Author Topic: Motorcycle identification wanted , please.  (Read 5422 times)

cocacolakid

Motorcycle identification wanted , please.
« on: August 25, 2016, 04:24:17 PM »

Can anyone tell me for sure, what make and model this motorcycle is, please.  Does anyone recognise the area of B,ham where the photo was taken? The photo would have been taken sometime in the 1930s, I believe.   Thanks.

Malc.

Every day is a gift, that's why they call it the present.

roy one

• Global Moderator
Re: Motorcycle identification wanted , please.
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 04:49:03 PM »

hi malc iv give it a bit of a make over to see if that helps members    roy
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

cocacolakid

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 06:34:33 PM »
Roy,  I couldn't do very well with the picture, myself, so any improvement is appreciated,  thanks.

Malc.

Akatarawa

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 11:20:34 PM »
It may be a Panther,  do I see twin exhaust pipes?  Then there was the AJS Twin Port ?

TPT.50

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2016, 08:06:15 AM »
And I would of thought more like the 40s/50s judging by the lampposts etc?

cocacolakid

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2016, 12:16:15 PM »
And I would of thought more like the 40s/50s judging by the lampposts etc?

TPT.50..

Definitely not 1940s / 50s.   The photo is of my late father. I was around in the 40s/50s, so would have seen the bike. It is sometime in the 30s. before he married my mother in 1939.  Unfortunately, I could not get the picture to appear on the forum, as clear as the original one I have.

Malc.

Akatarawa

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2016, 08:26:52 PM »
Here's more food for thought,  notice carefully the bright crankcase part next to your fathers left leg and note there could be a circular raised bit on it.

Now compare with this 1933 New Imperial"
https://www.google.co.nz/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjioOie5t_OAhUEp5QKHelgB3QQjRwIBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.roncobb.com%2Fnewimperial.html&psig=AFQjCNGEkXYT9iwBUW49nsJcx4a_ywS_uw&ust=1472325463720356

Bit of a long link from Google but it seems to work

Akatarawa

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2016, 12:31:08 AM »

This is a photo of my mum on my dads New Imperial taken around 1936, knew I had it somewhere.  You can just see the chain case cover behind her leg with the central boss much like the one in the other photo, and the front of the chain case rising up steeply.

Edit: This is a better link to the other New Imperial photo  http://www.roncobb.com/newimperial.html

baz

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2016, 10:09:43 AM »
That's a great bit of detective work, Akatarawa !

TPT.50

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2016, 10:29:33 AM »
Cocacolakid,     Sorry, my mistake,       Tony.

cocacolakid

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2016, 10:44:08 AM »
Here's more food for thought,  notice carefully the bright crankcase part next to your fathers left leg and note there could be a circular raised bit on it.

Now compare with this 1933 New Imperial"
https://www.google.co.nz/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjioOie5t_OAhUEp5QKHelgB3QQjRwIBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.roncobb.com%2Fnewimperial.html&psig=AFQjCNGEkXYT9iwBUW49nsJcx4a_ywS_uw&ust=1472325463720356

Bit of a long link from Google but it seems to work

Akatarawa..

Thanks, for that link.   Looking at that, the crank case is so distinctive, that I was sure, after comparing it with my photo, that you are spot on, it had to be a New Imperial.  With that now in mind, I was able to to just about make out the words on the petrol tank. They are very faint on my original photo, but with the name of the bike you say it is, I can see that it does indeed say New Imperial.  The bike in the link is very similar, there are small variations I can see, but makers did and still do make modifications on there bikes.  A pity I can't get the picture to post as clearly as the original, for some reason, the bike and surrounding road features are not so clear, so I doubt if anyone will identify the road or area, but am happy to be proven wrong.  My father & his parents lived in several parts of B,ham, over the years.  Thanks again for your enthusiasm, At least I now know the make of bike, which was my priority.  Nice pic of your mother on your dad's bike.

Malc.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy