Author Topic: Moving to Birmingham  (Read 4553 times)

Alivio

Re: Moving to Birmingham
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2016, 01:50:48 PM »
Thank you Phil and Judith for your time here, I am sooo  :) happy to see there is someone who really knows well areas and can give the best advice for people looking to move in a city they have never been before. As I have lived 8 years in London only, and never went around ( I know, sounds strange) now Birmingham looks very different, but I am sure that I will like the city very much, it sounds like a city for me and my family thinking from many aspects! We will travel to Birmingham next week, I already love your city ( I am reading about it since 5 weeks ago ) and I do hope that in autumn we will be there because I love the pictures I have seen!
My child is in primary school and I need a good school for her, so the house itself it is not so important; but it must be a nice area with families, and safe to walk and see people are enjoying their life...Now I must choose between three options:1. Shirley Road in Hall Green
                                                                                                                     2. Kings Road in Kings Heath
                                                                                                                     3. Lea House Road near Bournville station. These three  locations offer good schools around.

Please imagine a wonderful child of 7 years old and tell me where you would choose to take this child by hand and offer a new, completely new life....

I am so grateful to you for all the time spend to help in this scenario!!

Thank you very much!
                                                                                                                                                                                Alivio

townie

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2016, 02:45:57 PM »
Alivio You have taken the word of 2 people one who lives in Brum and another who don't, if I was you I would make a few more enquires try renting for six months before you make the commitment.
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2016, 02:51:52 PM »
Alivio

Putting your selection of houses on my order of preference would read like this,#

1. Shirley Rd Hall Green
2. Lea House Rd  Bournville
3. Kings Rd Kings Heath

My reasons being that I know the Hall Green end of Shirley Road better than I do the other two locations as my son lives close by. One of the better primary schools  in Birmingham is located in the road (St Ambrose Barlowe) and it is in between 2 major shopping areas Shirley & Acocks Green.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

JudithM

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2016, 12:27:23 PM »
I would put those in the same order too, for much the same reasons.

Shirley and Acocks Green are both pretty good for the shops (my brother living close to Acocks Green), you are also not too far from Solihull or Birmingham City Centre itself (a short hop on the train). 

Lea House Road is a little further away from shopping centres as such, though Kings Heath and Northfield are both pretty good and the new development at Longbridge is only a couple of stops down the line on the train - a word of warning though, Northfield train station isn't actually by the Northfield shopping area, so if you wanted to go there from Bourneville you'd be better off getting the bus  ;D .

I would suggest that you pay a visit to all the areas that you have an eye on, and have a good walk about - at night as well as in the day time - so you get a 'feel' for the areas and what is close and accessible. 

There are good parks and open spaces near all of these areas (and across most of the City and suburbs) and other areas of interest (for instance the Cadbury Chocolate factory at Bournville).  As has been mentioned in previous posts, as well as the trains there is a good bus service to most areas and you can get a day tripper ticket and have a good look around & see how close things are to each other.

As a 7 year old child trapped in a 50 year old lady's body I would highly recommend the Nature Centre at Cannon Hill Park for a visit (or several  :) ), it's cheap and informative and close to Bournville -

http://www.birmingham.gov.uk/naturecentre

Moseley Bog & Sarehole Mill are both close to Hall Green -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moseley_Bog

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarehole_Mill

Happy house hunting!
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Alivio

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2016, 05:20:52 PM »
Thank you for your answers, you were right in all aspects!, we have been in Birmingham in the weekend, it is lovely, different from what we expected, really green and more peaceful then London  ;) , but with the buying it is very complicated. I do not want to abuse your time, but do you have any opinion regarding Weoley Castle area? The  properties are more affordable, but again: streets are clean and nice, calm and  green, people sooo friendly, but the review on google regarding the area is really negative!  What can you say about the area? Is it somebody living near?

Thank you.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2016, 05:29:46 PM »
Alivio

I have no knowledge of Weoley Castle in recent times, my only knowledge dates back at least 30 years or more and a lot has changed everywhere since so I don't feel qualified to proffer an opinion. Though I'm sure other posters in the forum might be able to help you.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Alivio

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2016, 05:35:52 PM »
Still, a big thank you Phil!

Alivio

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2016, 05:51:47 PM »
 B18 7LE - Anybody has any knowledge about the area?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2016, 06:10:53 PM »
Once again Alovio all I can tell you about Spring Hill is that it is very close to the city centre within walking distance of the entertainment centre of Broad Street and the NIA and the ICC and Gas Street canal basin. Spring Hill and Hockley and the whole area is brand new with all new housing and apartments.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

JudithM

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2016, 12:55:28 PM »
Sorry, although my commute takes me through Weoley Castle, all I know about the area comes from what I can see out of the bus window  ::)

One thing to remember though is that people do tend to post about negative things rather than positive things, so if someone has a bad experience they are much more likely to mention it than someone who's had a good one.  I think it does have it's problems, but no more so than most other area does.  Some people say the same about the area I live in, yet I haven't had any bad experiences.

I think that if you go on the Police website you can check for things like burglary rates and other crimes in what ever area you are looking at.
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

pat11

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2016, 04:33:12 PM »
Parts of Erdington are a good place to live being 20 minutes from City Centre with a good bus service and motorway so no traffic jams.  There is a vibrant High Street which is partly pedestrianised with lots of shops, 2 markets and they are about to build a new cinema and restaurant complex.  The schools have a good rating and the property is cheaper than the South part of the City.  I lived happily there for 40 years.  A good infants and junior school is called The Yenton. Or if you are Catholic, The Abbey.
Kindness is the best feature

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy