Author Topic: Then & Now  (Read 339482 times)

JudithM

Re: Then & Now
« Reply #1023 on: June 05, 2019, 01:22:45 PM »
Snow Hill Railway Station entrance in the early 50's and then again as it is today.

Well, at least there's still a flower seller there....
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Scipio

« Reply #1024 on: June 05, 2019, 08:41:16 PM »
Yes there is Phil , thats about the only good thing that can be said . All the old architecture gone to dust , only to make way for squre boxes . I would think that to get an architects degree nowadays would be pretty easy , the qualification required is you must be able to
draw boxes correctly .
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1025 on: June 05, 2019, 09:15:36 PM »
What was it they used to say, if you could draw a perfect circle freehand you would make a good artist or was it architect?
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Scipio

« Reply #1026 on: June 05, 2019, 09:49:00 PM »
What was it they used to say, if you could draw a perfect circle freehand you would make a good artist or was it architect?

Phil I was complimented as a kid by college boffins opposite the old old library by the fountain on my freehand straight lines I can also draw a decent circle freehand . Reason is I dabble a bit at drawing old buildings etc, I never got into architecture though with my lines and circles
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1027 on: June 06, 2019, 11:17:45 AM »
What Birmingham Council planning department class as improvement, my word would be vandalism. The junction of Balsall Heath Road and Alexander Roads in Balsall Heath/Edgbaston. The area around this photo was demolished for one reason only and that was to get rid of the red light district ultimately all they did was to manage to move it a few hundred yards to the other side of Calthorpe Park
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1028 on: June 09, 2019, 12:40:38 PM »
The view from the Cromer Road - Brighton Road looking down Moseley Road just before the point where the Alcester Road starts and Moseley begins.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1029 on: June 09, 2019, 01:36:07 PM »
Just outside Moseley Village on Alcester Road heading towards King Heath
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1030 on: June 10, 2019, 12:26:04 PM »

Once upon a time there stood a busy little pub on the corner of Emily Street and Dymoke Street called the Emily Arms. One day the local Council decided it was time they did something about the number of back to back slum housing in the area. So in the mid 1930’s they started demolishing the houses in a five and a half acre area around the pub.

The flats were completed by 1939 and officially opened by King George VI and Queen Elizabeth. It wasn’t long before it became evident that these flats were just further slums but on top of each other as opposed to back to back though the Emily Arms still remained a busy little house.

Within 50 years the Council decided that these flats just had to go, and because the Emily Arms got in the way of their new design it was decided to move it across the road to a new building which can be seen on the right-hand side of the “now” image. Unfortunately, new replacement pubs rarely have the same atmosphere as  the ones they replace and after a few short years and the obligatory change of name (The Hideaway) for failing pubs it closed and became a community centre.

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

JudithM

« Reply #1031 on: June 10, 2019, 01:07:52 PM »
Once upon a time there stood a busy little pub on the corner of Emily Street and Dymoke Street called the Emily Arms. One day the local Council decided it was time they did something about the number of back to back slum housing in the area. So in the mid 1930’s they started demolishing the houses in a five and a half acre area around the pub.

The flats were completed by 1939 and officially opened by King George VI and Queen Elizabeth. It wasn’t long before it became evident that these flats were just further slums but on top of each other as opposed to back to back though the Emily Arms still remained a busy little house.

Within 50 years the Council decided that these flats just had to go, and because the Emily Arms got in the way of their new design it was decided to move it across the road to a new building which can be seen on the right-hand side of the “now” image. Unfortunately, new replacement pubs rarely have the same atmosphere as  the ones they replace and after a few short years and the obligatory change of name (The Hideaway) for failing pubs it closed and became a community centre.
It's a story that's told over & over...
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1032 on: June 11, 2019, 09:28:52 AM »
Here we have two Acocks Green Pubs that are no longer with us but the on sites where they stood are supermarkets quite happily still serving the community.

The Red Lion now a Morrisons and The Dolphin now an Aldi and a Farm Foods, but in the attached image still a pet store and a blockbuster video shop.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1033 on: June 12, 2019, 08:47:57 AM »
A further two more pub site that are now Supermarkets in the Acocks Green area.

The Fox Hollies now a Lidl and the Gospel Oak now a Co-op.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy