Author Topic: Then & Now  (Read 339545 times)

Spud

Re: Then & Now
« Reply #1287 on: December 12, 2019, 10:15:15 AM »
Joseph Lucas:
And to think he started as a jobless father of six selling paraffin oil for lamps from a handcart around the streets of Hockley.

And certain Mr W Canning gave him the money to start him off.
Walked past and visited  Lucas Formans Rd  more times than I cam remember. There was of course a Diecasting Foundry on the same site plus Lucas Transport. Did 31 years for Lucas.
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

MITCHELL

« Reply #1288 on: January 16, 2020, 06:19:19 PM »
Hi phil then & now very good to see, not been on here for a while doing  my ancestry looked at moms wedding certificate 1941 married st. catherines of siena it says they lived at 46 bristol road edgbaston i am trying to find ware abouts that was i wonder if you could help. martin

NUU50

« Reply #1289 on: April 14, 2020, 02:17:14 PM »
Very interesting message thread to read through

andrewpurcellmusic

« Reply #1290 on: May 09, 2020, 08:57:38 PM »
Looking down the High Street from Erdington Village Green.

Hello
My Name is andrew Purcell aka andrewpurcellmusic founder of erdingtonsound
I am a solo musician and also a Member of The Nigel Purcell Trio
I have seen this post of "Village green and the high street" and the question is....(Drum roll) Is the older picture copyrighted? if not...my latest album cover, If it is, who owns the copyright? because I would dearly love to use it as an album cover. I am only interested in the older photo...If this exists on its own, could I download it?

Yours
Andrew Purcell pp Nigel Ratcliffe

Brum Walker

« Reply #1291 on: December 09, 2020, 01:48:24 PM »
I know which version I preferred, but to be honest I've yet to visit the latest version, even though I have been to town many times since it was built I have yet to find a reason to visit the Bull Ring itself.
Phil,
I am looking for my own photograph of that bronze bull, because your pic looks remarkably like mine. I can't believe that guy in red would still be standing in that window!

I took my shot early one morning, in the early 2000's, on the way to New Street Station, to commence a journey to Settle and Carlisle railway!
Strange.

John   O0

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #1292 on: December 09, 2020, 07:45:30 PM »
John, Sad to say Phil no longer with us.
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Brum Walker

« Reply #1293 on: December 09, 2020, 09:10:47 PM »
Ah... Well... I am sorry to hear that Edmund. I didn't have an idea of that of course. My condolences to all concerned.
It certainly looks though that our two pictures were taken from almost the same spot.
 Regards John

tommoCo

« Reply #1294 on: February 02, 2022, 11:21:09 PM »
I'm new to the forum but wanted to say how much I liked what I have seen - Alum Rock Road near Southalls is where I grew up in the1950's, went to Nansen Road infants and juniors (1954 to 1961ish) the to Saltley Grammar (as it was then) 1961-68ish. I will look at the latest posts to see if I can make some contribution to the chats and memories.

Scipio

« Reply #1295 on: February 03, 2022, 06:15:55 PM »
I'm new to the forum but wanted to say how much I liked what I have seen - Alum Rock Road near Southalls is where I grew up in the1950's, went to Nansen Road infants and juniors (1954 to 1961ish) the to Saltley Grammar (as it was then) 1961-68ish. I will look at the latest posts to see if I can make some contribution to the chats and memories.

Welcome to the forum tommoCo I hope you enjoy the forum .
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Brum Walker

« Reply #1296 on: February 25, 2022, 01:30:04 PM »
I noted the information reference Lucas in Hockley. I had an Uncle who worked for Lucas's during the 1950s, 60s,70s. He arranged an interview for me at Well Street, after I left school in 1954. Unfortunately, I wasn't a Grammar School lad, and they commented that they didn't think I had the brain power to learn what I would need for their purposes. (Brain Power is my expression. They said 'not clever enough'!) In late 1954 I joined the RN and was the only non grammar school recruit in my class. With the help of the Naval Educational system I gained 6 Higher Educational Tests (Equivalent of GCE A levels.) inside three years. I left the Navy in 1964, but I didn't bother trying Lucas's again. I didn't do so badly with other people who recognised the 'status' of Naval Educational Tests... Yes they tested me, but I sailed through! Say no more.

John  O0

Spud

« Reply #1297 on: February 25, 2022, 04:42:57 PM »
The Entry Exams for their Engineering school was no walk in the Park I sat it nsion until I was 65. one of my School Teachers got me a place. I did not pass and did not join Lucas that is until around 12 years or so later when an Uncle who had worked for Lucas for years asked me if I was interested in a job. Must admit I had never worked for a big company and attended the interview with a little Trepidation but I was offered the job I took the job. I can honestly say after just a few hours at Old Joe's place I felt immediately at home. I stayed for 31 years. This was in the 1960s it was like joining a big family. 
Over the 31 years I worked for Lucas  things changed drastically but when I retired 25 years ago they really looked after me finding every last penny to make the most out of my pension they even paid me the state pension on top of my Lucas Pension until I was 65
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy