Author Topic: Floozie in the jacuzzi  (Read 2884 times)

Brummagemite

Re: Floozie in the Jacuzzi
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2016, 11:01:28 AM »
 Hi Joe

Glad to hear that the mosaic is still there.  In fact I found a picture of it on William Dargueís website ĎA History of Birmingham Places & Placenamesí, and interestingly he says the actual horse fair carried on there right up till 1912.

I understand the Peaky Blinders television series is set from the end on the First World War onwards, but think the actual Blinders were before that?  Having said that, I donít know if the real Peaky Blinders ever traded horses but maybe thereís something on this in Carl Chinnís book about them?

JudithM

Re: Floozie in the jacuzzi
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2016, 12:42:10 PM »
From memory, I think they were more involved in race fixing & betting fraud, but I suppose they could have traded horses too.

I go past Pagoda Island on my daily commute, and I think it's only since the late '90's that it's been called that - since the pagoda monument was erected as a gift by that great Brummie institution Wing Yip  ;D  I like the pagoda, especially in the dark winter evenings when it's lit up with different colours.
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Brummagemite

Re: Floozie in the Jacuzzi
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2016, 01:05:38 PM »
Hi Judith 

Yes I recall the pagoda being built there, and think itís certainly an interesting addition to the Cityís public art, though Iíve never called the roundabout ĎPagoda Islandí because of this.  Like I say, must be because Iím old fashioned!

I believe you are right about the race fixing too, and I understand that protection racketeering of race-course bookmakers was also part of it as well.  I think the bit about horse trading may be merely something from the television series, as the fictional Shelby family apparently have Romany blood and, therefore, a love of horses.

Spud

« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2016, 02:31:29 PM »
Just done a bit of Googling and it seems that The Pagoda at Holloway Circus was financed by a Mr Yip in recognition of the Chinese Connection in the City. I wonder if Mr Yip is connected with 'Wing Yip' who I believe are suppliers of Oriental Groceries.
The Best Is Yet To Come

Joewoen

« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2016, 05:01:21 PM »
Thank-you Judith and Brummagemite, that's what's so good about this forum, you never stop learning.

Spud, I think you missed Judith's post of 12:42 today. But it's great to have confirmation.