Author Topic: The Girl from Hockley  (Read 16470 times)

astoness

Re: The Girl from Hockley
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2018, 07:05:32 PM »
happy to say that after the george and dragon was closed for about 10 years and we had fears for it it was taken on and massive refurb went ahead and it is now open again and called the pig and tail..the new owners are the same as the ones who now run a pub on gas st called the pickled piglet

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.4845778,-1.9142271,3a,75y,293.3h,102.19t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sO7X7oHtQl1VPH1tlybjfNQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Scipio

« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2018, 10:23:48 PM »

Hi, I have just found this site and registered, I typed in a search for Camden Street where I was born and have read a couple of Kathleen Dayus,s books which just take me back and remind me of things  and places I had forgotten.
  There were four of us children in our family and one of the things that I was reminded of was going to the three penny crush at the Lyric picture house on the parade which meant we walked past camden drive where kathleens mother died in the bombing and often played there on the bomb site  in the early fifties, Close by was wilmott breedons and Sapcotes where both my parents had jobs at one time and another.
       Our landlords where Sucklings whose building is still there today on the corner of Camden street and Albion street, The George pub opposite the fire station in albion street was where we used to sit outside waiting for my Gran to come out when we might get a bag of Smiths broken crisps if we were lucky.
      If anyone remembers these places it would be interesting to share views about them like having to walk through the jewelry quarter to get to my primary school {St Pauls] via Tenby street ,victoria street etc.
        Please contact if you would like a chat about any of these places, all the best, Barry Lee

Welcome Barry , I used to live in William St just off Broad St from about 1955 to 1970 , when we moved to the flats behind the Hall of Memory . I remember the Lyric very well I saw Reach For The Sky there about Douglas Bader.Later on in the 70's I used to work in George St , called into the George on the way home Wilson Jones the one time Welsh footballer kept it in those days . I think he was a footballer or he could have been a rugby player he was in his late 60's I think at that time . It was always a good pint anyway
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Spud

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2018, 07:57:21 AM »
Scipio
Wilson Jones played for The Blues. I saw him play this would be just after the War.
There was a song made up about the Blues around this it was put to the tune of Lili Marlene
The words went something like this

Dougall taps to Bodle
Bodle's doin fine
A lovely touch to Edwards who runs it down the line
Back in the centre JONES in a scrum
But now we need a goal for Brum
Just leave it to Mulraney
Mulraney is the one

Ambrose Mulaney was the first player I ever saw sent off in those days they were not banished to the dressing room and Mulraney sat on the wall which was around the terraces for the rest of the Game
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

Scipio

« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2018, 10:11:49 AM »

Scipio
Wilson Jones played for The Blues. I saw him play this would be just after the War.
There was a song made up about the Blues around this it was put to the tune of Lili Marlene
The words went something like this

Dougall taps to Bodle
Bodle's doin fine
A lovely touch to Edwards who runs it down the line
Back in the centre JONES in a scrum
But now we need a goal for Brum
Just leave it to Mulraney
Mulraney is the one

Ambrose Mulaney was the first player I ever saw sent off in those days they were not banished to the dressing room and Mulraney sat on the wall which was around the terraces for the rest of the Game

He was 100% gentleman whenever you went in there , I can only praise the man . Spud by the way it certainly does go well with Lili Marlene
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy