Author Topic: Independant Congregational Chapel, Saltley Road.  (Read 3750 times)

mercian43

Independant Congregational Chapel, Saltley Road.
« on: April 29, 2016, 07:09:08 PM »
Hi, can anyone help me locate photos of the Independent Congregational Chapel & School Rooms that was situated on Saltley Road, Aston between Cato Street North & The Sportsman Inn. My parents were married there in 1942 and I was baptized there the following year.

Dad's address at the time was 4 back 56 Cato Street but for some reason the actual wedding photo's were taken at my Mothers family home at Southern Road, Ward End.

Thanks, mercian43

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Independant Congregational Chapel, Saltley Road.
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2016, 08:03:23 PM »
Hi Mercian

Welcome to the forum, I'm sorry although I can get you all around the church I can't seem to locate a picture of the church itself. This is a photo of Chapel Terrace which was at the side of the church and its the closest I can get, you can see the roof of the church in the background.

Don't give up though, keep looking in I'm sure that one of our other posters might come up with something as there are a lot of that area around. I might even be able to come up with one myself after a look around.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Brummagemite

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2016, 03:11:41 PM »
Hi Phil

That's a wonderful old photograph, what date would this be?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2016, 10:37:59 PM »
Brummagemite

I'm going to say 1905 for no other reason than I have this other photo of the same location with the same woman and child standing in the yard taken from the other direction that is tagged with that date.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Brummagemite

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2016, 10:15:23 AM »
Hi Phil

That's tremendous having another picture of the same terrace, and like you say showing the same woman an child.  Many thanks for replying about this, I was just intrigued, but am now glad I asked given you posted this other photo.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2016, 11:10:36 AM »
Brummagemite

Have you some connection with Chapel Terrace? If so then here is another photo, taken at the same time I would imagine, this photo shows numbers 5 - 10 and the original photo shows numbers 1 to 4.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Brummagemite

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2016, 01:02:51 PM »
Hi Phil

Sadly no, no connection I'm afraid.  I merely happened across the first photo when searching the Forum that was all, and thought it was so evocative of old Brum.  As it looked old I wondered when it might have been taken, which you managed to answered with the next one, and it's also great to have the latest picture of the other side of the terrace too.  You must have quite a collection of old photographs, and it's terrific that you're so prepared to share them.  Many thanks.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2019, 02:18:00 PM »
I know this topic is quite old now but in recent months I came across these two photos from different sources. The one is a photo dated 1860 which is old for a photo and the other is a drawing which is obviously earlier as there are no ancillary building to the main church present.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy