Author Topic: Then & Now  (Read 339485 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Then & Now
« Reply #968 on: April 26, 2019, 10:54:53 AM »
Looking up Hurst Street toward the Hippodrome Theatre.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

JudithM

« Reply #969 on: April 26, 2019, 01:08:49 PM »
On balance, I prefer the look of the old Hippodrome building.
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #970 on: April 26, 2019, 01:32:09 PM »
On balance, I prefer the look of the old Hippodrome building.

Judith

I also think that it was never the same without tha minaret type tower, it didn't stand out any more. It became just another run of the mill building.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

JudithM

« Reply #971 on: April 29, 2019, 01:06:33 PM »

Judith

I also think that it was never the same without tha minaret type tower, it didn't stand out any more. It became just another run of the mill building.
That was the thing about the old cinema & theatre buildings, there was something individual about them, something to make them stand out from the crowd as it were. 

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #972 on: April 29, 2019, 01:40:14 PM »
Here we have two rapidly changing scenes (after somewhat of a delay). The junction of Howe Street and AB Row and just behind that the junction of Belmont Row and Cardigan Street with the old cycle works that was later taken over by the Co-op. I note this area is now called Eastside, what's this mania with Birmingham  renaming whole chunks of the city, aren't the old named good enough, I believe the old name was Ashted named for Dr John Ash one of the founders of the General Hospital on Steelhouse Lane. Are we trying to forget people such as he?
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Scipio

« Reply #973 on: April 29, 2019, 08:40:48 PM »
Here we have two rapidly changing scenes (after somewhat of a delay). The junction of Howe Street and AB Row and just behind that the junction of Belmont Row and Cardigan Street with the old cycle works that was later taken over by the Co-op. I note this area is now called Eastside, what's this mania with Birmingham  renaming whole chunks of the city, aren't the old named good enough, I believe the old name was Ashted named for Dr John Ash one of the founders of the General Hospital on Steelhouse Lane. Are we trying to forget people such as he?

Phil I agree with what you say, it's like 1920's Chicago east side west side , I suppose that's where it originated . Let's hope we don't get their method of addresses or you might find yourself living 7 East 53rd St

If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

JudithM

« Reply #974 on: April 30, 2019, 12:57:44 PM »

Phil I agree with what you say, it's like 1920's Chicago east side west side , I suppose that's where it originated . Let's hope we don't get their method of addresses or you might find yourself living 7 East 53rd St
:D

The Broad Street area is being labelled West Side.  I agree with Phil that we should retain the old names for places, keep the history - good or bad - that goes with them.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #975 on: April 30, 2019, 01:56:55 PM »
Looking along Moor Street toward the Bull Ring from the corner of Carrs Lane.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

JudithM

« Reply #976 on: May 01, 2019, 01:08:49 PM »
Looking along Moor Street toward the Bull Ring from the corner of Carrs Lane.
I know which view I prefer...

Have you seen the new giant Primark that's now next to M&S?

JudithM

« Reply #977 on: May 01, 2019, 01:29:08 PM »
Have you seen what they want to plonk next to Curzon Street Station?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-48110404

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #978 on: May 01, 2019, 02:23:25 PM »
Judith

Believe me, there is nothing more that the developers would like to do (backed by the Council) than flatten Curzon Street station along with the Birmingham Proof House and build over the top of it.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy