Author Topic: Moving to Birmingham :3 Looking for friends  (Read 5240 times)

brumdave

Re: Moving to Birmingham :3 Looking for friends
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2016, 06:14:28 AM »
There you go Bart Coastal has told you that there are a lot of Polish bus drivers in Birmingham, just keep catching bus's until you come across a friendly Polish driver I am sure they would point you into the right direction for a friendly outstretched hand, I wish you all the best and I hope you find the kind of life you are looking for.
Wszystkiego najlepszego

Dave

TPT.50

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2016, 07:43:26 AM »
Brumdave,   Erdington is bursting at the seam's, fact not fiction, the point of my post is simply to state this fact regardless of where the "visitors" come from AND I can think of much better places to start a new life, as I'm more than sure you know Brum in particular has a serious overcrowding problem, to the point where folk actually born in Brum can't be housed, forcing them to rent in the private sector, a expensive and disappointing way to start out.

brumdave

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2016, 09:05:38 AM »
To be honest TPT.50 I didn't know that, there seems to be a lot of debate regarding housing on this forum, there must have been lots of homes demolished with little rebuilding, if that is the case it shows pretty poor town planning by the council, so much talk of a fancy city centre seems to hit a nerve with many forum members, what a shame the greatest industrial city in the UK finished up being a place to suck up to tourists, I thought that kind of thing was restricted to the Banana Republic that I live in.

I still have family living in Brum that keep me up to date in whats going on back home, we in Australia are in a similar situation, greedy investors snap up homes cheap then rent them out at insane prices, it is nothing for people to have to pay 350 quid a week for a 3 bedroom house, people on the basic wage have no hope of paying those kind of rents so resort to living in their cars , caravans or tents, building public housing has just about come to a grinding halt.

planetmalc

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2016, 02:33:29 PM »
There is a large Polish population in Erdington which is only 20 minutes on the bus from the City Centre.  One or two Polish Supermarkets as well in the High Street of Erdington.

Also in Station Road, Erdington (and a Hungarian shop too, I think).

Poles in Brum usually head for the Polish Club in the City Centre (not far from Moor Street Station). O0
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

Coastal

« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2016, 03:15:16 PM »
Acocks Green is another popular area for Polish people.
Do unto others before they do unto you.

TPT.50

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2016, 08:41:39 AM »
Brumdave,     All these facts are so true, even though we live miles apart a very similar thing is taking place here in Brum, but I must just say it hasn't reached the point of people  actually "roughing it"(I say this as I haven't witnessed it myself) but its my belief that situation could be just around the corner, my OWN DAUGHTER is finding it impossible, yes impossible to get a council property and she was actually advised to "look elsewhere" its all just so wrong and unfair, so obviously when I actually see "outsiders" moving into council properties it makes my blood boil, so of course I object when others suggest that these visitors head for Erdington, unless you actually live here you can't see it happening, its not actually advertised in the daily papers and as I'm sure you remember, living in a different ward of Brum can be like living in a different town, I live with these facts day in day out and I'm NOT in the habit of lying,

All the best,      Tony.

brumdave

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2016, 10:10:26 AM »
TPT.50 There must be something going on for similarities to be the same 13,000 miles apart, when refugees arrive in Australia they are paid social security payments, helped out with furniture and other household items and given public housing, this is why there are so many homeless people over here, what the government does is pay motel fees for some families which is usually miles away from where they used to live, this is a temporary measure because the families get shifted from place to place all the time, this is bad for the children as they go to so many different schools and their education is destroyed, Ozzies are up in arms about this but I really wonder if people really care, there is a mentality of "stuff you Jack I am alright" this used to be the lucky country but it ain't anymore, I can certainly see why people back home are up in arms, its almost as though the born and bred locals have become second class citizens.

TPT.50

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2016, 10:44:59 AM »
Brumdave,     Ditto,    but try explaining this to some ex Brummies, they are under the illusion that Brum is still the wonderful place it once was,  they should try living here and not keep spouting off about the "good old times" they DID exist but that was then, NOT NOW, they are GONE, and NO dreaming will ever bring them back, its a great shame but very true, I KNOW, I still live here,

All the best,      Tony.

Coastal

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2016, 11:31:27 AM »
You are right TPT, ex Brummies are inclined to base their comments on the Birmingham they knew, I should know because I am one, I moved to live near Droitwich about six years ago, although I still worked in Brum near the city centre, and just over a year ago I took early retirement and moved to Wales.
Remember there is a reason we are "ex" Brummies, It would be interesting to know the reasons why we all left, maybe if Birmingham was so great, we wouldn't be "ex",
And we are all quick enough to criticise people from other countries who come to live here, then tell us how great their homeland is, well it might be on a different scale (as a lot of us still live in the UK) but it's the same thing, the term that springs to mind is "rose tinted glasses".
Do unto others before they do unto you.

townie

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2016, 05:37:10 PM »
I moved in 77 I was offered either a multi storey flat in Brum or a brand new 3 bedroom house in Tamworth. What would you have picked?
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

TPT.50

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2016, 08:26:17 AM »
Coastal,  well spoken and so very true,    Townie, I think you may of guessed my answer and the choice you made was obviously the right one,
              Best of luck both,     Tony.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy