the best I have and just a bit worn in the creases where it folds.

Cheers, Phil! O0

planetmalc

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2016, 03:48:15 PM »
........when I went past Walford Road yesterday, I noticed that the vacant land on the south corner of the Stratford Road/Stoney Lane junction had been invaded by what looked like travellers, but their cars/caravans all had foreign number-plates. :o     

They've gone now. O0

townie

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2017, 09:25:36 PM »

There are lots of people on here who was either born or roamed Sparkbrook so here's one for you. 1971 can you put a name to this women or her children? I know its a long shot but you never know.

Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Johnnyboy

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2017, 12:21:41 AM »
Hello old git
I knew lime grove very well. Born round the corner in beechfield road. Went to golden hillock from 1960-1965. Ben travers was my last teacher. Oh and spent a time in bb at the hut. Tony littleales lived up lime grove.

bookworm

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2017, 05:19:04 PM »
I also knew the Littlehales family in Lime Grove. Linda Littlehales was a friend of mine. It was near the doctors house.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2017, 05:22:44 PM »
The Littlehales Family that I knew lived in Hamden Street Balsall Heath that ran from Vincent Street to Wenman Street, not that far away from Lime Grove
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

bazj

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2018, 07:34:33 PM »
I am currently looking identifying as many Littlehales as I can and adding to my website at [www.ittlehales.info].

Grateful for any names that I can add and follow up on.

Barry

karen evis

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2018, 10:39:45 PM »
Lime Grove was off Doloban Road - My grandma lived at number 1 and I lived at the house that fronted Lime Grove on Doloban Road - I think that is the spelling but I moved from there to Northfield when I was 5 years old,  There was a park opposite just slightly up the road and a health center in the park!  The road changed names half way up towards the Stratford Road and I think it may have been Church Road but not sure.  Smith's Coaches were on the bottom right of that road and as you came out of the road to Stratford Road  Woolworths and a Post Office were directly opposite.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy