Author Topic: Trafalgar road Moseley  (Read 6310 times)

simoncebu

Re: Trafalgar road Moseley
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2017, 07:59:44 AM »

Just a short note. I've just joined this site and actually lived in Trafalgar Road with my parents at 120. I lived there from around 1954 till 67. The reason i'm posting is that my mother who died in 2004 was actually residing at 104A Trafalgar Road in 1916 when she was born and her mother Marie was a Teasdale. Not sure yet what the connection with No. 86 was .
I live in The Philippines but my brother who is 68 lives in Birmingham still.

simoncebu

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2017, 08:05:16 AM »
Just a short note. I've just joined this site and actually lived in Trafalgar Road with my parents at 120. I lived there from around 1954 till 67. The reason i'm posting is that my mother who died in 2004 was actually residing at 104A Trafalgar Road in 1916 when she was born and her mother Marie was a Teasdale. Not sure yet what the connection with No. 86 was .
I live in The Philippines but my brother who is 68 lives in Birmingham still.

simoncebu

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2017, 07:49:42 AM »
I assume you have not previously  gone into the early occupants of the house. It first appears in the 1870s as Mostyn Villa, as which it is listed in early directories. At that time only part of the street appears to have been numbered, and this house was in the part that had not.   I am pretty sure it is not listed in the 1871 census, certainly not under that name, or in the 1873 directory (which would refer to 1872 or possibly 1871), but is listed in the 1876 directory (referring to 1875) as Mostyn villa. The occupant (presumably the first) then and in the 1881 census  was Edward William Badger, his wife, Mary Ann , with 2 sons, 2 daughters and 2 servants. He was described as a newspaper proprietor (almost certainly a partner-owner) in the firm of Dain, Peyton & Co, who published the Midland Counties Herald. He seems to have left the property between the 1882 & 1886 directories. In the 1884 directory the occupant was Frederick Hufton, who is probably the same Federick Hufon who is described as an ironfounder with his own business in the 1891 census, living at 31 Grantham Road. However by the 1888 directory the house is occupied by Frederick Teasdale, who is then described as a commercial traveller, with 4 sons and 2 daughters, the eldest son being a lithographic apprentice. By the time of the 1901 census Frederick is a commercial jeweller (clothing), though not sure what sort of jewellery that is. then his eldest is a practising lithographer, his younger brother a lithographic artist and the elder daughter a dressmaker. In 1911 Frederick is still a commercial jeweller (clothing) and one daughter , who is a teacher lives with them. also another teacher and a younger  girl (possibly the other's sister ?) as lodgers.
Frederick is still listed there in the 1915 directory, but by 1921 it is just Mrs Teasdale, so he has presumably died. According to the electoral rolls Mrs Teasdale is still there in 1925, but has gone by 1930. After 1920 a number of other people are listed, so she might have taken in lodgers, as she had earlier on.
In 1935 the house was occupied by an Annie Hurley, and from 1939-62 by Rebecca Whitehead, with assorted other Whiteheads. In 1965 it is Dennis & Beryl Sullivan/ online electoral rolls only go to 1965.

simoncebu

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2017, 07:52:44 AM »
It turns out that Frederick Teasdale was my Great Uncle and lived at 86 Trafalgar Road from about 1890 ish to about 1922. My grandmother lived at 104a Trafalgar Road till about 1960 and we lived at 120 from 1954 till about 1967.

Brummiephile

« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2018, 03:20:09 PM »

Here are a couple of photos of Trafalgar Rd...

Hi Phil, I have tried to send you a personal message but was told I wasn't allowed to (!). Perhaps this is because I have only just registered. I was interested to come across this first photo of Trafalgar Road that you posted 2 years ago. The only house visible, on the right, is, I think, one I am very familiar with, and I was wondering if it would be possible for you to send me a higher definition scan so that I can zoom right in to study the windows. Thanks.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2018, 04:11:25 PM »
Hi Brunniephile,

You won't be able to send me a PM until you have made a minimum of five posts to the forum. Once you have met that criteria just send me an email address and indicate which photo it is and I'll be only too pleased to oblige if I am able.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2019, 03:55:00 PM »
A recently found early photo of Trafalgar Road, this one is looking uphill to Woodbridge Road from roughly Louise Lorne Road.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy