Author Topic: Saving Moor Street Station  (Read 24368 times)

townie

Re: Saving Moor Street Station
« Reply #55 on: September 25, 2016, 06:40:45 PM »
View of a demonstration showing how wagons are moved on a traverser whilst in the background the second wagon hoist to lower shed 'B' can be seen. On the left behind the wall is the Snow Hill to Paddington main line with the higher section marking where Park Street passes under the yard. The 25 ton capacity traverser sits above the siding set of rails and is mounted on small wheels running on its own dedicated set of rails running at 90° to the siding's track. The traverser is moved until it aligns with the siding and then the wagon is rolled forward and then 'climbs' the tapered end of the traverser's rails until its sits centrally on the traverser. This manoeuvre is carried out by using powered and dumb capstans in conjunction with ropes attached to the hook of the wagon.

Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

rwmcgowan

« Reply #56 on: September 26, 2016, 08:25:56 PM »
townie ,re your photograph,  my grandfather was a shunter at moor street station ,  in 1941  he was killed by one of the waggons , he had been working there since 1918 after leaving the army , it could not have been an easy job, rwm

townie

« Reply #57 on: September 26, 2016, 09:12:32 PM »
Sorry to hear that rwmcgowan. I was a shunter at Tyseley but my job was a lot easier than your grandfathers as they had invented Health and Safety by the time I started, although not many people stuck to it. Good job though I liked it, coupling trains together in the middle of winter, lying in the snow trying to bend the vacuum pipes when they had just been fitted in the factory. Try bending them in freezing weather .You just couldn't beat it.

JudithM

« Reply #58 on: September 29, 2016, 12:49:54 PM »
I'm not sure of it is on here or somewhere else that a mate of mine John Knight (signman on here) told the story of the booking hall sign that was rescued from Snow Hill station when it was demolished.

The sign was rescued by a company that was on the opposite side of Livery Street to the station, they in turn employed John to renovate the sign. I believe when Moor Street was renovated they donated the sign for use in the station and it now has pride of place over the main entrance.

The first photo is sign over the old booking hall entrance the second shows John renovating the sign, and the last shows it over the entrance at Moor Street.
I didn't know that about the sign.  It's great that it has a new home.
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Bert S

« Reply #59 on: November 18, 2016, 07:47:05 PM »
A little historical aside about moor st. Station. During the later period of the First World War,  my mother who was born in 1908' would go wlth her sisters and watch train loads of German prisoners go through. They would wave to them, and they would wave back. However when ambulance trains went through, large boards and sheets were put up so the number wounded could be seen and rumours circulated. Bert S.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #60 on: November 18, 2016, 08:19:56 PM »
moor street station platform showing goods to be loaded this is about 1916

each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

townie

« Reply #61 on: July 20, 2017, 08:46:23 AM »

There's a station under here somewhere.

JudithM

« Reply #62 on: August 04, 2017, 12:54:16 PM »

There's a station under here somewhere.

:D When was that taken?
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

townie

« Reply #63 on: August 04, 2017, 03:41:20 PM »
Judith. I would say early to mid 90s.

Potomac

« Reply #64 on: August 28, 2017, 10:46:50 PM »
I have just read through this thread.  What a wonderful achievement to save the station.  It certainly has some merit and of course a heritage aspect as well.  I never comprehend why developers have such a love affair with uninteresting featureless structures.  \in fact the only feature for many is the acres of glazing and panelling which often resembled a cliff face.
I lived south of the city as a youngster with the North Warwickshire line running close by the property - rather like the railway children I guess -  though I looked up rather than down at the trains.  In my time it was still steam hauled trains, just a occasional GWR diesel railcar set which originated at Cardiff I believe.  They were prompt, in fact you could set your clocks by them , more or less.
The wonderful traverser at Moor Street, a favourite place to watch for an inquisitive youngster like me. 
best wishes,  Alan

townie

« Reply #65 on: August 29, 2017, 03:39:56 PM »

Moor Street station and the high level goods shed                  with a suburban passenger train leaving the short bay platform No1.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy