Author Topic: What do you hate most about Birmingham?  (Read 28205 times)

spyro2000

What do you hate most about Birmingham?
« on: May 13, 2006, 03:10:59 AM »
Read the title please :)
Theres no place like 127.0.0.1

bossd

Re: What do you hate most about Birmingham?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 01:43:17 PM »
The segregation in the city. There are definate area divides between black, asian and white people. what winds me up is feeling uncomfortable walking thru certain areas because of the colour of my skin.
The world is yours

Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2006, 12:26:20 AM »
The segregation in the city. There are definate area divides between black, asian and white people. what winds me up is feeling uncomfortable walking thru certain areas because of the colour of my skin.

I wonder if it works both ways. If a white person feels worried about walking in a black area, does a black or asian feel intimited about walking in a white area?

AnnMarie

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2006, 08:06:01 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I will probable be in the minority but--I HATE THE BULL RING--it's lost it's heart and soul.

Cheers.

AnnMarie :( :( :(

Rupert

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2006, 11:10:52 PM »
  I can understand what you say about the Bull Ring. I have not been there recently but remembering it as it was in the 1950s as you say it had flavour and vitality. Even the old fish market that had its roof destroyed in the war was ok by me I guess you become comfortable with what you know. There may have been Marshall Aid to fix Germany but it did not stretch far enough to fix the roof on the market. Anyway, the planners should be careful about what they destroy. In North
America they go out of their way to try to create the old English abode look. In fact when you come to the UK one of the things you notice is how refreshingly comfortable the old towns and houses appear. Some of the slums had to go though but I wonder how many fine buildings have bit the dust in the name of modernisation, when they could have been refurbished and included in the scheme of things. I used to visit the old reference library next to the town hall when I lived in Brum, but I notice that it is gone now. I don't know what it has been replaced with but I am sure that it would be impossible to come close to the wonderful Victorian architecture of the old building. In my opinion anyway.

AnnMarie

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2006, 05:36:59 AM »
Hi Rupert.

I'm glad that I'm not the only one to remember the "Old Bull Ring" We used to go up the steps to the Fish Market--minus the roof--my Gran would buy some cods roe for our tea, the cobble stones under the feet was a bit hard for us young girls with our high heels. Sunday was a treat listenieng to the "speakers' standing on their boxes. The escape artist trying to get out of his chains.  I was in the new Bull Ring two years ago and could have cried when looking at the "The Bra" I think it's Selfridges, what a terrible looking building--and right next to the wonderffull Church--Saint Martins--

Cheers

Ann Marie :)

Rupert

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2006, 02:12:34 PM »
AnnMarie,
  If you have not seen the other forum..http://forums.birminghamhistory.co.uk/ go there and you will see more on The Bull Ring. Even a picture of the old fish market with the roof on!! Nice talking to you.
Regards.
P.S. Try clicking the http included, it might get you there.

ACE

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2006, 01:04:01 PM »
THE PEOPLE.

bossd

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2006, 01:29:46 PM »
Remember the old bull ring???? Im 24 and I remember it perfectly ??? It wasnt that long ago
The world is yours

Rupert

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2006, 05:26:45 PM »
Hi Bossd,
You never saw the old bullring.

Melynda

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2006, 03:19:27 PM »
RAIN RAIN RAIN...it always rains in Birmingham

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy