Author Topic: Then & Now  (Read 47441 times)

Phil

• Global Moderator
Re: Then & Now
« Reply #825 on: September 24, 2017, 03:23:32 PM »
Now we head up Spiceal Street to the Bull Ring (not Bullring) where we started our journey. One view look up and the other looking back.

In the first photo the top right hand photo is from the John Ball website, when I first joined this forum some 10 years back I recounted an amusing tale about the two lads in the photo, I knew them well. Little did I know then that years later I would come across a photo of them.

In the second photo the "then" image is by Phyllis Nicklin collection.
Make Love Not War

Phil

• Global Moderator
« Reply #826 on: September 24, 2017, 07:11:34 PM »
Here we are back where we started nearly a year ago, I think it would have taken me as nearly as long to walk it these days . This is the last image of this around Birmingham trip that I will post now. Though of anybody has somewhere they would like to see, just let me know and I will try my best to oblige.
Make Love Not War

Akatarawa

« Reply #827 on: September 25, 2017, 02:39:52 AM »
Thanks for that grand tour Phil.  My memories of Brum really only go up to about 1963'ish,  so much of the redevelopment and roading is new to me, it was an eye opener.

frederick

« Reply #828 on: September 25, 2017, 09:46:45 AM »
The top left picture looks like many of our small country towns.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Phil

• Global Moderator
« Reply #829 on: September 25, 2017, 11:27:00 AM »
The top left picture looks like many of our small country towns.

Well Fred that's how Birmingham started as a "small country town" the difference being it soon amalgamated other surrounding little country towns and villages that due to endeavours of three gentlemen called Boulton, Murdoch & Watt it became one of the first industrialised towns of the industrial revolution thus attracting thousands of unemployed farm workers from the surrounding countryside.
Make Love Not War

Scipio

« Reply #830 on: September 25, 2017, 08:53:19 PM »

Well Fred that's how Birmingham started as a "small country town" the difference being it soon amalgamated other surrounding little country towns and villages that due to endeavours of three gentlemen called Boulton, Murdoch & Watt it became one of the first industrialised towns of the industrial revolution thus attracting thousands of unemployed farm workers from the surrounding countryside.

Yes Phil , as I'm sure you'll agree we wouldn't have wanted it any other way .

JudithM

« Reply #831 on: September 28, 2017, 01:25:52 PM »
Thanks for the tour.
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

astoness

« Reply #832 on: September 28, 2017, 09:38:51 PM »
thanks from me too phil...as you might expect from me i much prefer the then photos... O0

lyn

jamesm

« Reply #833 on: September 28, 2017, 09:58:12 PM »
Really enjoyed the tour Phil, thank you very much. O0

Phil

• Global Moderator
« Reply #834 on: September 28, 2017, 10:48:26 PM »
Thank you to those who have voiced their appreciation of my efforts, I can only say I enjoyed doing the journey as much as you seem to have enjoyed accompanying me. Don't forget if anyone would like to see any of the streets or locations I was unable to include then please let me know.
Make Love Not War

JudithM

« Reply #835 on: September 29, 2017, 01:33:31 PM »
Thank you to those who have voiced their appreciation of my efforts, I can only say I enjoyed doing the journey as much as you seem to have enjoyed accompanying me. Don't forget if anyone would like to see any of the streets or locations I was unable to include then please let me know.

The thing is, if we just wait a couple of years you could do this again & all the 'now' pictures would be completely different!

What's the saying?  Birmingham will be nice when it's finished? ;D
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"