Author Topic: What do you hate most about Birmingham?  (Read 28206 times)

zaza

Re: What do you hate most about Birmingham?
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2006, 09:26:39 PM »
somewhat

kadoodey

« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2006, 10:30:04 PM »
what i hate about birmingham is the way the people dress,like little lambs they all follow each other and must wear brand names,trouble is they all look the same!
i hate the graffiti,gardens that look like steptoes back yard!the swearing amongst the younger generation,and older!the glum faces that never smile,so what are the nice things about brum then???????

Liz

« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2008, 04:08:56 PM »
yes i know this is an old thread, but just wanted to say, i think the new bullring is great (not just for clothes shopping reasons ;) ) but i believe the layout is so much more alike to the 'olden days' 1800s (from what ive seen on photographs) than the 60s shopping centre ever was.  what d'ya think?

Graham

« Reply #25 on: February 29, 2008, 07:52:20 PM »
what i hate about birmingham is the way the people dress,like little lambs they all follow each other and must wear brand names,trouble is they all look the same!
i hate the graffiti,gardens that look like steptoes back yard!the swearing amongst the younger generation,and older!the glum faces that never smile,so what are the nice things about brum then???????
Ditto!

And the shopping centre now looks just the same as any shopping centre in Europe, all the same shops, all the same brands, all the same goods. Birmingham has missed a great chance to be outstanding in Europe, attracting many tourists=£££. But then again they would all run away from those sour faces >:(

frederick

« Reply #26 on: February 29, 2008, 09:45:07 PM »
i think the secret is keep things olde worlde we have towns and villages down here in west wales that are porously keep that way and locals and visitors love it, we do have the out of town shopping areas, there is a town in england that the prince of wales had influence over and it was built to old architectural lay out and it has gone down very well with tourists and everyone and it looks olde worlde stunning.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Mikey

« Reply #27 on: February 29, 2008, 10:07:20 PM »
After being away from Birmingham for nearly forty years, I'm not in a position to comment fairly but what I remember most from a visit there in 1979 were the extremely crowded footpaths, the unhappy faces and the general rush everywhere. No-one seemed to have a minute to spare to enjoy the nicer things. All large cities have the same problem, but after living in a smaller city for so long where these problems are non-existent, it saddened me somewhat to realise how much the people of my old city were missing.
I am not young enough to know everything

Graham

« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2008, 12:43:50 AM »
My 'new' (for 40 years now) hometown, can you blame me for staying here?

http://outdoors.webshots.com/slideshow/562402932uhVQWU;jsessionid=abcdlRXdoX-5X9LNWWNHr

This is a residents and tourists paradise.

Jacqueline

« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2008, 03:17:50 AM »
Ok ANGRY NOW. >:(

Had not looked at this thread for a while and just read the response from ZAZA.

As i said a light smack did work. For your information i was NEVER beaten as a child neither were any of my children. Some people judge too quick. Seems like if the cap fits wear it sunshine.

mazbeth

« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2008, 10:29:11 AM »
but what I remember most from a visit there in 1979 were the extremely crowded footpaths, the unhappy faces and the general rush everywhere. No-one seemed to have a minute to spare to enjoy the nicer things. All large cities have the same problem...
yes, it's always been a problem in large crowded cities, so isn't about B'ham really...

but if you go to the parks or other, less crowded places. you will still find friendly people, more relaxed, as Birmingham people are no worse than any others, and infact are very down to earth and friendly people when there is time away from responsibilities and time deadlines.

Not everyone can move away because of family responsibilities, much as I would love to move to the countryside (in a dream world), I would not want to leave England as I have experienced love here from family and friends and would not want to leave that.
Let those that love us, love us. And those that don't, may God turn their hearts. And, if He cannot turn their hearts, May He turn their ankles so we may know them by their limping!- Irish blessing

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2008, 01:10:36 PM »
As I am one who no longer pays any Rates the Birmingham City Council,  and as I have lived outside Birmingham for many years now.  I feel this debars me from any criticism I may have on the City and of its people, but not from any praise I may wish to endow on it.  Firstly I would like to say, at least Birmingham tries. Twice in the last fifty years it has entirely remodelled its city centre.  What other city has done that?   What other city has had the guts to stand up and say “right we made a mistake, let’s try again”.

As for some of the fatuous comments that have been made, take for instance these comments by “kadoodey”

“what I hate about birmingham is the way the people dress,like little lambs they all follow each other and must wear brand names,trouble is they all look the same!
i hate the graffiti,gardens that look like steptoes back yard!the swearing amongst the younger generation,and older!the glum faces that never smile,so what are the nice things about brum then?”

What part of this statement is exclusive to Birmingham, having travelled extensively around these Isle I find Birmingham no different to any other major city in this country.  As for the glum faces that never smile.  What I put this rubbish down to is that we tend to see reflections of ourselves in the faces of others. Then these comments are further endorsed by Graham,

“Ditto!

And the shopping centre now looks just the same as any shopping centre in Europe, all the same shops, all the same brands, all the same goods. Birmingham has missed a great chance to be outstanding in Europe, attracting many tourists=£££. But then again they would all run away from those sour faces”

Graham, I think you will find that tourism is on the increase, so our “sour faces” and the nondescript shopping centre is pulling in the visitors from all over England and the rest of the world.  London is having to bribe exhibitors away from the N.E.C. and business at the Conference centre and the N.I.A. is booming. On the whole tourism in Birmingham is on the increase. So Birmingham City must be doing something right.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Graham

« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2008, 08:46:23 PM »
As I am one who no longer pays any Rates the Birmingham City Council,  and as I have lived outside Birmingham for many years now.  I feel this debars me from any criticism I may have on the City and of its people, but not from any praise I may wish to endow on it.  Firstly I would like to say, at least Birmingham tries. Twice in the last fifty years it has entirely remodelled its city centre.  What other city has done that?   What other city has had the guts to stand up and say “right we made a mistake, let’s try again”.
Phil,

That makes me wonder how long it is going to take before they realize this latest mistake? How long do you think that 'Peanut' will last before they pull it down? Where I live in Ghent they haven't remodelled it they have restored it to it's original glory.

As for the sour faces I started a topic on this many moons ago, and I think that I said to you then that you should travel more, then you might see the difference. I was in Brum some two years ago and everyone (well most) walk around with a long face, not daring to look you in the eye, and if they do look up they all seem to be looking for a fight! Frightening! Do the test yourself, walk around Brum smiling and nodding to passers by.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy