Author Topic: Area other than balsall heath  (Read 11538 times)

Rupert

Re: Area other than balsall heath
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2006, 12:10:19 AM »
Geof, heres phillimore

Rupert

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2006, 12:30:06 AM »
Geof,
Caldwell, I can zoom in closer but I don't  know which house. If these are still the same ones.

Rupert

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2006, 01:26:34 PM »
Hi. Geof,
There seem to be several sites from where to download the programme. Probably best to go to the Google home site, click here...http://earth.google.com/  It gives all of the information including  network speeds there.
Broadband is far less frustrating to use. You just flash from one screen to the next. The programme itself is very cleaver. To find a place all you have to do is type in the address in the top left corner and hold on to your seat tightly. You can do many things like measuring distances, checking elevations, referencing long and lat and so on. All of the world is covered but not all in high resolution at this stage. However all of the Birmingham England area is high resolution and other areas are added to from time to time. Incidentally you have to type in the country or you will end up in Birmingham Alabama. Catch you later.

GEOFF

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2006, 07:54:26 PM »
HI RUPERT,  THANKS FOR THE PHOTOS OF ALUM ROCK, WILL HAVE TO SETTLE DOWN AND THINK ABOUT BROADBAND AND GOOGLE EARTH IT SOUNDS VERY INTERESTING.  DURING THE SUMMER MONTHS WE ARE MORE INTERESTED IN THE GARDEN, WALKING, AND HOLIDAYS, AND MOTORING IN THE COUNTRY SIDE IN OUR OPEN TOP M.G. IT MAKES US FEEL YOUNG AGAIN, I TRY NOT TO SPEND TO MUCH TIME ON THE P.C. WILL KEEP IN TOUCH .GEOFF.

Rupert

« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2006, 09:41:36 PM »
Geof,
  Sound's great where you are. I can't remember if I used Google E. on the slower system or not. I do know that Broad Band makes the use of the web so much better. There is no waiting from screen to screen and everything seems to fly by comparison.
  Hope the weather is good to your garden this year. I have just come in from cutting the grass and had to take another shower. So hot today. I had a British sports car years ago, a Triumph TR6. was fun but felt like the front wheels had more control over the car than I did. I think a bigger stearing wheel would have made it better. When you had to put the top up you had to be very organised and do everything in the right order. If you were in a hurry... well thats another story. Incidentally there is another site you may be interested in http://forums.birminghamhistory.co.uk/ This site realy cooks and we all have a lot of fun. Maybe see you there. Best wishes

john2000

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2006, 07:14:54 AM »
Hi Rupert, Thoses where the days when we drove a mans car, the MG and the Tr4/5. I always wanted a Sunbeam Tiger, but I could not afford it, but then one day I saw a Sunbeam Alpine, and that was a near as I could get to having one, ( mind you back in the early 70's it was a bird puller, )  yes............... yesterday when I was young, life will never be the same again, ( thank god ) 8)
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

Graham

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2006, 10:22:23 AM »
Hi John & Rupert,

I still have two MGB Roadsters that I use on a daily basis, one Tartan Red from 1965 and one in Marine Blue from 1966. Perfect on the hilly twisting roads in the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg, where I spend most of the summer months. They were both still 3 syncro but I have converted them to overdrive to keep the revs down on the motorways. They are still "bird pullers" but then I am now a faithful married man.

Graham.

GEOFF

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2006, 08:10:34 PM »
GRAHAM,  RUPERT TELLS ME YOU HAVE DOWN LOADED "GOOGLE EARTH" DID YOU HAVE ANY TROUBLE DOING SO. I HAVE NORTON ANTI EVERY THING ON MY P.C AND IT BLOCKED IT AND WARNED ME AGAINST DOWNLOADING IT.  I ALSO HAVE AN M.G. A VERY MUNDANE RUBBER BUMPER 1978 ROADSTER,  I HAVE HAD IT 16 YEARS AND ENJOYED EVERY MINUTE.  I VOWED TO SELL IT WHEN I REACHED 80 BUT THAT HAS PASSED WITH NO THOUGHT OF GETTING  RID OF IT AS YET, HAS ENTERED MY MIND GEOFF   

Rupert

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2006, 08:12:14 PM »
Hi. All.
Well I'm probably going to dissapoint you with this. The Triumph TR6 was not a great car in my books. It had an inline 6 cyl that was de-powered for North America not having fuel ingection that UK versions had but double Stromberg carburetors instead. It was down 30 hp and was a milksop of an engine would not be in any way described as a free revver. The vehicle looked the part though and had a nice dash. Changing gear was a bit of an effort. you needed a strong left leg. Being a left hand drive the switch over of the stearing column meant that the shaft ran down next to the oil filter assembly and made it next to impossible to change the oil filter. How could they miss that?? You had to physically force the stearing shaft over to drop the filter. No mean feat. An aqaintance with this vehicle cut a hole in the wheel well to get around this problem. Did a nice job and made a nice little cover held on with PK screws. There was never a manufacturers notification about this. The way that the exhaust system was hung was totally inadequate, A rubber thong at the rear somwhere connecting to a tab on the muffler. You have guessed it, the thong could not stand the load or the heat for more than a few thousand miles. The first time it broke was crossing some railway tracks in Baltimore, leaving the exhaust assembly sproinging up and down. I always travelled with a toolbox and in the bottom of this was some electrical wireing, so I used this to hold it up. Cinched it nicely with my pliers and cut the ends off. Not bad for a running repair you could not see any difference. When I got to Florida I got a replacement part from a Triumph dealership and fitted that. The car only had 4000 miles on it at the most. When this happened again 3000 miles later I made another sling out of trippled electrical wire and that was the way it stayed. I decided that my engineering was better than Triumphs in this respect. The top as previously mentioned was not too bad to put up with the caveat that you got the sequence of events right. The independent rear suspension was a bit weak and never realy had the chance to work very well because the body did not have very good torsional stiffness. It was not long before the rear coil springs took a permanent set and required spacers to regain ride height. It goes on but the car never left me stranded. I always managed to overcome with my trusty toolbox. When I first got the car from the dealership I found a handfull of nuts and bolts in the trunk. I thought at the time..I hope these are extras. Anyway I persevered with this car and it did look nice we had some good times together. Like the time that I drove back to Ontario from New Brunswick with a friend who was driving a new Datsun 240Z. When I passed him on one straight stretch in Main (he must have slowed) he said later that the exhaust sounded great, and it did. I should have offered him a swap right there. In those days the 240Z was a great car. The Triumph had charachter however and people looking on did not know of the struggles. I think modern sportscars with monster HP somehow miss the point. They are too clinical and effortless and don't bring out the skill in a driver. There are a couple of modern ones that still stir the juices the Miatta for one and I am sure you can all think of others. I think the companies put too much HP int the vehicles nowadays at the expense of the total entity. So that I can well understand the keenness and pride that you guys have in your older restored machines. I think the overdrive is a good idea to save burning valves on super highways in the MG.

Regards.

Graham

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2006, 09:42:51 PM »
Hi Geoff,

I had no trouble at all with my download, I do have broadband via the TV cable company. I have E-trust anti virus from Microsoft, on my old computer, Pentium III, I have Norton and that does tend to be over protective some times and comes in conflict with other programs that are running. I had to remove some of the components in the Norton program to stop the thing fighting with other things. What I removed I can't remember anymore, it is too long ago. Check your filter settings, they may be set too high.

When I first met my Belgian wife, in the 60's, she was driving an MGB Roadster. I had no interest at all for the car, only in her! Now I still run and maintain my two MGB's for her sake. I want to get rid of them, not that they are much trouble, but i'm getting old and need something a bit easier to crawl into! My wife says "they are not going so long that she lives". I did have a Range Rover but that was like driving a tank! I hate motoring so I guess it will be difficult for me to find any car that will please me.

While I was in hospital my best friend from Luxembourg phoned my family every day to ask how I was getting on, twice he made the 800 km round trip to come and visit me. When I am in Luxembourg he would drop in every evening before he went to bed, for a coffee & a chat. Two days ago he was found dead in front of his telly, he died of the same thing I survived. I shall miss you George, very much.

Graham.

spyro2000

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2006, 04:06:48 AM »
I was brought up in Erdington. Sorry I cant be bothered to post long posts like you lot, but there isnt really much I can say about it. Its not exactly much of a history for me as it wasnt very long ago :D
Theres no place like 127.0.0.1

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy