Author Topic: Balsall Heath Road  (Read 2832 times)

sandra01

Balsall Heath Road
« on: April 04, 2016, 10:49:36 PM »
Anyone have pictures of 29 Balsall Heath Road at all ?

townie

Re: Balsall Heath Road
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 11:12:59 PM »
Try this thread Sandra. Pictures of Hope Street and Balsall Heath Road you will find it in the search box.
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 11:41:39 PM »
Sandra

Sorry can't help you with this one, that part of Balsall Heath Rd was demolished in the early to middle 50's and was renamed Bellevue after they replaced the fine old houses with flats. Number 29 must have backed onto the sports stadium on Pershore Rd, it must have been quite noisy there at times.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

sandra01

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 11:12:13 PM »
As you go up Bellevue from Pershore Road the house was on the right, sorry don't know if there was a sports ground there.

Tired and Weary

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2016, 12:05:13 PM »
Hi,

I imagine that Phil was referring to the Warwickshire Cricket Club ground world renowned as Edgbaston.

Tired and Weary

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2016, 01:34:58 PM »
Hi Tired & Weary

In fact the stadium I was referring to was the Birmingham Indoor Stadium that was on Pershore Rd somewhat opposite the old Earl Grey pub that was on the junction of Balsall Heath Rd and Pershore Rd. It was demolished in the early 60's and I think it was replaced with a school  which is now a children's centre.
It is indicated on this section of a 1959 OS map.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

sandra01

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2016, 09:42:22 AM »
What a great map,didn't know about the sports stadium at all,my parents never said anything about it ,but I suppose why would they . They just lived in one room with me as a baby, in number 29, life must have been very difficult  for them.

wam

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2016, 03:47:39 PM »
Hi Tired & Weary

In fact the stadium I was referring to was the Birmingham Indoor Stadium that was on Pershore Rd somewhat opposite the old Earl Grey pub that was on the junction of Balsall Heath Rd and Pershore Rd. It was demolished in the early 60's and I think it was replaced with a school  which is now a children's centre.
It is indicated on this section of a 1959 OS map.

Not quite right about the replacement but close enough. The whole of the block your little sports stadium was on was demolished and replaced mostly with housing (terraced along Pershore Rd, tenement blocks on Bristol Rd, and a few high rise blocks on Belgrave Rd and Bristol Rd). There was (is) a nursery built on the Balsall Heath Rd (renamed Belle Vue for that section) but I don't think it goes that far back. Everything between Belgrave Rd, Bristol Rd, Pershore Rd and Pebble Mill Rd was demolished then and replaced by a new estate similiar to what I have described. I moved into the maisonnette block on the other side of Balsall Heath road when it was built and lived there for 20 years.

sandra01

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2016, 04:21:33 PM »
Thanks for your comments :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy