Author Topic: Then & Now  (Read 339562 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Then & Now
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2016, 02:28:51 PM »
Moving back now to Lickey Road, looking back toward Northfield. It was around this point that a certain Mr Austin opened a car factory, Anybody remember it because it's gone now.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

mikejee

« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2016, 10:57:48 PM »
I went in the Dukes  a number of times when I lived in northfield in the 1970s. It was always very quiet, and I never saw it very crowded. I notice Streetview shows The Dukes looking open, but the date of the photo is 2014. It certainly didn't seem to be open when i went past on the bus a week ago

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2016, 11:22:12 PM »
Hi Mike

It's possible we had met before then Mike, or at least bumped in to each other before recent years because it was in the early 70's when I used the Dukes. Though I have to say that if on Bristol Rd I preferred the Bell over the road, at least it was more lively.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2016, 11:31:59 PM »
Now we are down the road at the Lickey Hills tram & bus Terminus, where most Birmingham families would have spent at least one Bank Holiday once in their lives.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

JudithM

« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2016, 01:03:28 PM »
I went in the Dukes  a number of times when I lived in northfield in the 1970s. It was always very quiet, and I never saw it very crowded. I notice Streetview shows The Dukes looking open, but the date of the photo is 2014. It certainly didn't seem to be open when i went past on the bus a week ago

Yes, it was Dukes, but it's now got Medley's as the sign.  Dukes closed a while back.  I can't remember exactly when the Medley's sign appeared, but it wasn't too long ago.  It's right by my bus stop so maybe I'll be nosey one of the days  ;D 

It's definitely open though, I've had another nose around the web & it has a facebook page -

https://www.facebook.com/medleysnorthfield/?ref=page_internal
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

JudithM

« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2016, 01:05:36 PM »
Moving back now to Lickey Road, looking back toward Northfield. It was around this point that a certain Mr Austin opened a car factory, Anybody remember it because it's gone now.

If you go to the new development & walk along the path by the river there is an Austin timeline set into the paving.  It's very interesting, yet sad at the same time as the final entry is about it all being demolished & redeveloped.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2016, 01:10:51 PM »
If you go to the new development & walk along the path by the river there is an Austin timeline set into the paving.  It's very interesting, yet sad at the same time as the final entry is about it all being demolished & redeveloped.

Judith

I keep saying that I must get up that to have a look at the way things look to now, but the most I have managed is to drive through the area on the way to some other destination.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

JudithM

« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2016, 01:26:57 PM »
Judith

I keep saying that I must get up that to have a look at the way things look to now, but the most I have managed is to drive through the area on the way to some other destination.

It is worth a visit just to look round, the landscaping along the river is really good.  There is free parking up to 2 hours as well. 

It looks like they have started on the other side of the road too now, the river's been diverted slightly to look more natural with a bend in it.  At the moment there's a lot of rubber liner on show, but I guess it'll be planted up with reeds etc. like they have on the shopping centre side.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2016, 02:09:23 PM »
Now after climbing Groveley Lane behind Cofton Park and then Coombs Lane we can head back the City through Longbridge & Kings Norton.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2016, 12:32:59 PM »
Before crossing Longbridge Lane where the Jolly Fitter once stood we can take a quick peek down Longbridge Lane toward Bristol Rd South. To a place where before the Rea was put into a culvert to make way for industrialisation the road once crossed over a bridge that spanned the Rea.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #54 on: October 27, 2016, 01:34:35 PM »
Heading down Turves Green we pass by Turves Green School on our right hand side now a Girls School and an Acadamy.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy