Author Topic: Maypole  (Read 1401 times)

Mistermoss

Maypole
« on: October 01, 2016, 06:38:56 PM »
Hi, I hope I have the right board. I am the manager of a new Nursing Home being built in the Maypole area. Off Prince of Wales Lane. I am looking for names for some of the units within the home and thought famous local people would be appropriate. Any suggestions?

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Maypole
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2016, 07:26:28 PM »
Hi Mistermoss

I can't bring to mind any famous people that hail from the Maypole area, but the name Percy Shurmer should bring a glimmer of recognition to the eyes of many of the older residents of any nursing home especially if they hail from the south side of Birmingham.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

planetmalc

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2016, 12:36:23 PM »
Hi Mistermoss

I can't bring to mind any famous people that hail from the Maypole area, but the name Percy Shurmer should bring a glimmer of recognition to the eyes of many of the older residents of any nursing home especially if they hail from the south side of Birmingham.

The Chamberlain family lived at Highbury Hall which is just down the road in Kings Heath.
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

lutleyyeltz

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2016, 07:49:03 PM »
Peter Aldis, ex Villa player. The family ran a grocery shop at The Maypole in the 50s/60s.
He played 294 games for the club.
Ann Jones ,Wimbledon champion in 1969 was also born in Kings Heath as was Olympic medallist Tommy Godwin.
The inventor of Cluedo, Anthony Pratt, was a local  KH man.

townie

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2016, 08:43:02 AM »
Thomas Docker owner of Maypole farm 1840.
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

baz

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2016, 09:58:22 PM »
As I remember it, Prince of Wales lane was Warstock and Highters Heath !

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy