Author Topic: Floozie in the jacuzzi  (Read 14681 times)

Coastal

Re: Floozie in the jacuzzi
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2016, 10:06:30 AM »
Dublin is the original, maybe we should have gone for "Bint in the bath" or "Tart in a tub"
Do unto others before they do unto you.

JudithM

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2016, 12:40:52 PM »
LOL, I like 'Bint in the Bath'.
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Brummagemite

Re: Floozie in the Jacuzzi
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2016, 03:36:06 PM »
Hi Judith

Just seen your 'alternative' for 'Floozie in the Jacuzzi', which has made me smile.  I'd not heard that before, and think I prefer yours as it sounds more Brummy to me.

Brummagemite

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2016, 10:26:00 AM »
Hi Judith

Looking again I see it was Coastal who said about 'Bint in the Bath', but that you like this too.  That will teach me for not reading through things thoroughly, sorry about that. Anyhow, as I said, I think 'Bint in the Bath' does sound more Brummy than 'Floozie in the Jacuzzi', so I think this is what I'll call her from now on!

Joewoen

« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2016, 05:51:25 PM »
Amusing article on the Birmingham Mail online, 10 Birmingham places that we never use the right name. The Floozie is called the River. Interestingly the Iron Man in Victoria Square is not called iron Man, the designer called it Untitled. When he was told the locals called it Iron Man, he changed the name to Iron: Man, but most of us ignore the punctuation.  ;D

JudithM

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2016, 12:57:51 PM »
LOL - I found that article & I use all of these names, in fact, I don't know anybody who uses the correct names  ;D

Here's the link to the article - http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/eleven-places-birmingham-always-called-11380355
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Brummagemite

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2016, 03:15:55 PM »
Hi Joe & Judith

Well that's something I've learnt, I never knew the Bint in the Bath/Floozie in the Jacuzzi was actually called the 'The River', or that the Iron Man was first 'Untitled' and then later 'Iron: Man'.  Out of the list in the article the one I'd not heard before was this 'Pagoda Island', as I tend to say Holloway Head for both the roundabout here and the road leading up to Bath Row.  Often I actually call it the island or roundabout at the bottom of Holloway Head, even though I did know its 'official' name is Holloway circus.  Maybe its because I'm old fashioned??

Joewoen

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2016, 04:08:24 PM »
Hi Joe & Judith

Well that's something I've learnt, I never know the Bint in the Bath/Floozie in the Jacuzzi was actually called the 'The River', or that the Iron Man was first 'Untitled' and then later 'Iron: Man'.  Out of the list in the article the one I'd not heard before was this 'Pagoda Island', as I tend to say Holloway Head for both the roundabout here and the road leading up to Bath Row.  Often I actually call it the island or roundabout at the bottom of Holloway Head, even though I did know its 'official' name is Holloway circus.  Maybe its because I'm old fashioned??

I think that article is right, we don't use the correct name for these places.

Holloway Head, I think of as Horse Fair. My nan spoke of the shops and stalls around there that sold horse meat. I have no idea when they stopped.

Brummagemite

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2016, 10:03:42 AM »
Hi Joe

I thought the Horsefair was actually the end of what most think of as being Bristol Street, where the underpass begins to go under the island.  In other words this Holloway Circus roundabout is at the junction of Holloway Head, coming down from Bath Row, and the Horsefair, coming along from Bristol Street, so in a way I suppose we are both right.  At one time there was a lovely mosaic showing the Horsefair as it was back in olden day actually on the island itself - I wonder if this is still there?  I haven't been that way in many a year now, so hope it still is there.  As I said, I use most of the Brummy names in the article, rather than the 'official' ones, but the 'Pagoda Island' one is new to me - there again I am an old codger!

Joewoen

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2016, 07:06:26 PM »
Hi Joe

I thought the Horsefair was actually the end of what most think of as being Bristol Street, where the underpass begins to go under the island.  In other words this Holloway Circus roundabout is at the junction of Holloway Head, coming down from Bath Row, and the Horsefair, coming along from Bristol Street, so in a way I suppose we are both right.  At one time there was a lovely mosaic showing the Horsefair as it was back in olden day actually on the island itself - I wonder if this is still there?  I haven't been that way in many a year now, so hope it still is there.  As I said, I use most of the Brummy names in the article, rather than the 'official' ones, but the 'Pagoda Island' one is new to me - there again I am an old codger!

I'm with you Brummie, I don't think of it as Pagoda Island. Not been to this area for years, so had to search for the murals, and yes, they are still there. I wonder if the Peaky Blinders traded horses there?

townie

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2016, 11:05:07 PM »
Horsefair was between Essex Street and Smallbrook Street it linked Bristol Street to Suffolk Street / John Bright Street. It was demolished long before Pagoda park was ever thought of.   
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy