Author Topic: Sparkbrook  (Read 13833 times)

lmr3103

Re: Sparkbrook
« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2021, 05:09:33 PM »
What a lovely thought, I hope it was!

Gwladmab

« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2021, 08:09:12 PM »
Hi Annette, nowhere near posh. When my family moved from Wales they rented rooms in St Paul’s Rd, Sparkbrook. They then went to Mapleton road, Hall Green into a council house. It was a bit crowded. There was Nan, Grandad, their three grownup kids, one of which was my dad, my mom and my elder brother. Thank goodness I didn’t arrive until 7 years later when mom and dad had a house across the road. We later moved to Hazelville Rd, which is a continuation of Mapleton Rd. Mind you, the 1930’s houses we lived in were surrounded by some very posh houses or ‘Bought houses’ as we called them. It was a nice place to live but we did move around Brum quite often. I went to Lakey Lane School, until we moved again....

Robo

« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2021, 08:19:59 PM »
Hi im new on here I use to live on dolobran Road we lived on lime Grove number 11, I was born there 1958 we left 1964,I went to Montgomery St school , my brother  went to golden  hillock  school, I remember  the paper shop round  the corner where a very large man owned  it my sisters  had a paper round with him.

Gwladmab

« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2021, 08:40:35 AM »
Hi im new on here I use to live on dolobran Road we lived on lime Grove number 11, I was born there 1958 we left 1964,I went to Montgomery St school , my brother  went to golden  hillock  school, I remember  the paper shop round  the corner where a very large man owned  it my sisters  had a paper round with him.
Welcome to the Forum  Robo. Where did you move to, did you stay in Brum?

frederick

« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2021, 08:59:42 AM »
Robo,
I used to park in Lime Grove I was in an Orchesta and we practiced in a room in the Church on the corner every Wednesday. All the houses have been demolished      :o
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Mickymoo

« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2021, 11:40:24 PM »
Hi
I used to live on Stratford Road with my grandparents who ran a grocers store at no 84. Just up the road was Vale Onslow opposite the Black Horse pub. My play ground was a bomb site at the back of the house not far from where the boy mentioned earlier jumped out of the window one night dreaming he was superman. The deaf and dumb boy I knew round the corner in Kyteslake Road ( sorry about spelling but it was a long time ago 1954-60) was called George. A strapping and boisterous lad who’s mom used to buy me and George fish,chips,and American Cream Soda from the brilliant Carr’s chippy opposite his house.
Our playground was Farm Park. Football,cricket with the Barbadians ,marbles, and home made trolleys ..being chased off by the park keeper who had an office by the swings.Great times!
I attended College Road Primary School in Sparkhill and then later (having failed the 11 plus miserably)went to Dennis Road Secondary Modern for a couple of years. Still remember quite a few names from those days.David Goy,Laurence James,Geoff Nicholls,Susan Skidmore,Micky Baker, Alan Thomas.
It was a great place to be in those days. I drove down that way a couple of years ago and I might as well have been on Mars it had changed dramatically. I always thought Sparkbrook started at the bottom of Camp Hill and stopped just past the Piccadilly cinema( yes I was a member of the Sat morning ABC club!) past the Mermaid pub and about Half way up the hill on the Stratford Road. Anyway, if this info strikes any memories
It’s always good to share.
Cheers.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #50 on: November 27, 2021, 01:55:53 AM »
the lad that jumped out of his bedroom  was a lad called Trever Carson   tc was his nick name lived with his mom and sister if he was alive he would be 75 or 76 yeas of age but sadly he past on a few years   ho   yes welcome to the forum
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Seabrook Bred

« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2021, 08:37:56 PM »

The large man who kept the paper shop was named Fred Aldridge, next door to Lee's the greengrocers.

Pam Wilson

« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2022, 11:12:09 AM »
I lived off Sandy lane. I went to HolyTrinoty junior school where Miss MacDonald became headmistress. I used to babysit for Lily who owned the grocery shop on Sandy lane when she went ballroom dancing.l went to Waverley Grammar school in 1961. I remember the newsagents so well with the sisters who owned it. My dad was a regular in the bookies on Sandy lane , Alf (Tug)Wilson,  infact when he died in 1965, the bookies paid for his funeral as we had no money ! Anyone who remembers me or my brother Tony please get on touch.

Roger Goulden

« Reply #53 on: June 01, 2023, 05:32:57 PM »
Hi I taught at Sparkhill Secoindary in 1966.  Three generations of my famiy are from "the brook"

Adehutchinson

« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2023, 11:01:37 AM »
Can anyone  remember  the first names of the sons of turner's the shop that sold paint and wallpaper  that was on Stratford Road sparkbrook ?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy