Author Topic: Sparkbrook  (Read 13748 times)

roy one

• Global Moderator
Re: Sparkbrook
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2018, 10:56:57 PM »
hi karen   if I remember right [font=]  Smith's Coaches was on the corner of farm road and stratford road at the top of farm was farm road park my old playground [/font]
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2018, 11:52:23 PM »
Hi Karen

Welcome to you, the road that continued on from Dolobran Road down to Stratford Road was Farm Road. Lime grove was at the Montague Street end of Farm Road, but the old groves have gone now and the health centre nows stands at the junction of Grantham road where Christchurch once stood.

I have to say I don't recall a Woolworths ever being opposite the bottom of Farm Road. As I remember it there was Christchurch School a post office 2 banks and a newsagent just like in this 1950's photo.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

karen evis

« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2018, 06:19:40 AM »
I was born in 1956 and lived in Sparkbrook for 5 years and I am sure there was a Woolworth because I went in with my Nan and saw my first Indian woman who I thought was a princess with all her bright coloured clothing and bracelets.  It may have been further up the road but I was sure it was next to the post office.  I remember now that it was Farm Road and not Church Road but being only 5 when I left I may be wrong about the Woolworth location.  It was just that it always stuck in my mind about that Indian lady and a few weeks later I went in again with my nan and they were selling coloured bracelets that wrapped around and around your arm and I got some.  When I was 3 I took my 2 younger sisters aged 2 and 1 up Doloban Road and on to Farm Road to show them where I got the bracelets.  We walked hand in hand up the middle of the road until a car came along and picked us up.  The driver took us home and my mother did not even know we had left  the house.

karen evis

« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2018, 06:29:19 AM »
Yes that is the park I am talking about.  I used to play with a deaf boy that lived right opposite the park on Farm Road as he had a massive train set in his front room.  I think his name was David but I am not sure about that.  I saw him years later when I was in my 20's and recognized him straight away.  He was in Cotteridge with a deaf lady and they were at the bus stop signing to each other but I don't think he recognised me so I felt a bit awkward about saying hello!  Wish I had now!

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2018, 11:24:57 AM »
Hello again Karen,

When we are young our minds can play tricks with us, the nearest Woolworths on Stratford Road that comes to mind was much further up towards Sparkhill and was next to Sparkhill Commercial School that was on the corner of Newton Street. The post office was nearby on the other side of Newton Street, the next branch of Woolworths was further up still past Foremans Road.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Hi De Hi

« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2018, 01:09:14 PM »
I lived in Sparkhill, but only just, in the flats on Beach Road. My grandparents lived in Osbourne Road which is Sparkbrook.  I also can't recall Lime Grove but I do remember the horse meat butcher that was on Highgate road at the junction with the Stratford road.  I went to Golden Hillock when it was a junior and infant school (It changed in 1968) and then Moseley Grammar.

Hi De Hi

« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2018, 01:11:35 PM »
I lived in Sparkhill, but only just, in the flats on Beach Road. My grandparents lived in Osbourne Road which is Sparkbrook.  I also can't recall Lime Grove but I do remember the horse meat butcher that was on Highgate road at the junction with the Stratford road.  I went to Golden Hillock when it was a junior and infant school (It changed in 1968) and then Moseley Grammar.

Woolies was on Sparkhill up by the junction with Durham Road.  I had a Saturday job there in the early 70s.  There was a smaller Woolies on Ladypool road and another further up the Stratford road in Springfield just past Sparkhill Park.

Seabrook Bred

« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2019, 05:40:34 PM »
First post for me. I was born and lived in Dolobran Road and lived there from 1945 until 1965 when I got married. The interesting photo of the shops opposite Smith's Coaches includes two banks which both changed names during my years in Sparkbrook.

The one on the corner of Main Street ended up as Midland Bank but was originally Martins Bank which must have been absorbed. The one nearer Durkins was originally Birmingham Municipal but along with all of their branches became TSB.

I got married in Christ Church on the corner of Dolobran Road and Grantham Road which had to be knocked down after damage caused by the tornado which hit the district around the turn of the millenium.

Many happy days playing football and cricket on the black patch in Farm Park. Last time i ventured down that area our house was the last of the old Victorian houses left opposite Dearman Road.

Happy Days!

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2019, 10:34:26 AM »
Hi Seabrook Bred

Welcome to the forum, I spend part of my young life on the other side of Stratford Road to you in Larches Street on and off from 11 to 15 and then again from 18 to 21. We have others on the forum who were born and bred in Sparkbrook.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Seabrook Bred

« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2019, 12:45:11 PM »
Hi Phil. Thank you for the welcome. I've recently found this forum which is excellent. I'm currently ploughing through a 94 page thread on Sparkbrook, Sparkhill and Highgate which started in 2010 and in doing so I feel that I've already got to know a lot of the folk who have contributed.

My hope is to be able to contribute some knowledge to the threads about these districts which I knew so well during my childhood and youth.

[email protected]

« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2021, 08:42:39 AM »
I was born in Long Street in 1948 and moved to Claremount Road when I was about 7.I went to Christ Church school...both of them old and new. I'm trying to get in touch with anyone who may remember me? Can you help?
regards ken

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy