Author Topic: Bristol street shops  (Read 18128 times)

Roy999

Re: Bristol street shops
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2017, 11:10:19 PM »
Hi folks, new to the forum because you showed my house where I was born in 1956. Page 1 Bristol st shops 5, actually shows the Horsefair with Evans and Kitchen car showroom on the right. My nan lived above, 2nd window from the left. I was born there and there were actually four, 4 bedrooms houses above the showroom. In the late 60s early 70s my nan an the other neighbours used take the performers from the Hippodrome in as lodgers. The pub on the corner of Thorp street is the White Lion, grandads old local. I used to sit in the bay window and watch the builders. First church opposite was demolished then the underpass was dug and built then the two towers went up. Happy days.

JudithM

« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2017, 01:25:56 PM »
The re-development now looks to be nearing completion, well, as far as the outside is concerned anyway.

The scaffolding is still up, with plastic to stop debris, so I don't get a particularly clear view on my commute, but it does look like they are replicating the building that used to be in the 'gap' where the out of place 2 storey building stood, so the original continuous line of 3 to 4 storey buildings will be reinstated.

I'll take a picture as I pass once the scaffolding comes down.
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Clematis

« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2017, 02:36:58 PM »
Bristol Street (no date)

JudithM

« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2017, 01:06:25 PM »
Bristol Street (no date)

That's a great picture.  The clothes styles look rather Edwardian - especially the ladies in white on the left of the picture.

JudithM

« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2017, 02:33:57 PM »
Monaco House has been completely demolished now, just a big pile of rubble left.

JudithM

« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2018, 01:14:53 PM »
Just in case anybody else is following this development, Monaco House, Nova Court, the petrol station and the church have now all been demolished.  Bristol Street Motors is stranded in a sea of rubble.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2018, 03:27:08 PM »
Judith

I'm not exactly following the redevelopment aspect, but I am always sorry to see old buildings go and in the Bristol Street they certainly have got rid of some beautiful buildings and what can you say about the replacements? I could say something, but as a moderator I would have to delete it.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

mikejee

« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2018, 08:57:53 PM »
Bristol St motors, or virtually any car showroom for that matter, would be a building which would be no great loss, in fact an open grass site would be more pleasant, not that that i likely  to happen

astoness

« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2018, 10:29:17 PM »
agree with both of your comments mike and phil

lyn

JudithM

« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2018, 01:30:56 PM »
Bristol St motors, or virtually any car showroom for that matter, would be a building which would be no great loss, in fact an open grass site would be more pleasant, not that that i likely  to happen

And that's the only building left there  ;D  ;D  ;D

Both Monaco House & Nova Court were more modern 'tower block' type office buildings, so no great loss & I think it's going to be mainly housing on the site now.  What was probably the greater loss were the buildings that were there before they knocked them down to build Monaco House & Nova Court.....

JudithM

« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2018, 02:32:19 PM »
A couple of pictures I took before everything (except Bristol Street Motors) was flattened -

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy