Author Topic: photos and info on Little Green lane and school,Aston about 1800's  (Read 4978 times)

katee47

Could anyone please help me in my quest to obtain information  and photos of  the area of Little Green Lane, Aston, think the boundary was changed to Short Heath at some point. and the school ,timeframe around late 1800's to mid 1900's. My great ,grandfather, Thomas Valentine Muddyman attended this school and as far as family history goes,lived in Little Green lane. Also, appreciate if anyone has any additional information on the family . All I have really is the above and that he was born in  1876. Have tried various venues and websites  and have only been able to get small amount of info and not what I want.
 So, even if no info ,thank you for reading this post.

townie

Re: photos and info on Little Green lane and school,Aston about 1800's
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2016, 09:12:41 AM »

Katee Little Green Lane was once part of Aston but now comes under Small Heath. I think that is the one you might mean. Not sure if there is anything left regarding houses but I think the roads still there. I have just looked on google maps and there are some houses and a school still standing 2015.
Little Green Lane Board School opened in 1878 with accommodation for boys, girls and infants. One of the first three woodwork centres for Birmingham board schools opened here in 1892. The school was altered and reorganised in 1929 for senior boys, junior mixed and infants departments. The Senior Boys Department closed in 1936. The school buildings were damaged by enemy action and closed in 1941. Part of the building was used as a special school and the remaining reopened in 1948 as a Junior and Infant School. The school was divided into two departments in 1950 on the opening of more classrooms.

This record is held by Birmingham: Archives, Heritage and Photography Service.
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2016, 11:02:28 AM »
Hi

Katee

Welcome to the forum, I think you are looking for Little Green Lane Small Heath and not Short Heath. I can supply you with a photo of the school and I will look you some photos of Little Green Lane itself later. I'm sorry but I'm not into genealogy and have no resources doe look ups, but we have a couple of members who visit the site who I'm sure will be able to help you.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

planetmalc

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2016, 05:45:40 PM »
Could anyone please help me in my quest to obtain information  and photos of  the area of Little Green Lane, Aston, think the boundary was changed to Short Heath at some point. and the school ,timeframe around late 1800's to mid 1900's. My great ,grandfather, Thomas Valentine Muddymanattended this school and as far as family history goes,lived in Little Green lane. Also, appreciate if anyone has any additional information on the family . All I have really is the above and that he was born in  1876. Have tried various venues and websites  and have only been able to get small amount of info and not what I want.
 So, even if no info ,thank you for reading this post.

Katee47: 'Muddyman'/'Muddiman' is a famous name from the Little Green Lane / Coventry Road area.      In my early post-war childhood there was a Muddiman's fishmongers premises on Coventry Road (opposite Chapman Road), just around the corner from Little Green Lane.       Phil has a photo showing Muddiman's (later replaced by a garage in the early 1950's) with the tower of Green Lane Library (which was on the corner of Little Green Lane) in the background.
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

katee47

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2016, 02:23:15 AM »
Dear Townie, thank you so much for the information on Little Green Lane school and area .am not sure if this is the correct place to reply but just wanted you to know I appreciated your info,sorry it too so long to answer but what with Christmas ,like most people have been exhausted lol .kind regards katee47

katee47

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2016, 02:25:39 AM »
Roy one, sorry it took me so long to say thank you for the information you sent me re: Little Green Lane School.very much appreciated. not sure if this is the right place to say thanks but hopefully you will get this message. kind regards Katee47

katee47

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2016, 02:27:50 AM »
dear Phil, not sure if this s the correct place but wanted to say thank you for your appreciated info re: little Green Lane School. appreciate any info people are willing to share and hopefully I may be able to reciprocate in the future. so thank once again .katee47

katee47

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2016, 02:31:07 AM »
dear planetmalc, just to say thank you for your information re: Little Green Lane School. very grateful for any info I can get about this. sorry for the delay in replying but was bsy with all that Christmas entails. kind regards Katee47

hannahgc

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2022, 03:21:37 PM »

Hello. Please could you tell me if this photograph in the public domain? I would like to use it in a history book. Many thanks!

Hi

Katee

Welcome to the forum, I think you are looking for Little Green Lane Small Heath and not Short Heath. I can supply you with a photo of the school and I will look you some photos of Little Green Lane itself later. I'm sorry but I'm not into genealogy and have no resources doe look ups, but we have a couple of members who visit the site who I'm sure will be able to help you.

Spud

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2022, 04:39:08 PM »
Unfortunately the member who posted the Photograph passed  away a couple of years ago
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy