Author Topic: Trafalgar road Moseley  (Read 6309 times)

Shah

Trafalgar road Moseley
« on: September 04, 2016, 08:34:21 PM »
Hi everyone!

I was wondering if anyone can help, I live on Trafalgar rd Moseley and I am trying to find some old photos of the road and houses.
So far I have only been able to find a couple of old postcards and the tram depot.
I know the houses were quite grand and a lot different than today, mainly all the big houses have been chopped into flats or demolished to make way for cul-de-sacs etc.
Hope you can help, any info, stories of the people who lived on the road/area would be fantastic.

Thanks

Shah

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Trafalgar road Moseley
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2016, 09:57:17 PM »
Shah

First of all let me say, I remember Trafalgar Road when it was a very grand road indeed. When a friend of mines family moved down from Scotland in the late 50's they had the ground floor of one of the bigger houses as a flat. If I remember correctly it was number 85 which puts it about where the new Admiral Grove is now. I remember whenever I visited him there I could never get over the size of the rooms and how the ground floor of a house could be bigger than the whole of the house that I lived in then. The bathroom was bigger than our living room.

Here are a couple of photos of Trafalgar Rd and one of Woodbridge Road that as you will know runs along the top of Trafalgar Rd. I will sort you some of the tram depot out tomorrow along with some mote of Bristol St.

I find it gratifying to discover a comparative youngster such as yourself with an interest in the history of Birmingham as most people of your age that I come into contact with have no interest at all in the city that they live in. 
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Moseley Man

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2016, 10:45:14 PM »
Fantastic Shah, my Mates are Polish at 55, if you need dinner at Ponte let me know.

Shah

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 01:03:03 AM »
Thanks Moseleyman, love pontes! Great restaurant!

Thanks again Phil.

Love these images, although they are the ones I have seen, although again I never saved them, so glad to see them again.
Funnily enough I live at 86, again a house split into 2 flats, which in them selves are huge, I'm on the top floor and just gone into the loft. When I bought it the council had it for years, every bit of character ripped out of it, I have spent the last 7 years trying to put some original features back in, big skirting and proper coving etc. When I did the loft I came across a photo in a frame of a family, I have no idea who it may be, but it would be amazing if they actually lived in the house. I know a family called the teasdales from Yorkshire lived here for around for 40 years from 1890 until around 1930.
The exterior of the house sadly retains no original features and has been rendered, unlike 88 in the same style. I know some of the internal walls have been rebuilt, so I'm guessing the house may have been damaged in the war, but not bad enough to completely flatten it.

I can't say I have been called a youngster for a while but I dare not ask how old everyone else on here is! I love the city and its past and if I can pass some of your information and experiences on to others then I think we're doing something right don't you.

I will dig out the picture I found and some pictures of the house as it is now so you can understand what I mean

Thanks

Shah

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2016, 02:03:30 PM »
Shah

As I said pictures of Trafalgar Toad are very thin on the ground. I'm sure that someone on here who is into genealogy would be able to tell you some of the history of your house as they have access the government census records which I don't have because genealogy is not my thing.

As for the age of posters on this forum, then I think the majority would be at least twice your age, and although like myself their bodies might be a little infirm in the most part their minds are still 100%.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

mikejee

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2016, 07:36:02 PM »
I assume you have not previously  gone into the early occupants of the house. It first appears in the 1870s as Mostyn Villa, as which it is listed in early directories. At that time only part of the street appears to have been numbered, and this house was in the part that had not.   I am pretty sure it is not listed in the 1871 census, certainly not under that name, or in the 1873 directory (which would refer to 1872 or possibly 1871), but is listed in the 1876 directory (referring to 1875) as Mostyn villa. The occupant (presumably the first) then and in the 1881 census  was Edward William Badger, his wife, Mary Ann , with 2 sons, 2 daughters and 2 servants. He was described as a newspaper proprietor (almost certainly a partner-owner) in the firm of Dain, Peyton & Co, who published the Midland Counties Herald. He seems to have left the property between the 1882 & 1886 directories. In the 1884 directory the occupant was Frederick Hufton, who is probably the same Federick Hufon who is described as an ironfounder with his own business in the 1891 census, living at 31 Grantham Road. However by the 1888 directory the house is occupied by Frederick Teasdale, who is then described as a commercial traveller, with 4 sons and 2 daughters, the eldest son being a lithographic apprentice. By the time of the 1901 census Frederick is a commercial jeweller (clothing), though not sure what sort of jewellery that is. then his eldest is a practising lithographer, his younger brother a lithographic artist and the elder daughter a dressmaker. In 1911 Frederick is still a commercial jeweller (clothing) and one daughter , who is a teacher lives with them. also another teacher and a younger  girl (possibly the other's sister ?) as lodgers.
Frederick is still listed there in the 1915 directory, but by 1921 it is just Mrs Teasdale, so he has presumably died. According to the electoral rolls Mrs Teasdale is still there in 1925, but has gone by 1930. After 1920 a number of other people are listed, so she might have taken in lodgers, as she had earlier on.
In 1935 the house was occupied by an Annie Hurley, and from 1939-62 by Rebecca Whitehead, with assorted other Whiteheads. In 1965 it is Dennis & Beryl Sullivan/ online electoral rolls only go to 1965.

Shah

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2016, 08:29:26 PM »
I assume you have not previously  gone into the early occupants of the house. It first appears in the 1870s as Mostyn Villa, as which it is listed in early directories. At that time only part of the street appears to have been numbered, and this house was in the part that had not.   I am pretty sure it is not listed in the 1871 census, certainly not under that name, or in the 1873 directory (which would refer to 1872 or possibly 1871), but is listed in the 1876 directory (referring to 1875) as Mostyn villa. The occupant (presumably the first) then and in the 1881 census  was Edward William Badger, his wife, Mary Ann , with 2 sons, 2 daughters and 2 servants. He was described as a newspaper proprietor (almost certainly a partner-owner) in the firm of Dain, Peyton & Co, who published the Midland Counties Herald. He seems to have left the property between the 1882 & 1886 directories. In the 1884 directory the occupant was Frederick Hufton, who is probably the same Federick Hufon who is described as an ironfounder with his own business in the 1891 census, living at 31 Grantham Road. However by the 1888 directory the house is occupied by Frederick Teasdale, who is then described as a commercial traveller, with 4 sons and 2 daughters, the eldest son being a lithographic apprentice. By the time of the 1901 census Frederick is a commercial jeweller (clothing), though not sure what sort of jewellery that is. then his eldest is a practising lithographer, his younger brother a lithographic artist and the elder daughter a dressmaker. In 1911 Frederick is still a commercial jeweller (clothing) and one daughter , who is a teacher lives with them. also another teacher and a younger  girl (possibly the other's sister ?) as lodgers.
Frederick is still listed there in the 1915 directory, but by 1921 it is just Mrs Teasdale, so he has presumably died. According to the electoral rolls Mrs Teasdale is still there in 1925, but has gone by 1930. After 1920 a number of other people are listed, so she might have taken in lodgers, as she had earlier on.
In 1935 the house was occupied by an Annie Hurley, and from 1939-62 by Rebecca Whitehead, with assorted other Whiteheads. In 1965 it is Dennis & Beryl Sullivan/ online electoral rolls only go to 1965.

Mikejee,

Wow! How facinating, thank you so much for this information. I'm a complete novice at this, so I had only looked at  I think 3 censuses, I had no knowledge of anything other than this.
I'm certain the building was damaged at some point due to some internal and external walls being made of 'breeze block'.
I know from my neighbour next door who had lived there since the mid 80s that there where 2 girls who lived here, one by the name of Sharon. After that it was bought on the right to buy scheme by the chap I bought it off, a Hungarian chap by the name of 'steve' although I have had mail since by the name of Francis. It must have been some time after 1965 that the house was possibly damaged and reworked into 2 flats. I'm not sure that even stacks up? Do you think that could have been around the time of this mass converting of extremely large houses into flats?
Amazed that after only discovering this forum over breakfast yesterday, I now have some very good info on the building and area. I guess it's not what you know...
Imagine how many images are lost, compared to the small amount actually online.
Cheers to you and Phil

Shah

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2016, 10:38:45 AM »
Shah

I've just realised that both Mike and I have chatted with you before elsewhere and that is possibly why you have seen the photos I posted before.

Anyway here are the photos of the Tram/Bus depot at the bottom of Trafalgar Road that I promised you.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Shah

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2016, 09:56:29 PM »
Phil

Did I speak to one of you through me contacting the Moseley society?

I contacted them and met a chap at the Moseley market when when that had a stall there.

Great images of the tram depot, great building but Shame it's not better looked after, made a right mess of the front building when they tried to extend it

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2016, 08:18:50 AM »
Shah

No it was another Birmingham based forum, I can't mention the name as it is the policy of this forum not to advertise other forums, but I could send you the name by PM if it is important.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

simoncebu

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2017, 07:53:49 AM »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy