Author Topic: The Stork Inn, High St, Aston  (Read 12279 times)

Empty

The Stork Inn, High St, Aston
« on: March 12, 2008, 11:34:57 PM »
Hello Folks!
I recently came across a photo from 1967 of the demolition of the above pub. It was taken from Ray Cooper's newpaper shop opposite. Does anyone remember his shop? Does anyone remember The Stork when my Dad, Arthur Taylor, was the manager? I remember being sent to the Co Op to buy cobs and cooked meats for Mum Irene to make up and sell in the pub. I can recall hanging out of my second floor bedroom window on Saturday nights to watch the strongman tied up in a sack from which he had to escape. I also recall the night a lorry came off the main road and piled into the bar!
When The Stork closed we moved to The Porchester Arms at the top of Clifford St.
Obviously I knew The Stork had been knocked down to make way for the delightful Newtown Shopping Centre but it was still a shock to see the picture.

mazbeth

Re: The Stork Inn, High St, Aston
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 12:28:08 AM »
I bet my mom would remember...I remember Newtown Row before the old shopping centre was put up, and mom taking me down the shops there (we lived on Parliament St.), but can't recall the names of any except The House That Jack Built and the bakers.
Let those that love us, love us. And those that don't, may God turn their hearts. And, if He cannot turn their hearts, May He turn their ankles so we may know them by their limping!- Irish blessing

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 01:22:50 PM »
Sorry Empty,

I cant help you this time, not being a native of the area I know very little about it. I do remember the area before the Newtown Shopping Centre was built (what a disaster that was). I have got some snaps of the High St before redevelopment if you are interested I don't think they show the Stork Inn.  I think I have even got one of Clifford St and that doesn't show the Porchester Arms either. Let me know if you want to see them.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

mazbeth

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 03:18:26 PM »
Hello Folks!
I recently came across a photo from 1967 of the demolition of the above pub.
do you know how to save that picture - upload it to a picture hosting site like http://photobucket.com and then paste the link under it that is for message boards? (it will begin with img)
That will help place where it was - in my mind - and I would love to see that picture - thanks

do you remember the cafe further up Newtown? My dad used to go in there.

I have a vague memory of mom taking us 'up town' (shopping), and seeing dad in the cafe (he was a driver so I think he may have been on a break, and probably was giving mom some money for shopping).
Let those that love us, love us. And those that don't, may God turn their hearts. And, if He cannot turn their hearts, May He turn their ankles so we may know them by their limping!- Irish blessing

mazbeth

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 03:23:30 PM »
By the way, when you said 'Aston High St.' I had to think twice about what you meant...
then I read this today, which explains why...
from http://www.astonbrook-through-astonmanor.co.uk/id53.htm
NEWTOWN ROW or HIGH STREET
We realise the following pictures are mostly of High Street, but it can be said that both Aston folk and outsiders refered to both as Newtown Row, thats why they are under a common title.

I always knew it as Newtown Row

Empty

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2008, 04:43:27 PM »
Hi Mazbeth. It was High St Aston from Six Ways to the Stork. From Asylum Road (Post Office corner) onwards it was Newtown Row.
Hope I managed to attach the pic!

Empty

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2008, 04:44:42 PM »
Mazbeth. Here's one of the Stork taken earlier.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2008, 05:01:07 PM »
Empty

Nice photo's, I hadn't seen either before, hope you don't mind but I've taken a copy of the one of the pub in its glory days, before they replaced it with a shopping centre nobody used.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

mazbeth

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2008, 05:35:24 PM »
well we used it at first Phil, and our school Burlington St., used the new swimming baths, but a couple of years later many of our houses were knocked down (in the 'slum clearance') and we were moved to elsewhere...I guess that's why it didn't get used much...

it was quite exciting for us as kids and I loved the indoor market with the circle of shops in it - and me and my brother used to love standing on the 'magic mat' and making Sainsbury's door automatically open  :D

mazbeth

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2008, 05:38:11 PM »
thanks for the pictures Empty - I think my mom will remember.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2008, 06:43:25 PM »
mazbeth

As you say at first it was quite exiting, but I think they got the timing out of phase.  They built the shopping centre, and when it was complete and up and running. they demolished everything around it.

I remember going there a few days after it opened, am I right in thinking that The House That Jack Built moved over there. Anyway it was all bright and merry and nearly all of the units had been taken.  I had to call there some years later to look at a shop unit that was being refitted and nearly all the units were empty.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy