Author Topic: Then & Now  (Read 339570 times)

frederick

Re: Then & Now
« Reply #1221 on: October 08, 2019, 05:06:38 PM »
Phil.    O0   Thanks for the info.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Scipio

« Reply #1222 on: October 08, 2019, 08:59:00 PM »
Gas Street canal basin back in the day, in reality this frontage view looks no different than today. It's the background that has changed,

Phil how kind of you to show the exact position of where I fell in the canal and nearly drowned in 1958, just under that bridge which is actually the entrance to the basin . One of the residents in the cottages dragged me out with a boat hook, he told the police I was going down for the third time , which is supposed to be terminal . Once out I spent the rest of the Saturday afternoon in The General stomach pump rear end police asking questions the other
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1223 on: October 09, 2019, 09:44:40 AM »
The first open air pool in Birmingham was in Cannon Hill Park on the site of where the MAC (Midland Arts Centre) now stands. It opened in 1837 and closed in 1932 because of new regulations laid down by the forerunner of the Dept of Health and Safety the Department of Health.

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

JudithM

« Reply #1224 on: October 09, 2019, 01:35:21 PM »
Gas Street canal basin back in the day, in reality this frontage view looks no different than today. It's the background that has changed,
The 2nd is pretty much the view I see every day by work  :D  You are right though, it is only the background that has changed.  The canal side buildings have been painted & refurbished, but look the same.
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Scipio

« Reply #1225 on: October 09, 2019, 08:47:26 PM »
The first open air pool in Birmingham was in Cannon Hill Park on the site of where the MAC (Midland Arts Centre) now stands. It opened in 1837 and closed in 1932 because of new regulations laid down by the forerunner of the Dept of Health and Safety the Department of Health.

Phil I supposedly swam if you can call it that after my ordeal in the canal ,that was in a pool in Cannon Hill late 50's early 60's the pool was full of old bricks and broken bottles on the bottom
Mark Twain

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1226 on: October 10, 2019, 08:14:00 AM »
Scipio

I don't think it would have been in this pool as it was definitely closed by 1932, I was a regular visitor to the park in the 50's and 60's and the only pools I can remember were the two boating pools,and what we used to call the breeding pool where nobody was allowed to fish and the paddling pool.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Scipio

« Reply #1227 on: October 10, 2019, 08:32:15 PM »
Scipio

I don't think it would have been in this pool as it was definitely closed by 1932, I was a regular visitor to the park in the 50's and 60's and the only pools I can remember were the two boating pools,and what we used to call the breeding pool where nobody was allowed to fish and the paddling pool.

Phil it certainly wasn't that pool , I'm not that old  . It must have been the paddling pool , because you could feel the debris against your gut .
Mark Twain

mike mancott

« Reply #1228 on: October 11, 2019, 11:01:08 AM »

Phil how kind of you to show the exact position of where I fell in the canal and nearly drowned in 1958, just under that bridge which is actually the entrance to the basin . One of the residents in the cottages dragged me out with a boat hook, he told the police I was going down for the third time , which is supposed to be terminal . Once out I spent the rest of the Saturday afternoon in The General stomach pump rear end police asking questions the other

At school our Art teacher took us to Gas Street Basin for sketching. My friend fell in (couldn`t have been you, Scipio, because this chap died years ago).
There was a certain amount of panic shown by the master but we got my friend out, rather well-coated in coal-dust infused water.
He was back at school next day, and the watch he was wearing when immersed, a source of envy by most of us who didn`t have watches, was still going strong.

mike mancott

« Reply #1229 on: October 11, 2019, 11:08:37 AM »
Phil, do you have a photograph of Ward End Park boating pool?  A friend and I took out a canoe, and it capsized.
My friend stepped out, the water coming up to his mid-calf. I rolled out, and became fully immersed, and fully wet through.
Happy days.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1230 on: October 11, 2019, 01:32:55 PM »
Phil, do you have a photograph of Ward End Park boating pool?  A friend and I took out a canoe, and it capsized.
My friend stepped out, the water coming up to his mid-calf. I rolled out, and became fully immersed, and fully wet through.
Happy days.

Mike

Have a look here,

http://www.birminghamforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=10065.msg707766#msg707766
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1231 on: October 14, 2019, 02:31:33 PM »
Looking down Pebble Mill Edgbaston from Bristol Road toward Pershore Road.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy