Author Topic: The Girl from Hockley  (Read 16471 times)

bazzeruk

Re: The Girl from Hockley
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2011, 05:24:43 PM »
first of all my apologies for being away for so long,I was so pleased to see the photo,s and comments that I missed, One in particular was about Sapcotes the builders where my mother worked as a cleaner for some time [Roughly around the early 50s] she also worked at a small engineering firm on the sandpits which I remember as Chiltern tools. At about the same time my father worked at Wilmot Breedon as a commissionaire, Earlier he had worked for Broughs leather in Camden st near the icknield st junction and Prudens barber shop on the corner diagonally opposite Baines the bread shop [oooh those rock cakes and drippin cakes], on the other corner was Howards paper shop.
   this is why these forums are so interesting as we get older, They often come up with reminders of places sometimes long forgotten, Many thanks to all and compliments of the season to you and yours, Barry Lee

planetmalc

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2011, 07:12:05 PM »
At about the same time my father worked at Wilmot Breedon as a commissionaire, Earlier he had worked for Broughs leather in Camden st near the icknield st junction and Prudens barber shop on the corner diagonally opposite Baines the bread shop [oooh those rock cakes and drippin cakes], on the other corner was Howards paper shop.
    Barry Lee

There's a Pruden barber's shop in Shirley Parade.
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

bazzeruk

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2011, 10:14:45 AM »
Thanks for the information, I remember vividly being dragged kicking and screaming for a basin cut there, I will check  to see if there is a connection there is a good chance with this unusual surname, Thanks again, Barry

Spud

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2011, 02:06:04 PM »
Reading the posts about Camden St and Sapcotes reminds about the time around 1957 when I worked for Cartwrights the Timber Merchants in Snow Hill . Sapcotes were a customer of Cartwrights but were always a little slow in settling their account. I was only about 16 at the time but was sent round to Sapcotes office to collect the arrears.As I remember to reach their office involved climbing a set of wooden stairs up the outside of the building.Knocking on the office door with a bit of a relish the door opened and I was confronted by the imposing figure of Mr W Sapcote himself.Sapcote was a bit of a character and dressed accordingly and there he was in a loud check suit plus fours and a deerstalker.
The conversation went something like this.
Sapcote 'What do you want Sonny ?'
Me 'Mr Evans from Cartwrights has sent me to collect your oustanding account'
By this time I knew just how Oliver Twist felt when he aked for more.
Sapcote 'Owe money? he boomed in a beadle like voice.'Tell Evans when he sends some decent wood I'll pay him'
With discretion being the better part of cowardice and my short lived career as a debt collector in tatters I returned emptyhanded and dear old Sapcote stayed on the black list. :-[
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2011, 03:56:09 PM »
Spud

I always found Sapcotes to be good payers, of course like all old established companies they always held on to it as long as possible and prices had to be cut down to the bare bone, but if they owed it you it was like having money in the bank.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

seaminx

« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2011, 09:27:33 AM »
I was a 3-5 year old when our family moved in to guest st, after fathers buisiness colapsed on key hill in the early 1950s. I remember the bomb sites vividly as the mounds of earth left pools of water that i could float model boats in. Just north east i would often find Pearl shells that were peppered with small holes in them, later to learn that they came from a button factory that must have been bombed. I went to school was at Nursary Rd and can not find any one who remembers it.

Sue1

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2015, 08:40:59 AM »
I'm just reading this lovely book now. I hope the forum isn't closed. Lovely to read more about the area. I see there's an attempt to renovate The George and Dragon. Some of you should really get involved... Perhaps giving advice ...  If you aren't already. 😄
SueH X

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2015, 10:16:11 AM »
Hi Sue

Welcome to the forum, just thought I would mention that a topic on this forum is never closed unless it is locked or removed. Please feel at liberty to browse through all the old threads and add comments wherever you like. You never know it may lead to the thread being revitalised.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2015, 10:42:52 AM »
hi sue welcome have a look at this photo

each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Chris Miles

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2018, 12:43:19 PM »
 :) HI there, my husband Ken, used to spend a lot of time in the George and Dragon, playing darts, in the early 60's. Does anyone know anything about the gaffers two daughters, Christine and Linda Morris. He'd love to get in touch!

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2018, 06:28:42 PM »
:) HI there, my husband Ken, used to spend a lot of time in the George and Dragon, playing darts, in the early 60's. Does anyone know anything about the gaffers two daughters, Christine and Linda Morris. He'd love to get in touch!

Hi Chris

Welcome to the forum, sorry I can't help you with your enquiry as I know nothing about the George & Drangon other than what can be gathered by passing by on the odd occasion. I suppose your husband would recognise the pub more easily from this image.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy