Author Topic: The Stork Inn, High St, Aston  (Read 12286 times)

stretchy

Re: The Stork Inn, High St, Aston
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2008, 01:20:45 PM »
hi i also remember the house that jack built  there was also another pub back up the high st i think it was on the corner of webster st i think i used to take betting slips to george davis the local bookie for my dad and his friends just used to stand outside and someone would take them in for me very trusting i also seem to remember a shop called blacks does any one remember the sewing machine shop on the corner ofpotters hill and barton st also the sweet shop facing it my dad used to go in and get 5 park drive or woodbine wed get a bag of cailiegh to dip our finger in i think the shop was just known as johns everybody seemed to have everything on the strap and pay when they got paid icn see but cant remnber the names of them but its nice trying to remember  O0

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2008, 02:57:53 PM »
Stretchy

This is the pub that was on the corner of Webster St and High St. So it must be the one you mention.

Phil.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

stretchy

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2008, 01:04:47 PM »
phil i cant thank u enough for the picture it brings back so many memories for me awe used to take the pop bottles back and get i think it was a penny on each one and then we would wait till they put them out in the yard climb over the gtes get them out again then take them back again the next day happy days this is all new to me using this computor but i have so much out in the last few weeks  O0

Empty

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2008, 12:52:20 AM »
Stretchy,
we lived at The Shareholders Arms, Potters Hill in the late 1950s and I well remember the shops you mention, especially Blacks which was a mini department store. My aunty used to take me to the Municipal restaurant by the Aston Hippodrome.The restaurant became The Elbow Room and then The Drum.Next to it was the optician S. Betteson Coombes and then Woolworth on the corner. Mum used to take me to Joans wool shop in Phillips St. I can remember the Home & Colonial for groceries - I once lost a ten bob note on the way home from there when Mum sent me on an errand!Next door was a butcher - can't recall the name- but I remember the carcasses hanging up, dripping onto the sawdust floor and having to try hard not to touch them when the shop was crowded!
Empty

stretchy

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2008, 01:02:19 PM »
hi its interesting that you lived at the shareholders my mother usedto be a cleaner in the morning there her name was iris stretch we used to catch number 8 bus on sundays outside the pub in park lane wed go all the way round get off dad would go in the pub we would go round the corner back home to barton st there was another pub in park lane perhaps you can remember i just remembered another shop i think it was griffins used to sell fruit and veg speak soon O0

Empty

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2008, 01:50:38 PM »
Hello again Stretchy - sorry I can't remember your mum, I was only little when we first went there.The only cleaner I recall clearly was 'aunty' Gert Court who lived in Frederick Rd and stayed with us through our next 3 pub moves! We were there from about 1958 to 1962 when we moved to the Stork. The Shareholders was more or less demolished and rebuilt around us before we moved!The other pub was The Eagle, on the corner of Upper Sutton St and Park Lane. My big brother and I used to take the takings down Park Lane and up to Ansells Brewery (those were the days) and I can recall, on the left hand side going towards Aston Cross a great big advertising poster with a policeman showing off one of his enormous boots! Must have been for shoe polish or something? Funny, the images that stick in your mind!
Empty

stretchy

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2008, 01:08:01 PM »
hi thanks for that bit of information its amazing what you remember the policeman was advertising cherry blossom boot polish there used to be a wood yard i used to push like trolley made of like wicker on wheels to fetch bundles of wood to light the fire i also used to pick big balls of chalk i think they were used to whitewash the toilet walls on a regular basis

wales

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2008, 08:19:20 PM »
hi stretchy. my brother and his mates used to climb over the wall of the vine inn that was in villa st. pass over the empty beer bottles and take them round the front to the outdoor to claim the penny back. ps. still looking for a photo of the vine pub. shall not give up. wales.

mazbeth

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2008, 12:23:28 PM »
Stretchy

This is the pub that was on the corner of Webster St and High St. So it must be the one you mention.

Phil.
one of my friends at school, Lois Willis - born on the exact same day as me...her parents had that pub for a while...so they moved from our road - Parliament St - and went to live there...and me and her used to play upstairs...I think there was a lounge upstairs - and be given crisps and pop which was nice...

and another friend from school - Julie Scott - her parents owned the off licence further down Webster St, on a corner...can't remember the other road's name - but it led up to Burlington St where our school was.

we used to sit on the outdoor step and eat sweets.
Let those that love us, love us. And those that don't, may God turn their hearts. And, if He cannot turn their hearts, May He turn their ankles so we may know them by their limping!- Irish blessing

mazbeth

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2008, 12:27:12 PM »
phil i cant thank u enough for the picture it brings back so many memories for me awe used to take the pop bottles back and get i think it was a penny on each one and then we would wait till they put them out in the yard climb over the gtes get them out again then take them back again the next day happy days this is all new to me using this computor but i have so much out in the last few weeks  O0
it's great isn't it?

I wish you all the best on your new computer...that you'll find it easier than you think to learn things.
Let those that love us, love us. And those that don't, may God turn their hearts. And, if He cannot turn their hearts, May He turn their ankles so we may know them by their limping!- Irish blessing

mazbeth

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2008, 12:28:46 PM »
Mum used to take me to Joans wool shop in Phillips St. ..
now that rings a bell, but I haven't thought of it for years...I'll ask mom if she can remember.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy