Author Topic: Text talk?  (Read 5088 times)

TPT.50

Text talk?
« on: June 07, 2016, 10:16:32 AM »
Hi all, what do you think of all this "text talk"   lol etc, is it making the kids of today lazy in their approach to grammar, I for one do not like it one little bit and I have even heard/seen adults using it,

Your opinions please,      Tony.

roy one

• Global Moderator
Re: Text talk?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2016, 10:36:42 AM »
I'm the last one to go on about  spelling and grammar but I do not understand the text talk that the kids use  lol  but when I hear kids chatting  every other word they us is    like    I was going down the road like dinking my tea like  texting like  just got out of bed like

but has long has folk get what your on about that's all that matter    LIKE  O0
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

cocacolakid

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2016, 11:36:53 AM »
I'm the last one to go on about  spelling and grammar but I do not understand the text talk that the kids use  lol  but when I hear kids chatting  every other word they us is    like    I was going down the road like dinking my tea like  texting like  just got out of bed like

but has long has folk get what your on about that's all that matter    LIKE  O0

Roy..

Sorry, I don't like!!!      ???                                                                                                                   
   Malc.
Every day is a gift, that's why they call it the present.

JudithM

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2016, 01:27:23 PM »
My brother & his wife are both teachers and they really mark down any homework that included text abbreviations  ::) 

It does annoy me when I see text speak in the workplace - such as in e-mails and notes left on cases - as I don't think it's very professional and I certainly don't think it should become acceptable practice just because everyone under the age of 22 writes like that.  The same with phone calls.  I have had people use the 'innit' and 'like' when they have called and I just don't see that as acceptable from a business point of view (same as when people who don't know me cold call and call me by my first name).  Maybe I'm just old fashioned  :-\

I must admit that my brain is not conditioned to abbreviations and when I see a sentence that's just been reduced to the first letter of each word I just haven't got a clue - unless it's a really obvious one like LOL or WTF!  I don't think it's just an age thing as my brain has always been 'long-hand' and I've had to look up things and keep lists of what some letters stand for & even now when I see the term MI, I don't just say 'MI' in my head but say 'Management Information'.....

It is funny though when my one friend who uses text abbreviations a lot accidentally texts my landline instead of my mobile phone and you get the automated voice trying to translate what she's written  ;D
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Brummagemite

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2016, 03:05:32 PM »
Hi Tony

I'm afraid I have to agree with much of what has already been said.  I don't think it is good to use text speak all of the time, and certainly not in work situations.  As Judith says, it is not professional at all to do this.

As to youngsters always saying "like", I think this is a bad habit and, sadly, by and large down to laziness.  Folk tend not to think enough as they speak, and so throw words such as "like" into their speech whilst their minds work out what they're going to say next!

Regarding 'phone calls where they use your first name - my wife was at her elderly mother's when the 'phone rang.  The woman asked to speak to my wife's mother, asking for her by her first name.  My wife asked who was calling, and the woman gave her first name as though she knew my wife's mother.  My wife then called upstairs to her mother, who, not knowing who the woman was, struggled downstairs thinking it was something important.  When my wife heard her mother say "no, not today thank you", it became obvious it was a sales call!!

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2016, 03:32:40 PM »
 so now we have the words init  like and you can add the royal we and you must not forget the    you know you know

so we was in the house like not doing much  you know init  you know    LOL

vamann

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2016, 06:51:26 PM »
Unfortunately it's not only youngsters that use txt talk.  On a car Forum I'm a member of the adults started to use txt talk but were warned that a ban would follow if they continued, that worked :)

TPT.50

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2016, 08:15:23 AM »
Vamann,   perhaps they will ban "text talk" on here too?  worth a shot but what do others think?

Brummagemite

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2016, 10:41:41 AM »
Hi everyone

For old fogies like me I find I get lost trying to read "text talk", as I don't always know straight off what things are supposed to be.  I also think that many tend to use this "lol" without thinking about it, and personally feel it can sometimes be used inappropriately.

I've heard stories about some folk thinking it actually stood for "lots of love", and apparently there's one where after a woman posted up on social media about her husband dying someone else put up something along the lines of "sorry to hear your news lol"!!

On the use of "init", "like" and "y'know", as I've said, these get thrown in because whoever is talking isn’t really thinking that carefully about what they're saying and so are used to fill the gaps, but then it become a habit.

It's not for me to say about a ban, that's for whoever runs this Forum.  I’m just an old fashioned kind of fella, though I suppose others might call me a grumpy old man!!

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2016, 11:06:47 AM »
banning words   

how it works the admin has a word checker  he can ban words   so when a member decides to use a word that's band the censer robots  picks it up and replaces it with the word censored   the admin can ban any word he likes  so if he decides to ban the words init  you know like lol  but lets face it do you want words like that bard

JudithM

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2016, 12:50:41 PM »

As to youngsters always saying "like", I think this is a bad habit and, sadly, by and large down to laziness.  Folk tend not to think enough as they speak, and so throw words such as "like" into their speech whilst their minds work out what they're going to say next!

I suppose 'like' is the new 'um' or 'er'  ;D
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy