Author Topic: Motorcycle identification wanted , please.  (Read 5421 times)

cocacolakid

Re: Motorcycle identification wanted , please.
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2016, 10:47:24 AM »
Cocacolakid,     Sorry, my mistake,       Tony.

Tony..

No need to apologise,  I appreciate your interest, and input.

Malc.
Every day is a gift, that's why they call it the present.

Spud

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2016, 10:53:45 AM »
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

cocacolakid

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2016, 11:32:23 AM »

Spud..

Thanks for the pic, Similar crank case, but a larger dome part to that of my fathers bike.  I have looked on the New Imperial owners site, there are several bikes with the dome, both small & large.  There are some models without the dome part, too.

I am satisfied that the bike is indeed a New Imperial, still wondering if anyone will come up with the location of my photo???

Malc.
Every day is a gift, that's why they call it the present.

Akatarawa

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2016, 08:57:13 PM »
The New Imperial primary chain case is quite distinctive.  The dome part most likely encloses the clutch and the top part would enclose a drive to the magdyno.  Probably the larger engine sized bikes had bigger clutches, so the dome piece is bigger.

I also read somewhere that the gear box was integral with the crankcase, quite a feature at the time, when they usually had separate gear boxes, often made by Burmans where my dad worked for many years.

TPT.50

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2016, 08:39:11 AM »
Well done all, another mystery solved on this great forum,     All the best,      Tony.

DavidWilliams

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2016, 10:39:40 PM »
the bike your trying to identify is later as it appears to have telescopic forks

Akatarawa

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2016, 05:03:54 AM »
the bike your trying to identify is later as it appears to have telescopic forks

I don't think so Dave, the lightweight New Imperials of that time 1935/8 had girder forks, but some instead of being made from separate tubes had a one piece pressing,  something like the  Vincent forged Dural girdraulic fork.  These could look a bit like telescopics  in some views especially as the photo is not that good.

The one my mum is sitting on has tube girder forks, that was a 350 cc..AFAI remember my Dad saying.  I think the lighter weight machines may have had pressings.

DavidWilliams

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2016, 11:36:45 AM »
Sorry I stand corrected after seeing the later picture I can see those type of forks must confess I worked at vale on slows and county cycle on motorbikes but that. One puzzled me to say the least

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy