Author Topic: Redevelopment at the back & side of The Holliday Inn  (Read 7308 times)

JudithM

Re: Redevelopment at the back & side of The Holliday Inn
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2017, 01:57:17 PM »
Talking of redevelopment in this area, from what I can tell all of Bridge Street has been redeveloped except for this one building, which is adjacent to where I work and is on the corner of Bridge Street & Holliday Street.

I've tried searching the internet to find out more about it, but am drawing a blank.  So, can anyone here tell me about it or point me in the right direction.

It's empty, and clearly has been for some time, but looks in fairly decent nick.  Does anyone know what it's called or what it used to be?  Is it just cottages?

There's a bit of reflection on it as I took the picture through the window!
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2017, 02:36:25 PM »
Judith

I was part of a group of people who discussed this building in depth a little while back, but none of us as I remember were able to come to a definitive decision on exactly the history of this building. My theory (at least I think it was mine) was that it was the Canals & Waterways offices for the canal wharf, but it was never proved either way. So if anybody can come up with a definitive answer with proof I would be the first one to applaud them.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

townie

« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2017, 07:48:43 PM »
I have seen this building before and info that went with it. Unfortunately i deleted all my photos that i had collected. Funny think is I know this but just cant remember, but hopefully it will come back to me. Thank you
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

JudithM

« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2017, 01:03:01 PM »
Judith

I was part of a group of people who discussed this building in depth a little while back, but none of us as I remember were able to come to a definitive decision on exactly the history of this building. My theory (at least I think it was mine) was that it was the Canals & Waterways offices for the canal wharf, but it was never proved either way. So if anybody can come up with a definitive answer with proof I would be the first one to applaud them.

I did think that maybe it was connected to the canals in some way.

I have seen this building before and info that went with it. Unfortunately i deleted all my photos that i had collected. Funny think is I know this but just cant remember, but hopefully it will come back to me. Thank you

Fingers crossed that it'll come back to you  :)

Anyway, it's nice to see at least one older building that's survived all the redevelopment in the area.

JudithM

« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2018, 01:56:14 PM »
Not quite this development, but I couldn't find the Paradise Circus/tram extension thread....

Now that the demolition of Chamberlain House & the Conservatoire are well under way, you can see the Town Hall & Council House from Broad Street.  It's really nice to see that view through.  I hope it's a long while before it's obscured again.

I'll post pictures when I can, but I can't upload them from work, so I'll have to do it at the weekend.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy