Author Topic: Then & Now  (Read 339541 times)

JudithM

Re: Then & Now
« Reply #957 on: April 15, 2019, 01:17:01 PM »
Looking up Newhall Hill from Parade a few changes here

There are still a few older buildings further up Newhall Hill though.
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Spud

« Reply #958 on: April 15, 2019, 04:53:21 PM »
Peterbrook Rd is definitely Shirley We have friends who  live there
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #959 on: April 16, 2019, 07:28:46 PM »
Travelling along Pershore Road in Stirchley towards town.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

JudithM

« Reply #960 on: April 17, 2019, 01:25:04 PM »
Travelling along Pershore Road in Stirchley towards town.
Not much difference - other than the vehicles & the tree growth!

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #961 on: April 17, 2019, 02:05:54 PM »
Yes Judith,  one of the things that this thread shows is that while some parts of Birmingham have hardy changed at all others have changed drastically. I have to note that few of the places that have changed drastically look worse now than they did before and some of the places that haven't charged at all are in drastic need of change.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #962 on: April 17, 2019, 06:20:35 PM »
Standing outside the Australian Bar (sorry Missing) looking across Hurst Street along Bromsgrove Street.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Ian Dalziel

« Reply #963 on: April 24, 2019, 05:35:59 PM »

It's been tidied up nicely, hasn't it? The decision to plant a few trees has enhanced the area. It was in one of the newer Uni buildings I think that they used to have a paternoster lift - a bit scary and some people would choose the staircase instead.

Yes, the Paternoster was a continually moving lift with no doors which you stepped on or off while it was moving. It could be scary, especially if, to avoid the queue we would hop on the opposite one and travel over the top or under the basement. A few years ago, I paid a nostalgic visit to Aston Uni (then Gosta Green CAT) and the Paternoster was bricked up. I was told that a student died trying to climb out when it jammed, and unfortunately, it started moving again before he managed it. 
Let's make the best out of a bad situation.

RoyMcC

« Reply #964 on: April 25, 2019, 07:46:40 AM »

Yes, the Paternoster was a continually moving lift with no doors which you stepped on or off while it was moving. It could be scary, especially if, to avoid the queue we would hop on the opposite one and travel over the top or under the basement. A few years ago, I paid a nostalgic visit to Aston Uni (then Gosta Green CAT) and the Paternoster was bricked up. I was told that a student died trying to climb out when it jammed, and unfortunately, it started moving again before he managed it.

Thanks Ian, never heard that. How tragic. I believe the Paternoster is now a thing of the past everywhere, but an ingenious solution in its day.

townie

« Reply #965 on: April 25, 2019, 08:45:04 AM »
Standing outside the Australian Bar (sorry Missing) looking across Hurst Street along Bromsgrove Street.

If this is the same car park that was there in the early 70s I could tell you a few stories  :)
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #966 on: April 25, 2019, 11:58:23 AM »
The junctions of Edgbaston Street, Pershore Street, Worcester Street and Dudley Street back early in the last century and again recently. I would say it's hardly recognisable today.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

JudithM

« Reply #967 on: April 25, 2019, 01:35:16 PM »
The junctions of Edgbaston Street, Pershore Street, Worcester Street and Dudley Street back early in the last century and again recently. I would say it's hardly recognisable today.
Completely unrecognisable.

I did read that they made an effort to re-establish the old road layout when the new Bull Ring complex was being constructed but with the vast majority of the old buildings round there long since obliterated it's a tad too little too late.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy