Author Topic: Area other than balsall heath  (Read 11537 times)

Jacqueline

Area other than balsall heath
« on: May 04, 2006, 03:44:30 AM »
Hey there must be guys and gals that were bought up in other area's. ;)

Let's give em a call. Stirchley here. Wherever you came from if its brum it must count. ;D

john2000

Re: Area other than balsall heath
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 07:31:07 AM »
Hi"Jacqueline,  there are two good things about Stirchely.
the pub that used to called the Dogpool, and the road out. no that would be unfair, Stirchley was/its a nice place to live, but Saterday nights at the Dogpool, great nights out ( they changed the name now to some posh name) but to me its still the Dogpool,
 I had a girl friend there who was into goldfish, so I learned all I could about bloody goldfish, so I could get on the good side of her, she left me and went out with a plumber..  :'(
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

Rupert

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 12:25:55 PM »
Hi. Jacqueline,
   Yes, Balsall Heath did not have all of the fun. Spent my childhood in Saltley/Washwood Heath and attended Leigh Rd. junior and secondry modern. Live abroad now but still have memories of the old days. We did not have much, two world wars and the class system saw to that but when you see what passes for schooling these days, you realize that for some of us there were some good things.
I don't know, perhaps it's me, maybe the things we were taught don't matter anymore.

john2000

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 10:57:16 PM »
Hi"Rupert,
I bet our moms and dads thought the same .. what are our children coming to, we were never like that when we were children..  ::)
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

Andy Capp

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2006, 08:01:32 PM »
COME ON FELLOW BRUMMMIES LETS HEAR STORIES FROM TIMES PAST THERE MUST BE PLENTY OF THINGS TO SAY ABOUT ANY AREA IN BRUM WERE YOU LIVED IN THE PAST. REMEMBER PEOPLE ARE LIVING HISTORY BOOKS IT WOULD BE GREAT TO HEAR ANYTHING ABOUT THEIR OWN AREA. ANDY CAPP

GEOFF

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2006, 08:26:05 PM »
HALLO THERE,
MY NAMES GEOFF, HAVE JUST JOINED THE FORUM. WOULD BE INTERESTED IN A CHAT ABOUT BORDESLEY GREEN EAST WHERE I WAS BORN AND BROUGHT UP. I ALSO LIVED IN ALUM ROCK. ANY OFFERS. 

Rupert

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2006, 02:36:03 PM »
Hi. Geoff,
 Yes Alum Rock was my neck of the woods. Closer to Washwood Heath road actually. But used to go to the Rock cinema and occasionally to the Grand. Laigh Road was my school and the blues was my soccer club. Washwood Heath park used to be a favourite venue. Ahh yes the Capitol was another cinema at the Pelham. The Grand you will remember used to show ancient movies so we did not go there much. Do ypu remember Ted Haynes the grocer on the corner of Alum Rock and Wright Road and the turkeys hanging from his ceiling at Christmas time. Just up the road from there you may remember they used to have an occasional fun fair on the site of houses that were bombed in the war. Dodgems and such. Maybe you do not go that far back in the area. This would have been the 40s and 50s. Anyway nice talking to you.
Regards.

GEOFF

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2006, 08:08:08 PM »
[HALLO RUPERT,
THANKS FOR YOUR MESSAGE ON ALUM ROCK, YES I DO REMEMBER ALL THE THINGS YOU MENTIONED. NOW HERES ONE FOR YOU, I WAS IN THE HOME GUARD IN SALTLY COLLEGE IN 1942, I`VE NOT LIVED IN BRUM FOR 50 YEARS SO CANNOT REMEMBER ROAD NAMES, IT WAS AT THE TOP OF A ROAD BETWEEN WOOLWORTHS AND A PUB, AT THE TOP OF ALUM ROCK HILL.  I WENT TO ALSTON ROAD SCHOOL OFF BORDESLEY GREEN EAST, NEAR THE "BROADWAY " PUB.  I WORKED FOR "SINFIELDS AND SON" BUILDERS HALF WAY DOWN THE HILL ALMOST FACING THE ROCK CINEMA IN 41 BUT ONLY FOR A SHORT WHILE, THEY WENT TO PRISON FOR FIDDLING THE COUNCIL WHILE WORKING ON BOMB DAMAGE REPAIRS. I LIVED IN CALDWELL RD, OFF BELCHERS LANE. FACING THE GRAMMAR SCHOOL. NICE TO GET A REPLY, ITS A LONG TIME SINCE I HAVE TALKED ABOUT WHERE I LIVED ALL THOSE YEARS AGO.
REGARDS GEOFF 

Rupert

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2006, 09:13:05 PM »
Geof,
  You go back a little further than I do. I was only 4 yrs old in 42 and lived on Wright Road. If I could suggest something to you that I think would give you a lot of info on the area, download Google Earth as I and Graham have done. With this you will be able to zoom right down on your old places if they are still there and almost see the roses in the gardens. The download is free and the whole of the Birmingham area is in high deffinition. There are higher versions of the programme but these are for engineering companies and they pay for these business versions. You don't need these.       
  Please forgive the suggestion if you have already done this. The area has changed quite a bit but you will still be able to recognise most of it. Geof if you go to 'addresses to understand' on this forum and go through the posts you will find some overhead shots that I did for SH. and we were able to find the location where her great great grandfather used to live and with the kind help of Keith Berry we were able to get a digital photo of the place. If you are not comfortable downloading the programme let me know and I will post some shots for you. Since Graham has the download now, you can talk to him about it as well. It's been super talking to you and look forward to hearing from you again.
Regards.
P.S.
I am half a world away from the place and have not been back since 76, so like you I am reaching back to my roots. Why? I don't know, it seems like something that should be done.

GEOFF

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2006, 08:54:43 PM »
HI RUPERT, THANKS FOR THE REPLY,  YES I AM OLDER THAN YOU. I WAS 80 ON THE SAME DAY AS THE QUEEN, I HAD A BIRTHDAY CARD FROM HER AND ALSO AN INVITE TO A GARDEN PARTY IN JULY WITH MY WIFE AT BUCKINGHAM PALACE, WE HAD ALREADY BOOKED A HOLIDAY SO DECLINED THE OFFER.  WE WOULD RATHER GO WALKING IN NORTHUMBERLAND INSTEAD.
I HAVE THOUGHT ABOUT GOOGLE EARTH AND TRIED TO DOWNLOAD IT BUT MY COMPUTER WARNED ME AGAINST IT, IS IT SAFE? I DO HAVE "NORTON " PROTECTION AND MY SYSTEM IS ONLY 6 MONTHS OLD.  DO I NEED "BROADBAND"? 
MY BROTHER AND WIFE STARTED MARRIED LIFE IN PHILLEMORE ROAD WHICH I REMEMBER WAS OFF WRIGHT ROAD. I LIVE ABOUT 120 MILES FROM BRUM BUT DON`T GO THERE VERY OFTEN. WE HAVE MOUNTAINS SEA AND COUNTRY WHERE WE LIVE MUCH BETTER THAN BRUM THESE DAYS.  CHEERS GEOFF

Rupert

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2006, 11:39:33 PM »
Hi. Geof,
  I heard that the Queen is getting really fed up with ex-pats turning down her invitations. Shame on you. Anyway yes I have broad band and it is much better than the old connection. It's worth it if you have it in your area. The wait time is much less. I have not had a problem with Google Earth except that my wife has trouble getting me away from the computer. But since you mention it I would feel so guilty recommending it to you if you had a problem. Always back up your important stuff first. There can't be much on your computer at this point. Do you have any grand kids who can help? Just simply mention it to your local computer store and see what they say.
I have not been to the Google site lately so I will take a look and see what the requirements are. In the meantime I will post an overhead of your old area for you to look at. By the way Graham on this site recently downloaded this programme so you can drop him a line and see how he got on. Oh he has recently had a heart operation but he seems to be on line again. Can't keep a good man down hey. You will probably know him as the world champion cyclist from Brum in the 60s.
  Get back to you later.
Regards.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy