Author Topic: Then & Now  (Read 339553 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Then & Now
« Reply #979 on: May 03, 2019, 03:31:52 PM »
Berkley Street off Broad Street looking down towards Holliday Street and the new Registry Office.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Scipio

« Reply #980 on: May 03, 2019, 09:08:34 PM »
Berkley Street off Broad Street looking down towards Holliday Street and the new Registry Office.

Phil that building at the end of Berkeley St was the old City of Birmingham PWD , years gone by a bad winter would see their open back lorries loading snow from the surrounding streets and dumping it in Gas St canal . I'm sure they must have had stables there also , whenever we followed a mounted policeman he would end up here dismount plus you could see straw flying around from one part of the yard
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

JudithM

« Reply #981 on: May 07, 2019, 12:53:14 PM »
One building survived the cull I see...

This is very near where I work & I have walked past the Register Office end many a time.  Good to see what it used to look like before all the identikit apartments & offices were put in.
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Scipio

« Reply #982 on: May 07, 2019, 08:31:06 PM »
One building survived the cull I see...

This is very near where I work & I have walked past the Register Office end many a time.  Good to see what it used to look like before all the identikit apartments & offices were put in.

Judith do you work in Holliday St ?
Mark Twain

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #983 on: May 07, 2019, 08:57:44 PM »
Scipio

As you said earlier the old wharf after falling out of use as a canal wharf it became a public works department. Sometime in the 80's or 90's it closed and it wasn't long before the old wharf  buildings became a warren of studio workshops an antique dealers. The wife and myself visited there several times and it was always  good afternoon out even if I got out of there without buying anything. I thought it was like a smaller version of Gloucester docks and couldn't understand why it had to close, but then along came the developers and explained that..
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Scipio

« Reply #984 on: May 07, 2019, 09:42:10 PM »
Scipio

As you said earlier the old wharf after falling out of use as a canal wharf it became a public works department. Sometime in the 80's or 90's it closed and it wasn't long before the old wharf  buildings became a warren of studio workshops an antique dealers. The wife and myself visited there several times and it was always  good afternoon out even if I got out of there without buying anything. I thought it was like a smaller version of Gloucester docks and couldn't understand why it had to close, but then along came the developers and explained that..

Phil I have good memories of the PWD , as kids we used to chat to some of the workers who used to sweep the streets , plus collect the snow in winter . One day one of the men was working in Granville St  I had just come out of Box's the general store with some sweets, he mentioned something about the sweets , I offered him one and for months after whenever  our paths crossed which wasn't often on a Friday afternoon , he'd take a half crown out of his pocket and pass the coin to me , with a little rendition of Any Old Iron . Most of the kids thought he was mad but I used to like the banter we had , I don't think he had any family so he may have enjoyed someone just taking the time to chat to him , Happy days 
Mark Twain

JudithM

« Reply #985 on: May 08, 2019, 01:28:12 PM »

Judith do you work in Holliday St ?
I work in Bridge Street, near the junction with Holiday Street.

JudithM

« Reply #986 on: May 08, 2019, 01:32:26 PM »
Scipio

It sounds like those buildings became what they are doing in Digbeth now.  It's a shame that that idea of independent workshops & vintage & artisan shops was not popular in the late twentieth century.  It would be a fantastic draw for the canal area. 

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #987 on: May 08, 2019, 01:46:47 PM »
Judith

One for you the corner of Bridge Street and Holliday Street going back to when it was The Boatmans Hall on the corner.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Scipio

« Reply #988 on: May 08, 2019, 08:34:35 PM »
Judith

One for you the corner of Bridge Street and Holliday Street going back to when it was The Boatmans Hall on the corner.

What year was that then Phil with Boatman's corner , although I'm sure the building was there between 1955-69 obviously not in the same application
Mark Twain

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #989 on: May 08, 2019, 08:53:43 PM »
Scipio

I can tell you that the boatman's hall was still there in 1955, but according to the information I have it was gone by 1961.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy