Author Topic: THE SOMME  (Read 2361 times)

BRUMMIE JOHN

THE SOMME
« on: July 09, 2016, 02:41:41 PM »
HELLO EVERYONE I HAVE NOT BEEN LOOKING FOR A WHILE BUT DOES ANYONE OUT THERE KNOW IF ANY OF MY FAMILY COULD HAVE BEEN IN THE WAR THE SURNAMES I WOULD BE INTERESTED IN WOULD BE MINE " BUSHELL " or " FERRIS "  JOHN OR JOHN EDWARD SEEM TO FEATURE A LOT IN THE BUSHELL SURNAME AND THE FAMILY ORIGINATE FROM AROUND THE ASTON AREA MY FATHER WAS CHARLES EDWARD AND HE HAD A BROTHER HAROLD AND SISTER EVELYN MY FATHER WAS BORN AROUND 1922 BUT DIED YOUNG AROUND 1962 I KNOW ITS A LONG SHOT BUT ANY INFO WOULD BE GOOD I DONT LIVE IN BRUM NOW I LIVE IN WALES AND HAVE FEW IF ANY RELATIVES ALIVE IN BIRMINGHAM WHO I COULD ASK. MANY THANKS JOHN

astoness

Re: THE SOMME
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 04:25:43 AM »
hello john...very difficult to help you without a bit more information...ancestry have ww1 records that i could look up but even then not all records survived the ww2 bombings...it is possible that your dads dad may have served in ww1....do you have his name?? or the name of any brothers he had..

just for your info your info...charles edward bushell born 1922 aston birmingham mothers maiden name ferris..died 1964 birmingham

lyn

BRUMMIE JOHN

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2016, 09:25:17 AM »
HI THANK YOU I WILL TRY TO FIND MORE BUT THANKS SO FAR JOHN

Spud

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2016, 02:01:32 PM »
I have been following this thread and thought this might be appropriate. I had the privilege to attend a Memorial Service to commemorate the start of WW1 on August 4th 1914. As part of the service this poem was read . I think it is quite remarkable even more so as it was written in 1996 by Jodie Johnson aged 11.

Who are these men who march so proud,
Who quietly weep, eyes closed head bowed,
These are the men who once were boys,
Who missed out on youth and all its joys.

Who are these men with aged faces,
Who silently count the empty spaces,
These are the men who gave their all,
Who fought for their country freedom and all.

Who are these men with sorrowed look.
Who still can remember the lives that were took,
These are the men who saw young men die,
The price of peace is always high.

Who are these men who in the midst of pain,
Whispered comfort to those they would not see again,
These are the men whose hand held tomorrow,
Who brought back our future with blood tears and sorrow.

Who are these men who promise to keep,
Alive in their hearts the ones God hold asleep,
These are the men , to whom remember,
Veterans my friends, I will remember them.
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

JudithM

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2016, 01:28:22 PM »
Very moving and very remarkable considering the authors age!
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

wam

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2016, 09:48:46 AM »
I have been following this thread and thought this might be appropriate. I had the privilege to attend a Memorial Service to commemorate the start of WW1 on August 4th 1914. As part of the service this poem was read . I think it is quite remarkable even more so as it was written in 1996 by Jodie Johnson aged 11.

http://www.bomber-command.info/whoarethesemen.htm lists this as by an 'unknown'-12 year old girl in 1966. I have a vague memory of having heard something like it before but I can't place it.

Spud

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2016, 01:53:24 PM »

http://www.bomber-command.info/whoarethesemen.htm lists this as by an 'unknown'-12 year old girl in 1966. I have a vague memory of having heard something like it before but I can't place it.

WAM I think it is a typographical error Who Are These Men was definitely written in 1996 not 1966 by Jodie Johnson when she was aged 11 . It was inspired by a Service of Remembrance held at The Royal Garrison Church of All Saints on March 12th 1996 and from a comment made by the wife of the National Standard Bearer Peggy Jefferson watching the March Past of some 700 Veterans
I have a photo of the Service which I attended in 2014 I will sort it out and post a little later.

Spud

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2016, 02:04:17 PM »

Wam the Photo as promised.

This is  a Photo of The Remembrance Service Which we attended on Aug 4 2014 in commemoration of the 100th Anniversary of the outbreak of World War 1 It took place on board P&O's MV Aurora berthed just of Korcula [Croatia] and led by a wonderful Man Capt Neil Turnbull it was he that read 'Who Are These Men' as part of the service. I guess that something like 1500 passengers attended and I can honestly say that that evening there was not a dry eye anywhere on board Aurora.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy