Author Topic: Peaky Blinders  (Read 12762 times)

pat11

Peaky Blinders
« on: May 06, 2016, 10:45:15 AM »
Definitely has the WOW factor but the script writer(s) are no Dennis Potter. 
Kindness is the best feature

frederick

Re: Peaky Blinders
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 11:05:43 AM »
I thought it was over the top.     ???      And all that swaring.      :o       I watch it for about 15 minuets I thought that's enough and then switch over.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Spud

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 11:28:07 AM »
Peaky Blinders yes there is a lot of very strong language but it is an outstanding Production by any standards. I think wrong to compare the writing to Dennis Potter it is totally different to anything Potter ever  wrote. Stephen Knight has created a unique piece of television not to every ones taste but very watchable.
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

planetmalc

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2016, 01:41:18 PM »
My only criticism is that no-one in it is likeable, which makes me feel uneasy from start to finish :-\ (but maybe that's the point).     
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

pat11

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2016, 02:09:16 PM »
My only criticism is that no-one in it is likeable, which makes me feel uneasy from start to finish :-\ (but maybe that's the point).     
Precisely, also there is no gripping storyline, and no light and shade, all doom and gloom.  The calibre of writing is poor, like Eastenders.  The music, sets, costumes and actors are good, although the Birmingham accent is a bit hit and miss probably toned down for the American market.

cocacolakid

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2016, 02:58:51 PM »
Precisely, also there is no gripping storyline, and no light and shade, all doom and gloom.  The calibre of writing is poor, like Eastenders.  The music, sets, costumes and actors are good, although the Birmingham accent is a bit hit and miss probably toned down for the American market.

I agree with you pat11, it is not for me and my wife.

Malc.
Every day is a gift, that's why they call it the present.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2016, 04:31:08 PM »
Sorry

Have never watched it, the series didn't start until after I gave up watching the Goggle Box so I don't feel qualified enough to comment on it. I have however read The Real Peaky Blinders by Carl Chinn and Gangs of Birmingham by Philip Gooderson. Going by previous TV adaptations of books I suppose there is no comparison, though Carl Chinns book was written on the tail of the popularity of the series.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

josylvia

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2016, 03:57:56 PM »
Peaky Blinders yes there is a lot of very strong language but it is an outstanding Production by any standards. I think wrong to compare the writing to Dennis Potter it is totally different to anything Potter ever  wrote. Stephen Knight has created a unique piece of television not to every ones taste but very watchable.

Steven Knight shines in the light as a "Brummie" when actually he was born in Marlborough Wiltshire.
I sit on the fence with a glass half full trying to be diplomatic

planetmalc

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2016, 04:30:04 PM »
Mostly negative comments so far, so can we take it that not many will be tuning in at 9pm tonight? (I will, regardless ;D ).
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

pat11

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2016, 06:18:33 PM »
I will be tuning in tonight because I loved everything about it apart from the script but I live in hope that it will improve.
It was hard times in those days but a bit of humour wouldn't come amiss. Pay attention because the storyline can be hard to follow in places.

JudithM

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2016, 01:30:43 PM »
I love it.

I love the grittiness and the soundtrack and the acting & the overall treatment of the visuals.  OK so some of the accents are a bit weird to say the least (but there were - and still are - people coming here from all over - so why not the odd debatable accent  ;D ) but I'm glad that there is finally a show that is not depicting Brummies as stupid or slow.  There have been far too many shows where the only person with a Birmingham or Black Country accent is the brunt of all the jokes.

It is a very popular show across many countries and I'm glad the profile of Birmingham is being raised by it.

The first series was quite 'close to home' for me as, like the main characters, my one Granddad would have just come home from WWI & he worked at BSA and had links to the gypsy community.  Although he was a few years younger (he was one of those young lads that lied about his age and was only 15 when he joined up in 1917) that would have been the Birmingham he knew as a young man.
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy