Author Topic: Moving to Birmingham  (Read 4548 times)

Alivio

Moving to Birmingham
« on: April 21, 2016, 11:25:00 AM »
 Dear Birmingham residents, please help me with some ideas of good places to live and educate a child in Birmingham. Can you give me some areas to avoid there? How is Yardley Wood near train station, and how is Hall Green, what about Acocks Green? I can not drive so I need to live close to the train station...Any suggestion will be  helpful and highly appreciated!Any very good state schools near train stations in south area? I have read about Edgbaston, Selly Oak, Moseley and other similar, but I need other areas also. Is it anyone having time and information to help me with a list of good areas near train stations where is safe and pleasant to live and also schooling  for a white christian family? I have read a lot of negative comments about the city. I live and work here in London  with amazing people from all races, is it Birmingham sooo unsafe?Please help with ideas, I am very confused now!  :-[

Thank you very much!
                                                      Alivio

JudithM

Re: Moving to Birmingham
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 01:09:22 PM »
I'm sorry, I can't help much.  I don't have children so I can't tell you anything about the school situation.

I live in South Birmingham in the Frankley/Rubery area, which is fairly close to Longbridge train station.  I also have friends who live in West Heath, also near Longbridge station and there is a good bus service.  I have had no problems in my area, neither have my friends and there are plenty of schools around, but I have no idea how they are rated.

My one brother lives near Acock's Green Station and has had no problems where he lives, but again, there are no children so I don't know about the schools (he's actually a teacher himself, but works in Coventry  ::) )

Solihull is good for schools (and has a train station), but the houses are more pricey than within the Birmingham boundary and I know there have been problems with some of the schools being oversubscribed as there has been a fair bit of new housing development in the area, but no new schools to go with it  ;D
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Alivio

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 01:12:28 PM »
Thank you Judith for your time and information! I truly appreciate! All the best to you!

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 01:36:55 PM »
Alivo

For starters Birmingham is no less safer than London and in certain aspects I would say it was safer. I'm glad to see you are at least asking people who know instead of just reading articles by people who have probably have never been north of Watford because they think it's a wastelands up here.

I think you need to discount all the inner city areas because if you are concentrating on Christian schooling you will find places for your children hard to find although there are such schools places are at a premium,

Mind you I think you are going to have a problem finding school places wherever you choose to settle, my choice from personal experience would be Solihull which is just on the south east edge of Birmingham and would give access to Acocks Green, Sheldon, Hall Green and Shirley, all reasonable area in their own right. All areas of Birmingham have a good bus service we tend to use buses more than trains here as we have no tube, but most of the suburbs have train stations with good regular services.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

sandrac

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2016, 08:24:07 PM »
Dear Alivo
I live in Hall Green near to Yardley Wood train station from where you can get a train into B'ham city Moor St station or Solihull
All of my grandchildren attended Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic School which is within walking distance of the station. There is a good shopping centre nearby.
There are churches of every denomination in the vicinity.Hall Green is a leafy suburb with plenty of open spaces, including Moseley Bog (Tolkein country )
I am a born and bred Brummy and highly recommend Hall Green as a place to live. Good luck

Alivio

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016, 11:53:11 AM »
Thank you Phil and Sandrac for your time and kind help, the information you provided it is very helpful to me!All the best!

Virgil

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2016, 07:40:16 AM »

I live in South Birmingham in the Frankley/Rubery area, which is fairly close to Longbridge train station.  I also have friends who live in West Heath, also near Longbridge station and there is a good bus service.  I have had no problems in my area, neither have my friends and there are plenty of schools around, but I have no idea how they are rated.

Schools in that area are great. I visited 4 schools before decide, and the one i choose is excellent.

Alivio

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2016, 02:00:11 PM »
Please offer to me one more time your opinion dear "brummies" ::) !  What would you chose between these two areas if you were a family: Kings Heath ( Stirchley border) or Hall Green not far from Hall Green Station? I really need your opinion as I do trust in pertinent advise.

Thank you to all of you willing to help!Thank you!!

Alivio  :)

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2016, 02:42:55 PM »
Alvio

I would say there is not much to choose between either, but personally I would go for the Hall Green option. Which side of Stratford Rd would that be, because most of the larger better houses are on the western side of Stratford Rd with the majority of the houses on the eastern side being smaller inter war municipal type houses.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

townie

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2016, 06:39:09 PM »
Alvio

I would say there is not much to choose between either, but personally I would go for the Hall Green option. Which side of Stratford Rd would that be, because most of the larger better houses are on the western side of Stratford Rd with the majority of the houses on the eastern side being smaller inter war municipal type houses.

Is that because that side of Hall Green seem to have more money? What about the people who don't have money?
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

JudithM

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2016, 01:07:43 PM »
There's not much between the two.  I know people who live/have lived in both areas.  It's very hard to say without knowing which road(s) you are interested in.  As has been mentioned previously, with Hall Green it all depends on which side of the Stratford Road & how close you are to the Sparkhill boundary, and with Kings Heath it's again where abouts you are in connection with the Pershore Road.

I don't know anything about the schools in either area, but I guess you have checked that out already.  The housing stock in both areas is much the same - ranging from Victorian Terraces to large 1940's semis. 
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy