Author Topic: Then & Now  (Read 339510 times)

mikejee

Re: Then & Now
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2016, 07:00:42 PM »
Malcolm. I suspect it is an automatic response by some system on the forum. At one time systems like this caused a great deal of trouble for people living in Penistone. With relation to Frankley Beeches Road, think of a male hen, so to speak.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2016, 07:04:45 PM »
Malc

I didn't realise that the road name had been censored by the word filter, Mike has hit it on the head a male chicken describes the word very well.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2016, 07:10:33 PM »
Back on the Bristol Rd now at the junction of Bristol Rd South and Lickey Road.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2016, 08:46:19 PM »
Just up Bristol Road South on the left hand side at the junction of Ashill Road stood the Longbridge Hotel, another fine old pub that has now gone.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2016, 09:15:44 PM »
Now further up into Rubery around the area where New Rd started. These two photos show each side of the new A38 the old photos are from the D J Norton collection.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

cocacolakid

« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2016, 10:34:57 PM »
Mike & Phil..

Thanks for reply & info.  I wonder if the automatic censor will work when I tell you that the top left picture of Rubery is called [censored] Hill Lane?? I lived in Rubery in the early 60s, after leaving Balsall Heath. I had a mate who lived in one of the cottages that you can see on the right.

Malc.
Every day is a gift, that's why they call it the present.

cocacolakid

« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2016, 10:38:30 PM »
Mike & Phil..

Well what a prude!!  I have seen swear words on the forum in the past, that have not been censored.

Malc.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2016, 11:04:54 PM »
Malc

The Automatic filter is set up to remove all swear words and words that are used as swear words, It's as it should be. I have been on forums where anything goes and to be quite honest I find them disgusting.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

cocacolakid

« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2016, 10:59:29 AM »
Malc

The Automatic filter is set up to remove all swear words and words that are used as swear words, It's as it should be. I have been on forums where anything goes and to be quite honest I find them disgusting.

Phil..

I could not agree with you more, regarding bad language on the forum, I hate to see foul language on any public site, like you, I find it disgusting. You see a lot of it on Facebook , for instance. I admit to using swear words from time to time in my own home, I do not use them in public, or in the media.  My remarks were a bit tongue in cheek, but having said that, it is a pity the automatic filter can't distinguish between genuine words as used in place or street names, as they are not offensive. I note that if you put Cox St West on the forum, the filter does not censor it, even though it sounds the same as the name of the lane I mentioned, when used in the spoken word.

Malc.

JudithM

« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2016, 01:27:52 PM »
OK, so basically, this thread so far has mainly been my daily commute for both the 61 & 63 bus routes  ;D  It's interesting to see just how much has changed, even in the 20ish years I've lived in the area.

Did they ever reopen the pub under The Grosvenor Shopping Centre after it closed in the 70's?

Still trying to work that one out myself.  A while back, a new sign appeared on it - 'Medleys', but I've yet to see any indication that it's open!  if you Google it, you do see events listed - https://www.skiddle.com/whats-on/Birmingham/MEDLEYS-EVENT-LOUNGE-/
Maybe I just don't go past late enough to see it looking open  :P
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2016, 02:24:21 PM »
Judith

To be quite honest try as I could I was unable to recall the name of the pub under the Grosvenor shopping centre so I looked it up. It's was The Dukes (of course I remember it now). I never once in the perhaps 20 or so times that I used it found it anywhere near crowded. Perhaps it never really took off and that is why it closed.

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy