Author Topic: Where to Live  (Read 7125 times)

Brum-Home-Seeker

Where to Live
« on: January 20, 2017, 09:19:45 AM »
Hello Everyone,

A work opportunity is moving me to Birmingham, and I plan to buy a property.  I have a budget of 200k, I want a house not a flat, and I dont want to live in a busy area (as I have cats).  Only looking at new builds.  Seem some lovely houses within range of my requirement, but then I've found the areas to be very undesirable.  Looking at 3-4 bed properties only.

I work from home, so dont need to commute, though do need to be near a train station incase I need to get into London or other areas for work (infrequently)

I've looked at Blackwell, Sutton Coldfield, Redditch, Studley, Tamworth, AlveChurch, Curdworth, Knowle, Mosely and I cannot afford to live here on my budget. 

Kings Norton came up, but I read its unsafe and full of chavs.  Chelmsley Wood and Hawkesley the same.  I dont want to buy in a place that feels unsafe to walk around.

Am I being too picky?  Will I ever find a place under the above terms?

Be very appreciative to receive opinions.

Many Thanks

roy one

• Global Moderator
Re: Where to Live
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 09:48:03 AM »

brum home seeker
                                 welcome to the forum   most big city's are much the same Birmingham is not on its own   but you say

I work from home, so dont need to commute, though do need to be near a train station incase I need to get into London or other areas for work (infrequently) so if you work from home why move ?
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Brum-Home-Seeker

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 10:29:33 AM »
very astute, I will elaborate in order to set the scene.  I live in Reading on a canal boat.  I want to buy a house.  I cant afford Reading (and frankly its a very underwhelming place anyway), so I want to improve my quality of life by moving north.  Considered Manchester, but not sure my work will allow me to move that far. Dont fancy changing home and job at the same time.  Plus very happy with the company I work for.  I need to get to London say once or twice a month, Manc is just too far.  Brum is pretty bad a commute but since its occasional I'd accept that.

I could just move out into the middle of no-where, but I'd prefer being nearish to a city for making friends and settling etc.

sleza

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017, 12:23:15 PM »
Hi,
Have you considered Quinton? Buses are very good up the Hagley Rd onto Birmingham , only takes about 20 minutes.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2017, 12:24:52 PM »
Brum Home Seeker

I think on your budget you can pretty well rule out a 4 bedroom property anywhere in the area of Birmingham. Just think what the same property would cost you in London as that is roughly the sort of area where you are moving from.  You could in fact purchase a canal boat in the midlands if you so desired, or even a bungalow on a mobile park as there are a few scattered around the outskirts of Birmingham.

I think you might just be able to purchase a nice 3 bed property in one of the more desirous areas of Birmingham within your budget,

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/property/birmingham/3-bedrooms/

https://www.onthemarket.com/for-sale/3-bed-houses/birmingham/

Take a look through these and come back with any questions you may have concerning suitability, location, facilities and so forth.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

GardenGerald

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2017, 01:07:14 PM »
Hello Homeseeker
You could look at Evesham, some houses there for 180.000. Nice place to live.
Best of luck
Gerald.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2017, 01:52:24 PM »

I live in Reading on a canal boat.

you did not say if you own the narrow boat if you did you could find a mooring  in or around Birmingham and just  move your narrow boat  O0
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

kelvinosondu

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2017, 04:44:20 PM »

Hello Everyone,

A work opportunity is moving me to Birmingham, and I plan to buy a property.  I have a budget of 200k, I want a house not a flat, and I dont want to live in a busy area (as I have cats).  Only looking at new builds.  Seem some lovely houses within range of my requirement, but then I've found the areas to be very undesirable.  Looking at 3-4 bed properties only.

I work from home, so dont need to commute, though do need to be near a train station incase I need to get into London or other areas for work (infrequently)

I've looked at Blackwell, Sutton Coldfield, Redditch, Studley, Tamworth, AlveChurch, Curdworth, Knowle, Mosely and I cannot afford to live here on my budget. 

Kings Norton came up, but I read its unsafe and full of chavs.  Chelmsley Wood and Hawkesley the same.  I dont want to buy in a place that feels unsafe to walk around.

Am I being too picky?  Will I ever find a place under the above terms?

Be very appreciative to receive opinions.

Many Thanks

Best of luck. Have you considered Harbone? or Edgbaston

GardenGerald

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2017, 08:52:15 PM »
Hello Brum Home Seeker
Roy gave you very good advice and I would like to add 'The Wocester Canal' Lots of places to moor and a barge repair depot at
Tardebigge. Lovely countryside and several locations you could catch a train from. Also some excellent fishing.
Nice bit of stuffed Pike for supper.
Best of luck
Gerald.

pat11

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2017, 01:27:48 AM »
Harborne and Edgbaston are nice areas but £200,000 wouldn't get you what you want there.  Perhaps Kings Heath would be a good choice.  Vibrant High Street with cafe' society.  Plenty of wine bars/restaurants coffee houses and safe in the evening (no chavs).  Also not too far from the City.  £200,000 might only get you a 3 bedroom house though.

Shirley is another one with good shopping area, nice houses.  Some good restaurants and pubs but not as  trendy as Kings Heath.

Kindness is the best feature

townie

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2017, 01:14:41 AM »
Try Sparkbrook you could buy the whole area for £200 grand. One house could get your outlay back in a week. ;D
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy