Author Topic: Then & Now  (Read 339527 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Then & Now
« Reply #583 on: July 17, 2017, 11:26:09 PM »
On our left we are now passing the first Odeon Cinema in the world, built in 1930 and later replaced with an up to date building but still suffered the same fate as most cinemas and ended up as a bingo hall and is now a banqueting suite I believe.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

JudithM

« Reply #584 on: July 18, 2017, 01:34:29 PM »
and as you most likely know phil pic 2 is unusual in that it not only shows the original crown annd cushion but behind it is the 2nd crown and cushion built to replace the original..pic 3 shows it gone

why on earth no 2 was demolished only to build no 3 on the same spot i will never know...it never did any good and a couple of years back it was used for selling fruit and veg and take away food but its been totally closed for some time now

lyn

I lived in that area at the time, right near the junction with Wellington Road/Aston Lane.  There was a lot of trouble at #2 with drugs - in wholesale quantities -and at one point someone was caught selling arms out the back of a car and the reason given for demolition was eradicate all that (similar to what happened with the Villa Cross pub inasmuch as they closed it down & reopened it as a job centre).

I think they had a grand idea of opening a much 'posher' pub in it's place, for an upmarket clientele, but that didn't work & shortly after the newest version opened the trouble started off again.  I lived in the area until '94 and I think the newest version had been closed more times than open by even that point.
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #585 on: July 18, 2017, 02:30:45 PM »
I think the kind of trouble you are both talking about is always down to bad management. I've lived and drank in some of the roughest areas in Birmingham and the gaffers of the pubs I used would never have allowed the type of trouble you are talking about (drugs) to take hold. Those that do I supposed are well compensated either by increased bar sales or other methods, but I am not about to believe that they do not know drug trafficking is taking place on the premises.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #586 on: July 19, 2017, 02:56:08 PM »
We are now at the junction of Haughton Road, where once stood 3 tower blocks now thankfully gone the way of most tower blocks built in the 50's & 60's.

A little further on and we are at the junction of Trinity Road and the location of Holy Trinity Church.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

JudithM

« Reply #587 on: July 20, 2017, 01:30:24 PM »
We are now at the junction of Haughton Road, where once stood 3 tower blocks now thankfully gone the way of most tower blocks built in the 50's & 60's.

A little further on and we are at the junction of Trinity Road and the location of Holy Trinity Church.

I used to live in the one furthest away in this photo!  On the 11th floor on the left - so 4 floors down from the top.  Not sure when that photo was taken, but if it was late '80's early '90's that was when I was living there!
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #588 on: July 20, 2017, 01:36:09 PM »
Judith

I have a feeling it was a lot earlier than the 80's as wasn't it all subways and underpasses by then along that stretch of Birchfield Road?
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #589 on: July 20, 2017, 06:04:05 PM »
We have now reached the end of Birchfield Road and we are standing at six ways Aston looking back where we have just come from.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #590 on: July 20, 2017, 06:05:22 PM »
And now still at Six ways looking down the Hill that is the start of Aston High Street.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #591 on: July 21, 2017, 04:25:24 PM »
Travelling down the hilly part of the High Street we pass by The ABC Orient on our left side.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #592 on: July 21, 2017, 04:26:28 PM »
Now at the bottom of the hill and we see The Barton Arms & the Aston Hippodrome
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

trap0001

« Reply #593 on: July 23, 2017, 06:07:09 AM »
Heading under the railway bridge we turn right onto Holly Lane. Passing the railway station we turn left at the island along Station Rd passing the Marston Green Tavern on the corner if Allcott Lane.

The Marston Green Station shot is wrong. I'm pretty sure the original photo looks from the opposite side of the bridge (approaching from Elmdon Lane).

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy