Author Topic: The Girl from Hockley  (Read 10229 times)

sueb

The Girl from Hockley
« on: March 13, 2008, 07:09:33 PM »
I'm just re-reading The Girl from Hockley by Kathleen Dayus and it's so interesting.  She lived in Camden Street, which is still there, and was born in 1903.  There are photos of some of the houses and also the old Bull Ring.  I wonder if any of you remember that part of the city.

bazzeruk

Re: The Girl from Hockley
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 05:40:28 PM »
Hi, I have just found this site and registered, I typed in a search for Camden Street where I was born and have read a couple of Kathleen Dayus,s books which just take me back and remind me of things  and places I had forgotten.
  There were four of us children in our family and one of the things that I was reminded of was going to the three penny crush at the Lyric picture house on the parade which meant we walked past camden drive where kathleens mother died in the bombing and often played there on the bomb site  in the early fifties, Close by was wilmott breedons and Sapcotes where both my parents had jobs at one time and another.
       Our landlords where Sucklings whose building is still there today on the corner of Camden street and Albion street, The George pub opposite the fire station in albion street was where we used to sit outside waiting for my Gran to come out when we might get a bag of Smiths broken crisps if we were lucky.
      If anyone remembers these places it would be interesting to share views about them like having to walk through the jewelry quarter to get to my primary school {St Pauls] via Tenby street ,victoria street etc.
        Please contact if you would like a chat about any of these places, all the best, Barry Lee

denise

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 05:45:28 PM »
Hi Barry,welcome to the forum   :)

bazzeruk

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 07:42:54 PM »
Hi Denise nice to meet you, Being so young as you are its nice that you are interested in my childhood memories {I am 70 now and can vaguely remember being carried across Camden street to the air raid shelter in Cruikshanks chemical factory which we lived virtually opposite, of course the main target was Bulpitts [Swan Brand] for the bombers and we were very lucky that our house missed being hit unlike a lot less fortunate than ourselves including Kathleen Dayus,s mother.
        Please let me know if this is a bit boring for you and I will talk about stuff a little nearer your age group, Like watching them pull down Bingley hall which was a place I was particularly fond of having peeped through the back gates many times just to catch a glimpse of the animals {we couldnt afford the entrance fees most of the time or spent it on sweets instead. Then there is the wonderful canal network round the area which as you know has been restored in quite a few places which was a source of endless pleasure to young boys as we were then in the early 50s, anyway thats enough of me for now hope it was pleasant for you to read, Bye for now Barry

denise

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 07:58:57 PM »
Barry,I like to read all the memories that people post on here so keep them coming. ;D

Phil

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2009, 08:06:54 PM »
Hi Barry

Welcome to the forum, I'll have to look out some Ladywood, Brookfields and Hockley photos for you. Anything that you would like to be reminded of, if I have or can find it I will put it up.

We used to do a lot of work for Sapcote (a good old firm) in the late 60's & 70's. So I was always in and out of Camden St for one reason or another during those times.

You reminisce about whatever period you want, we have all ages on this forum and are always eager to hear from our new members.

Phil
Make Love Not War

Phil

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2009, 08:47:18 PM »
Barry

Just a few memories for you, some of the places you mentioned in your post.

The Lyric in Edward Street
Bingley Hall and one of the inside showing a Cattle Show.
The George & Dragon Albion St

And I threw in one of the Grotto in Camden st to make up the five.

Phil
Make Love Not War

bazzeruk

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2009, 10:32:37 PM »
Hi Denise thank you for your welcoming post, There are many things I would like to be prompted into remembering, for instance people who remember St Pauls school in the jewelry quarter and Icknield st school, Also anyone who recalls the terrible accident at the library on the junction of spring hill and Icknield street where a fire engine on call hit an inner circle 8 bus knocking it over onto the library [Still standing]and killed several people, My brother witnessed the immediate aftermath and to this day vividly recalls the scene.
    On a lighter note, does anyone remember the "[censored] and peas" shop just up spring hill on the left going towards Dudley road hospital, it was opposite an household supplies shop which I seem to remember as Allibone and Batchelors, and of course all the various pubs that we were never allowed to go in because of our age, I remember trying to crane my neck over the outdoor counter trying to see what went on in those then sometimes very noisy places  Also the ice rink was close at hand, the sandpits the flats at hockley, My first job was at Browns of Key hill an wholesale grocers, and when I was still at school I did errands around the Jewelry quarter and watched in awe some of the amazing work they used to turn out at the multitude of little factory premises, I hope this is enough for now and that it will also jog other peoples memories, hopefully in a pleasant way thanks again, hope to talk again soon , Regards barry

Desi£Chord

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2011, 03:50:06 PM »
It was so nostalgic to see the photos above, especially the George & Dragon pub in Albion St, it was my home in the early 60's around 1964 for approx 3 years. My late father Sean Corcoran and my Mother Kathleen were Landlords. It was a great place to live with a lively crowd mostly made up of Firemen from the nearby station. I had expected it to be knocked down by now as I've not been near there since we left around 1965. I'd love to see any more photos of the area and in particulr inside the pub. We had previously lived in the Ladywood slums in nearby Anderton St. If anyone remembers us do please mail me

Phil

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2011, 04:30:44 PM »
Hi Desi

Welcome to the forum, I'm afraid I didn't know Ladywood very well until the end of the 60's except for the odd incursion for the odd assignation. Here are some more photos of Albion Street through the years.

Phil
Make Love Not War

Phil

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2011, 04:32:24 PM »
Hi again Desi

A few more of Anderton Street that you might recall.

Phil
Make Love Not War