Author Topic: Floozie in the jacuzzi  (Read 14694 times)

Brummagemite

Re: Floozie in the Jacuzzi
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2016, 11:01:28 AM »
 Hi Joe

Glad to hear that the mosaic is still there.  In fact I found a picture of it on William Dargue’s website ‘A History of Birmingham Places & Placenames’, and interestingly he says the actual horse fair carried on there right up till 1912.

I understand the Peaky Blinders television series is set from the end on the First World War onwards, but think the actual Blinders were before that?  Having said that, I don’t know if the real Peaky Blinders ever traded horses but maybe there’s something on this in Carl Chinn’s book about them?

JudithM

Re: Floozie in the jacuzzi
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2016, 12:42:10 PM »
From memory, I think they were more involved in race fixing & betting fraud, but I suppose they could have traded horses too.

I go past Pagoda Island on my daily commute, and I think it's only since the late '90's that it's been called that - since the pagoda monument was erected as a gift by that great Brummie institution Wing Yip  ;D  I like the pagoda, especially in the dark winter evenings when it's lit up with different colours.
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Brummagemite

Re: Floozie in the Jacuzzi
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2016, 01:05:38 PM »
Hi Judith 

Yes I recall the pagoda being built there, and think it’s certainly an interesting addition to the City’s public art, though I’ve never called the roundabout ‘Pagoda Island’ because of this.  Like I say, must be because I’m old fashioned!

I believe you are right about the race fixing too, and I understand that protection racketeering of race-course bookmakers was also part of it as well.  I think the bit about horse trading may be merely something from the television series, as the fictional Shelby family apparently have Romany blood and, therefore, a love of horses.

Spud

« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2016, 02:31:29 PM »
Just done a bit of Googling and it seems that The Pagoda at Holloway Circus was financed by a Mr Yip in recognition of the Chinese Connection in the City. I wonder if Mr Yip is connected with 'Wing Yip' who I believe are suppliers of Oriental Groceries.
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

Joewoen

« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2016, 05:01:21 PM »
Thank-you Judith and Brummagemite, that's what's so good about this forum, you never stop learning.

Spud, I think you missed Judith's post of 12:42 today. But it's great to have confirmation.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2018, 03:40:45 PM »
I read a story in today's Birmingham Mail that there is a possibility that we might see water flow again soon down the steps of The Floozy in the Jacuzzi. After being turned off in 2013 and being  turned into a giant flower pot some two years later because over some three years £410,000 was spent repairing leaks, in the end they gave up because they couldn't cure it.

Now suddenly because of the Commonwealth games in 2022 they have suddenly found the investment cash to repair the fountain and get it flowing again. Knowing Birmingham Council it will probably be switched on the week before the games and then switched off again the week after.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

JudithM

« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2018, 01:21:03 PM »

Now suddenly because of the Commonwealth games in 2022 they have suddenly found the investment cash to repair the fountain and get it flowing again. Knowing Birmingham Council it will probably be switched on the week before the games and then switched off again the week after.
So strange that they have managed to find the money.  ::)

And you're right, it'll probably be on for the duration of the games only!
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Scipio

« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2018, 10:33:24 PM »
I read a story in today's Birmingham Mail that there is a possibility that we might see water flow again soon down the steps of The Floozy in the Jacuzzi. After being turned off in 2013 and being  turned into a giant flower pot some two years later because over some three years £410,000 was spent repairing leaks, in the end they gave up because they couldn't cure it.

Phil funny that the money just appeared for such an insignicant item , when the Paradise Development is at a standstill at the moment
Due to lack of cash
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2018, 10:50:55 PM »
Scipio

I don't think they have the money yet and it is not made very clear other than It's coming from an investment in improving Birmingham's City Centre. I see the story finishes with "The Council has been unable to provide any more specifics around the future of the fountain at this stage.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2018, 11:22:45 PM »
Forget the fountain were is everybody going to park for the games
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

astoness

« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2018, 04:07:33 AM »
no doubt the council will be borrowing yet more money to fund the games...demolishing perry barr flyover is going to cost us and create at least 2 years of traffic chaos...yes its a mess but surely it could have been cleaned up and given a lick of paint ..what i would like to know is what is going to be built in its place.people still need to get to the other side of the birchfield road to one stop shopping centre etc...i guess if the demo goes ahead (there is a petition ongoing to stop the demo) those shops are going to suffer badly...uni of birmingham perry barr now almost demolished to make way for the athletes village

lyn

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy